ferry from Moorea to Papeete before boarding (pros and cons)

CJtrip40

We will be spending two days at Hilton OWB on Moorea prior to our Paul Gauguin cruise. I just checked the ferry times to see when the ferry returns to Papeete.  The only two choices are to leave Moorea at 11:30 (arriving back in Papeete around 12:15) which means we'd have more than 2 hours to kill before we can board Paul Gauguin. (I know you can't board early and there aren't great facilities for those who come early to wait.) Or the ferry departing Moorea at 4:00 pm (arriving Papeete 4:45) which looks like we'd be boarding during the safety muster, assuming it's at 5 pm, and we'd miss the chance to go early to sign up for our preferred nights for the specialty restaurants.  And probably we'd miss the muster and then have to do it the next morning. . . . But, if we take the later ferry, we'd be able to spend more time enjoying the Hilton that morning, and not be rushed to check out earlier. Any thoughts from experienced cruisers which is the "less bad" alternative?

I just discovered there's a second ferry line between Tahiti and Moorea, with a ferry leaving Moorea at 3 pm.  That looks like a reasonable option that should enable us to board around 4:15 pm, I'm guessing.  Does anyone know how long it takes the ferry to unload your luggage? 

I was about to point that out (the second ferry line) after your first post!  Lol.  No worries.  I seem to think we took an earlier one, but I can't remember for sure, guess it depends on which day of the week it is.  It really is a five minute walk from the ferry.

As for the muster drill, I would imagine they do have a second one, quite well-attended, since some guests arrive on a late-night flight just before sailaway.

If you happen to arrive early, there is a second floor lounge at the ferry terminal that sells drinks and snacks, not a bad place to sit if you have to.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer