When ship sponsored shore excursions include a packed lunch.. they include:

individual poptop can of tuna.

individual packet of mayo

small roll

individual poptop can of sliced peaches

small bag of potato chips

cookie (sometimes)

bottle of juice

On a Panama Canal crossing in a small ferry (we were on Summit) we had prepared cheese sandwiches.

I don't think there'd be anything illegal about taking American food from the ship if you were going to another American port, like Alaska or Key West. If the daily tells you not to, however, that's another story. Anyone??

To the original posts, you are not supposed to take food off the ship in any port. This will be highlighted during the announcements.

Flashdog1, while once in a while someone will do this, it is illegal and I don't think it's a good idea to spoil ones trip by doing this.

Keith

In the past I have seen bags inspected for food.

So why take it?

It may surprise you, food is for sale everywhere...

or have a real big breakfast before leaving the ship....

One of the things I enjoy about visiting other countries is trying their food. :)

When we have traveled with small children we have taken a box of Cheerios or package of crackers with us, and not had a problem. In some ports there are huge signs saying "No Food off the Ship" or "No Produce off the Ship". These countries, especially in the Caribbean, have very delicate ecosystems that could be destroyed if fruit flies or some other bug were to be introduced.

PLUS....these are very poor countries, they really need the few dollars you have to spend on food....so try something new and be adventureous!

On a Panama Canal crossing in a small ferry (we were on Summit) we had prepared cheese sandwiches.

I don't think there'd be anything illegal about taking American food from the ship if you were going to another American port, like Alaska or Key West. If the daily tells you not to, however, that's another story. Anyone??

Got burned in Key West on the INCOMING side. Tenders were awful. Didn't have time to eat our Crabby Bill's lunch, so decided to have it to go. The idjits at security at the top of the gangway wouldn't let us bring our good old Amercun-made fried clams, etc., with us on board, and since we were already at the ship, and no more tenders were planned, we just had to dump it. $60 worth of food for 5 down the tubes. They insisted it was in the daily. I insisted that it was NOT (it isn't -- only outbound is mentioned). I'm still really annoyed by that one.

I can assure you that food and drinks in Mexico are safe. Especially in the towns where cruise-ships or many tourists come.

Only drink bottled drinks, check the seal etc. In every restaurant food is o.k. Be careful with salads. Donot buy food from the stalls along the road.

Most problems occur from drinking TOO cold drinks, that is bad for your stomach. Donot take ice in your drinks, leave bottles warm up before you drink it.

I have been to Mexico various times in different locations, never had any problems.

Archived