Can you change names without penalty?

sweetlife

I know the cruise I am going on in May of 2020.  I know I will get two balcony rooms,  4 in each.  But I do not know who exactly will be joining me.  I'd love to reserve the rooms, and add the names later.  Is that possible?  Or do I have to pick names, and then pay a penalty when I change?  The penalty threat is keeping me from booking.  Thanks for any input.

40 minutes ago, sweetlife said:

I know the cruise I am going on in May of 2020.  I know I will get two balcony rooms,  4 in each.  But I do not know who exactly will be joining me.  I'd love to reserve the rooms, and add the names later.  Is that possible?  Or do I have to pick names, and then pay a penalty when I change?  The penalty threat is keeping me from booking.  Thanks for any input.

NAME CHANGES

A name change is the cancellation of one guest and the addition of a new guest on a booking. An original guest must remain on the booking, otherwise, this is considered a full stateroom cancellation and applicable cancellation penalties will be assessed to the original guests; new guests will be subject to prevailing cruise and air rates.

Please note: Carnival reserves the right to impose restrictions on name changes based on special circumstances at a sailing level.

For bookings that do not include airfare booked through Carnival, and not booked under a restricted/non-refundable fare*, there is no charge for a name change.

*Restricted and Non-Refundable fares include the following but not limited to these promotions: Early Saver, Pack & Go, Super Saver, etc.

If your booking is made under a restricted/non-refundable fare*, please check the Terms and Conditions of the specific promotion to see if name changes are permitted. If name changes are not allowed, the original guest will be subject to a non-refundable deposit (or full fare) or applicable cancellation penalties. An additional deposit will be required for the new guest.

The following name change guidelines pertain to bookings that include Carnival's Fly2Fun Flexible Air and Restricted Air: 

• If you have booked Fly2Fun Flexible Air and it is outside of the penalty period, there is no fee for a name change; the new guest will need to purchase a new air ticket at prevailing rates.
  •  If you have booked Fly2Fun Flexible Air and it is within penalty period, the original guest is subject to applicable cancellation penalties (plus a $200 service fee if within 60 days prior to sailing); the new guest will need to purchase a new air ticket at prevailing rates.
  •  If you have booked Fly2Fun Restricted Air, at the time of booking, the air is non-refundable; the new guest will need to purchase a new air ticket at prevailing rates.

To make a name change or to find out the exact fees that would be charged on your booking to do the change, please give us a call at 1-800-438-6744 and our Guest Services team will be more than happy to assist. Please note, if you are booked through a travel agency, you will need to contact your travel professional for assistance.

• Like 1

You can just use TBD until 90 days before the cruise when actual data and names must be inputted.

Going from TBD to an actual name is not a name change.  Since the OP is booking 2 cabins, she will need hers and another actual name to secure the 2nd cabin.  If that person bails, then a name change fee will be posted.  She can use TBD for the other occupants.

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1

We've been able to add a person later on our last two cruises. Well, last year's cruise and the one we've booked for next year. When we booked last year's, the family that was originally going with us cancelled. Their kids were rooming with our son. After they cancelled, we let him bring a friend, but didn't know who that would be, so our PVP let us add that person later. It's a similar situation for next year's cruise. He'll probably take another friend, but doesn't know who yet, so again, our PVP has left him in his 2-person cabin by himself. We still have to pay for 2 people even though it's just our son right now because the price is based on double occupancy. Then after we add someone, they'll adjust the taxes, fees and add an additional prepaid gratuity. I think we have until our final payment date to add someone. But be aware, it is possible for the ship to reach capacity before you add someone. I think it's pretty rare, but if it happens, you're out of luck. This is where a PVP comes in handy. They can often handle things like this better than a regular customer service rep.

In regards to sredish's post, adding a name later is not the same as a name change. A name change is what the OP described at the end of their comment. Booking a person in a cabin, then having to change to someone else later. Booking an Early Saver rate does not allow name changes, but if you book one of the other rates, you can change people out without penalties. If you do book ES and need a name change, it's possible (we had to do that too when the family cancelled on us) but it's more involved and you have to pay the $50/person cancellation fee.

Edited by Organized Chaos
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

In regards to sredish's post, adding a name later is not the same as a name change. A name change is what the OP described at the end of their comment. Booking a person in a cabin, then having to change to someone else later. Booking an Early Saver rate does not allow name changes, but if you book one of the other rates, you can change people out without penalties. If you do book ES and need a name change, it's possible (we had to do that too when the family cancelled on us) but it's more involved and you have to pay the $50/person cancellation fee.But you're correct...no need to change if you do TBD.  

Right, the OP stated change names in the title of the post "change names without a penalty".  But absolutely, adding a name is not the same as changing.  I should have read the whole post, not just the title.  Ha!  😊  We're getting ready to do just this with a graduation cruise for my son...we don't know the name of the friend coming yet, so we'll add a name later, just put myself on one room and my husband on the other.