CINQUE TERRE ON YOUR OWN - NCL JADE

mydaysss

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 3:00 PM, mydaysss said:

Did anyone do the CINQUE TERRE ON YOUR OWN from NCL Jade?

I really need to know how this tour works. It's gonna departure from Livorno Port.

hi I did the other cinque terre one. called the cinque terre.

are you set on doing this one?

On 4/27/2019 at 6:00 PM, mydaysss said:

Did anyone do the CINQUE TERRE ON YOUR OWN from NCL Jade?

I really need to know how this tour works. It's gonna departure from Livorno Port.

NCL doesn't say how this works?  That is, do they take you to Rio Maggiorre, the southernmost town at Cinque Terre, and pick you up at Monterosso, the northernmost town?  The only (or at least easiest) ways to travel between the various towns is by train or boat.  We did a private tour (arranged by a member of our cruise critic roll call) and used both the train and the boat for different legs.  So if you go on your own, you would have to look into how you'll get to each town.  Maybe the ship does this for you and the "on your own" means you're on your own in each town, which I believe was true in our case.

12 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

NCL doesn't say how this works?  That is, do they take you to Rio Maggiorre, the southernmost town at Cinque Terre, and pick you up at Monterosso, the northernmost town?  The only (or at least easiest) ways to travel between the various towns is by train or boat.  We did a private tour (arranged by a member of our cruise critic roll call) and used both the train and the boat for different legs.  So if you go on your own, you would have to look into how you'll get to each town.  Maybe the ship does this for you and the "on your own" means you're on your own in each town, which I believe was true in our case.

They actually said that we will have free time at Riomaggiore and Vernazza, but they don’t said how much time and how we get there. I prefer this tour private, but NCL Jade don’t have.

08BF83C2-E823-44DC-BD59-356036F94227.png

57 minutes ago, cruiselove87 said:

hi I did the other cinque terre one. called the cinque terre.

are you set on doing this one?

NCL Jade doesn’t have with the Guide, only “on your own”

1 hour ago, mydaysss said:

Hmm I wonder if it is sold out? Maybe try calling and asking?

The description on ncl for the one  you weretalking about sounds like it drives you to 2 of the towns and you'll have free time in each of those 2 towns. 

We went to vernazza on ours but not riomaggiore. We also did manarola and monterosso. We did a bus to manarola, guide led us through the town then had free time then boat between that and vernazza then free time there  and boat from there to monterosso with free time there then train for a few minute ride to meet the bus which drove us back to ship. 

Edited by cruiselove87
Typo

Another point about Cinque Terre:  it's generally very steep.  The walk down from where the bus dropped us off, above Riomaggiore, to the train station was very steep; definitely wear good walking shoes; sandals not recommended because you need good support on this steep area.  Seemed like the other 4 towns were less steep as we generally at sea level.  Since the area is a no-drive zone, folks who drive there on their own from La Spezia, have to park their cars "at the top" and walk down (and back up).

On 5/2/2019 at 12:02 PM, mydaysss said:

Honestly, you don't need a guide in Cinque Terre.  These are small villages and the thing you are going there for is the scenery and if daytripping, the few shops.   The Rick Steves book would be more than enough for anyone.  Walk, look at the buildings, walk the harbor side in Vernazza, walk up to the top of the fort in Vernazza (GREAT view), have lunch at one of the harbor side restaurants.  

26 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Honestly, you don't need a guide in Cinque Terre.  These are small villages and the thing you are going there for is the scenery and if daytripping, the few shops.   The Rick Steves book would be more than enough for anyone.  Walk, look at the buildings, walk the harbor side in Vernazza, walk up to the top of the fort in Vernazza (GREAT view), have lunch at one of the harbor side restaurants.  

If you have to choose betwenn 2 Of the 5, which do you choose?

On 5/3/2019 at 12:58 PM, mydaysss said:

If you have to choose betwenn 2 Of the 5, which do you choose?

I like Monterosso al Mare second.  Vernazza was my fave.  But, then I got to do a bunch of quiet evenings there!!!  Plus, the cruise ship traffic  had not yet started.  My 5 days there only one of the Disney ships ported anywhere near CT.  But, I could tell a big difference from that day to the others.  

Edited by slidergirl

When you say you traveled between the cities* by boat* was that a ferry or a launch type boat. While I have little trouble walking, I am not great at getting up or down from a large step. I have one knee that doesn’t bend. I did Ok In Venice, in Santorini and in the ferries in the Caribbean but just recently I could not get up from or down into a smaller type sightseeing * boat* ( boat with a canvas top holding about10  people.. a tuallyit was aglass bottom boat.

46 minutes ago, Knolmom said:

When you say you traveled between the cities* by boat* was that a ferry or a launch type boat. While I have little trouble walking, I am not great at getting up or down from a large step. I have one knee that doesn’t bend. I did Ok In Venice, in Santorini and in the ferries in the Caribbean but just recently I could not get up from or down into a smaller type sightseeing * boat* ( boat with a canvas top holding about10  people.. a tuallyit was aglass bottom boat.

It was a small ferry with a walkway across to get on and off the boat so now big steps had to be taken from what I remember. Which tour are you doing though? The walk through Manarola was downhill but very steep and I pulled a calf muscle toward the end of the excursion.