Disembarking for an on our own stay

lonagarr

We are staying for a few days on our own in Barcelona post cruise, and I know Viking usually assigns disembarking times for guests depending on what their further plans are. Has anyone else done this, and if so, what time did Viking assign for you to disembark?

32 minutes ago, lonagarr said:

We are staying for a few days on our own in Barcelona post cruise, and I know Viking usually assigns disembarking times for guests depending on what their further plans are. Has anyone else done this, and if so, what time did Viking assign for you to disembark?

When we did this we were assigned the latest disembarkation time (9:00, I think).   You have to be out of your cabin by 8:00 a.m., and your luggage has to be outside your cabin at 10:00 pm the night before if you want the crew to get your luggage ashore to the cruise terminal.  If you want to be responsible for getting your luggage off the ship you can hold on to it until you disembark. 

Edited by cocopico
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lonagarr said:

hello lonagarr

We were on Orion in January. I wrote this in an earlier CC Forum post ...

We disembarked a few days ago in Sydney. We packed our bags early on disembarkation morning then went to Explorers Lounge for waffles / breakfast. We took our bags with us to the Lounge and just left them in the corner out of the way. Several others did the same.

When we were ready, we simply walked off the ship with our bags. We had to be out of the room by 8am and off the ship by 9.30am - both easy to achieve if you are reasonable early risers. 

• Thanks 1

We were on Orion from Athens to Hong Kong (HK) arriving in October last year.  We stayed in HK for 10 days on our own.  Because we made our own arrangements, Orion assigned us to Group Black, which was the last group to get off the ship at 0930.  Viking took our bags from the ship to the Group Black bag area set up in Ocean Terminal HK, which was very easy to find.  The earliest group we heard from the ship was 0400, so check your air travel arrangements.  Viking wanted packed bags the day before disembarkation by 2000.   However, we saw that the staff was patrolling the passageways after that time to pick up late packers, but don't count on it.  If you put your bags out early, they take them also.  We were out of the room by the request time of 0800 and up to the World Cafe for a good breakfast (not like you have to worry about food in HK).  Viking also had pastries and coffee at the Viking Bar on Deck 2  on the way out. 

• Thanks 1

We have always arranged our pre  and post stays on our own.  On the last night of the cruise we do not put our bags out.  We took them with us to the Explorer's desk, had breakfast and then returned to pick them up before departure.  I didn't even know there was a departure time if you were on your own.

• Thanks 1

On our cruise last summer, there were many very early flights from Bergen.  We got off very early (there was coffee and pastries available I think in the World Cafe) and took ourselves off (we were assigned Black but you can leave when you want).  Those with early Viking transfers could get their luggage and get on their bus (well before 7).  Another time in Barcelona we ate in the Restaurant and left a little after 9:30 when our plane was later.  They did not rush all of us eating late out at the stroke of 9:30.  If your bags are carry on, it is just as easy to take them off yourselves but if not, they will be out for pick up when you disembark.

• Thanks 1

I think most people are responding to how late you can disembark (which makes sense), but if you are interested in leaving earlier it's no issue. For example, an extreme case: faced with a very early disembark for an early flight from Bergen, we opted to get off the evening before. Not a big deal at all; we settled up and walked off with Viking's blessing. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/21/2019 at 7:32 PM, cocopico said:

When we did this we were assigned the latest disembarkation time (9:00, I think).   You have to be out of your cabin by 8:00 a.m., and your luggage has to be outside your cabin at 10:00 pm the night before if you want the crew to get your luggage ashore to the cruise terminal.  If you want to be responsible for getting your luggage off the ship you can hold on to it until you disembark. 

Last week our transfer from the Viking Sky to the airport in Amsterdam was at 2:30pm. We had to be out of the room by 8am but they allowed us back onto the ship until our transfer time. Last year when we finished in Barcelona, we just kept our bags overnight and left the ship at 8am and grabbed a cab to our hotel for 15 Euros.

• Thanks 1

We will have a Viking transfer for a flight at 11:30 (from LHR). For those with relevant experience, how long before flights does Viking like to get you to the airport? Or, how early are they likely to disembark us?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

On 4/23/2019 at 9:16 PM, just_dont said:

We will have a Viking transfer for a flight at 11:30 (from LHR). For those with relevant experience, how long before flights does Viking like to get you to the airport? Or, how early are they likely to disembark us?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

For our flights, they got us to the airport in Amsterdam just shy of 3 hours before our flight. This was consistent with a previous year as well in Rome.