Wine choices in steakhouse on Miracle

Gatorfan01

I’ve made reservations for the steakhouse for the first night of our girls trip cruise. Does anyone know what choices for the “free” bottle of wine is the first night? One on my friends is allergic to American wines and can only drink foreign wines. 

2 hours ago, Gatorfan01 said:

One on my friends is allergic to American wines and can only drink foreign wines. 

What does this mean? 

the free house wine is not very good and there are plenty of foreign wines

Edited by coevan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, coevan said:

What does this mean? 

the free house wine is not very good and there are plenty of foreign wines

It means she can’t drink American wines. I think it has something to do with the sulfates/sulfites. Not sure exactly. 

On 4/28/2019 at 2:13 PM, Gatorfan01 said:

I’ve made reservations for the steakhouse for the first night of our girls trip cruise. Does anyone know what choices for the “free” bottle of wine is the first night? One on my friends is allergic to American wines and can only drink foreign wines. 

Wow that is odd. Not saying it isn't true.......but Wow.

Just off the Miracle 2 days ago and ate at the Steakhouse the first night. We chose the Chilean merlot and it was actually very good. Don't drink white wine, so don't know if it was an American or foreign wine. Don't understand the allergy to American wines - many American vineyards have imported grape vines from Europe! Also when some European vineyards were in trouble, American grape vines were sent there.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Djptcp said:

Just off the Miracle 2 days ago and ate at the Steakhouse the first night. We chose the Chilean merlot and it was actually very good. Don't drink white wine, so don't know if it was an American or foreign wine. Don't understand the allergy to American wines - many American vineyards have imported grape vines from Europe! Also when some European vineyards were in trouble, American grape vines were sent there.

Sunonfire, I asked DH about the FTTF tags and he said only the baggage handlers outside the terminal have luggage tags, they do not have any inside. He didn't know why the handlers didn't have any. Sorry. I know that when we drop our luggage off there we tell the luggage guy in case he doesn't notice Priority on our tags we are Platinum and Priority and he puts on a special tag. We are cruising on the Miracle on the 21st and if I think of it, I'll ask him about the FTTF tags.

DJPTCP: Were you able to find anything about the FTTF tags?  Carnival has not responded to my email. I sent them a second email. Thanks.

On 4/28/2019 at 5:47 PM, Gatorfan01 said:

It means she can’t drink American wines. I think it has something to do with the sulfates/sulfites. Not sure exactly. 

Sulfite could be the magic word here.  However all wines need sulfites. Some wines add additional sulfites and others do not. Governments put limits on the amount of sulfites in wine. The European Union sets a maximum of 160 milligrams per liter for red, 210 for white and 400 for sweet. Surprisingly, it’s similar for the U.S. so it might not be the answer.

Do they actually get 'allergic reactions' to drinking the wine? Maybe it is the histamines contained in the wine? Probably not since histamines are present in all wines.

The majority of grapes in Europe are descendents of American vines sent to Europe after the great blight of the late 1800's nearly destroyed their wine industry. So.......

If a particular wine gives them problems, don't drink it. But unless there is a proven reason to proclaim 'allergic' to ALL American wines (and the ensuing questions and doubts) I would just tell her to stick with 'I prefer foreign wines over domestic'. Neat, valid, solid.