Swimming with Dolphins in Nassau

connielou

Does anyone have any feedback about the Dolphin Encounter in Nassau?

I read the link on RCI's Website but it sounds like they talk to more about them rather than swim with them. Is this location is an aquarium or fenced off area in ocean? Trying to find an excursion by DD 16 will enjoy!

DW and I swam with the dolphins in St Martine (Anguilla). They told as a few things about dolphins and it made the excursion educational as well as fun . One thing thy tell you is "Don't touch the blowhole, or the dolphin may never swim up to you again" seems like good advice!

Anyway we had a blast, it was a large group in St Martine, so it was split in two while we were not with the dolphins we had time on Meads Bay... very nice sandy beach. Then they split each of those 2 groups into 3 groups and each of those had time with a dolphin and its trained (about 1/2 hour in the fenced area on the shore)

On the Mariner we were not in Nassau long enough for the dolphin excursion, so it was not offered by RCI.

Connielou--YES!! We did this while in Nassau last August. Dolphin Encounters was wonderful. If you want some pix, give me your email and I'll send you some.

My husband, 8 yr. old daughter and I went. They did the Encounter and I did the Swim. It was incredible. You definetly learn about them before you enter the water; you find out where you can and cannot touch them, etc. It's about a 10 minute instruction, tops. Dolphin Encounters is outdoors. I wouldn't call it an aquarium - there are no other animals there that I saw. They are not in a pool -- I suppose you could call it fenced-in from the ocean. It's about a 30 boat ride from the dock.

Any other questions, just ask.

Robin G

Connielou--YES!! We did this while in Nassau last August. Dolphin Encounters was wonderful. If you want some pix, give me your email and I'll send you some.

I would appreciate a look at your Dolphin Encounter Photographs. ally_shewan@yahoo.co.uk. Could you also tell me how long you each spend with each dolphin. We are booked with Royal caribbean excursion in May.

Thanks for your kindness]

We all just did this in Sept. and it was the highlight of our trip. You first sit and watch about a 10 minute video, and that's about the extent of the learning. Next you go and sit on a squared dock area with a group of about 12-15 people. The guide will take a small group of about half the people and have you stand on a floating platform that is about waist deep, with the dolphin being in the deep water in front of you. They will have the dolphin swim up and down the line of people letting you rub its belly. Then one person at time will get to kiss it, hug it, do a little dance with it, feel its teeth and pet it some more (about 3-5 minutes total). Every so often the guide signals for it spit water on someone making for a good laugh. So I would definitely recommend this anyone of any age.

Check out their website http://www.dolphinencounters.com/

There's some good info and pics here. Have fun!!!

I did the dolphin swim in nassau 2 years ago when I cruised with Carnival, and I absolutley loved it. It was a group of 10 in the water, so you did get time with the dolphins. Each person got time to take pics, pet the dolphins, etc. I was the only one in my group that actually did the swim, my friends watched, but the people there made me feel like part of the group. I was recommend doing this. They are in sort of a roped off section of the ocean. I would highly recomend this excursion. Enjoy your cruise!!:cool:

mercedesmom--I just sent the photos. Let me know if you don't get them.

BTW, I forgot to mention---My husband and daughter did the encounter and I did the swim. With the swim, you cannot touch the bottom of the swim area, the encounter is where you can stand. Also, with the swim, we were able to do a foot push with the dolphins. It really gets the blood pumping!!!

Robin

Archived