QM2, Is Caviar Special?

snowshovel

QM2, Is Caviar Special?

I remember Fred Lambert from high school. Fred was half French and half Huron Indian. Best hockey player north of Big Mac, well, the Mackinaw Straits Bridge in Michigan. He could slap shot a frozen herring into a 14-quart galvanized bucket from 30 yards out. Did he know how to get good caviar? Nope. And Albert Colegrove was great with fish too. Bare footed out by the Brevort River, Albert dropkicked a carp into the open trunk of his old man’s 51 Packard on the other side. Did he know how to get good caviar? Nope. What about Norman Miller? He ate 42 smelt while hang gliding off Big Mac’s north tower. Somebody should have cooked those smelt for Norm. Anyway, he could get his hands on Mary Becker, but not on good caviar. See what I’m saying? It doesn’t matter how good you are. Sports, flying, fishing, all walks of life, good caviar is hard to get. It’s on the QM2. I know it is. It’s special. I just hope there’s some left when I get there. If that gala affair uses it all up they’re just going to have to get more. They will. Norm and Fred are coming too you know. Albert will be there in spirit. He can fly now.

snowshovel,

You're my kinda' guy!

Some future voyage, I want to share some eggs with you.

I've found that in all the Grills on both the QE2 and QM2 you can ask the restaurant manager or your waiter for caviar at any time. And I do. We can go a round on this, but I'm of the school like chocolate....all caviar is good, some is just Better.

Now, off to the local A&P.....the deli has a little glass thingy full of eggs at about $5, you've made me hungry, it'll do for now.

Enjoy your trip. ;)

Ab

Ab Ovo,

Hey, caviar on the QM2 with all the trimmings, doesn't get any better. Can't wait for our upcoming cruise. You're right, all caviar is good. Had some Lumpfish from our little grocery store just the other day. Wife fixed chopped hard-boiled eggs, sour cream, chopped onions, capers and some crunchy little crackers to go with. We got a mid-range bottle of Champaign and that was it for dinner.

As Red Green and Fred Lambert would say, Keep your stick on the ice.

Best,

Snow . . .

Now I'm kicking myself. I realized that I did NOT go to Veuve Cliquot while I was on board,and I did NOT specifically request or seek out any caviar on board! (avaialbel at Veuve Cliquot)

I disagree on the choco-fish egg comparison. I can't eat milk chocolate, though dark is fine. and I don't care for Salmon roe (it is okay, just "not my kind, dear!") and I don't buy grocery store "caviar"- too salty and nasty.

However, here is a tip for you caviar lovers (or entertainers with flare who wish to impress your guests!) Go to an Asian market- somewhere you might go for sushi supplies. You might have to try a couple of places to see who carries this. Buy yourself a big tub of flying fish roe (tobiko) Last tub I bought was about $7.00 (USD) frozen, lasted forever, tasted like a dream, with no burnt (from freezing) or nasty (old) taste. Goes nice on a ritz, as they say!

karie,

who needs to book another cruise on the QM2 quick, befoer V.C becomes a Starbucks.

Travel-to-go,

What a great tip, flying fish roe. With prices like that I can afford better Champagne to go with. If you're ever up north try sautéed white fish livers, either with breakfast instead of the standard meats, or as an appetizer anytime.

• 2 weeks later...
Snow - you can get all kinds of different roe at any oriental market - if y'all have them up there :) Most of them are a pretty big tub for cheap - make that two bottles of Champagne! Take care padre.

DD

DD,

I grew up in OB (peninusla, north of Granada, Seabreeze, class of 72) The rest of y'all won't know what that means. DD will understand perfectly!

Why YES! Of couse we have oriental markets up here in the cold hinterlands. That's where I buy my roe, here in Connecticut!

You know, growing up, I hate living in Flrida. Gassing up this morning in a cold wind, and many mornings since I got off the QM2 on 15 January, I have thought it might be a marvelous idea to move back! Dad lives over on the mainland now (Still above Granada though) and I still know plenty of folks there. It would be nice to give away my snow shovels and to be able to wear shorts in March without people pointing at me!

<sigh>

Karie

Shivering in yankeeland

*smiles* it is worth the move back down here. My husband and I love it here - except for the hurricanes. I actually graduated '88 in West Palm Beach - but do know what you mean *s*. I had always wanted to live up here, dreams do come true. It is my favorite spot in the state.

I saw snow over Christmas - I cannot say that I miss it. The only cruise I've been on was (you guessed it - Senior Cruise to the Bahamas - then there was Grad night.... ah high school in FL) - and I'm not sure I want to ever do it again. Dad is trying to convince me - we shall see. Thought outside of reading the snappy posts - it might give some insight to cruising, instead, I'm sharing roe thoughts *g* Nice to meet you Karie.

DD

Wonder if I can get Russian blinis on the QM2? Had the best I’ve tasted in Moscow while traveling with Maupintour. We’ve fixed them at home, buttering buckwheat pancakes heavily with a sour cream concoction and then adding caviar, but never seem to get the same good result they do in Russia.

Travel-to-go, thanks for the V. C. tip. If it’s a Starbucks when I get there I’ll shoot myself! Will post a report on what we find.

Another favorite of mine is a caviar burger. I know, it sounds ironical, like someone is making hamburger helper out of caviar, (If you don‘t know what hamburger helper is, pause here for a moment, look up and say thank you). Even worse, it’s so good with a cool glass of beer. We make these at home and just love them. Basically, they’re a really good hamburger with sour cream, onion slices and caviar. To get them at a restaurant, try Lindbergers (After Charles Lindbergh) on Northlake Blvd. in North Palm Beach, FL. Hey, DD, that’s not too far from Daytona?

Yes Snow - it is about a two hour drive; with my driving *smiles* - *looks up to the heavens above and wonders about hamburger helper* -- think I had that as a child.... *Cheshire smile*. Awe come on, what's wrong with Starbucks?! *earsplitting laughter*.

DD

Yes Snow - it is about a two hour drive; with my driving *smiles* - *looks up to the heavens above and wonders about hamburger helper* -- think I had that as a child.... *Cheshire smile*. Awe come on, what's wrong with Starbucks?! *earsplitting laughter*.

DD

Gee, It must have gotten closer! When I was a teenager dating a guy in Palm Beach Gardens, the ride was 6 hours in a Greyhound bus! <LOL>

Then too, I once pegged the speedometer in my Dad's Chrysler on I-95- It only went up to 120. (Course I did more than that on the speedway- Yep. I worked there as a scorer for 6 years!)

Hey I do remember Grad night! I was at the very first one! 1972!

OTOH, I'd forgotten how much dreadful raping and pillaging of the land The Mouse did building The Mouse House when I was growing up til I read Carl Hiaasen's Team Rat. In recent years Disney got kudos for "offering" magnanimously to restore a canal to its former beauty and natural state as a river. Of course, They are the ones who straightened it into a canal for their perfect subdivision in the first place, then found they had a horrendous RODENT INFESTATION because they had destroyed the natural habitat of all of these rats! Kinda makes you think there really MUST be a God, huh? <LOL>

(And we won't even talk about Disney's "Private Island" that used to be a notorious drug smuggling drop! I am so glad Cunard does not have a "Private Island" I've long had a suspicion there is really only one island. It is Carnival's on Monday, NCL's on Tuesday, Disney on Wednesday, HAL's on Thursday, etc. etc)

Karie,

Who does not have faery dust in her eyes!

DD

Actually, I like Starbucks. Free WIFI for my laptop and decent coffee, I’m easy. Picture a happy sailor stepping along QM2 deck 3, toes pointed outward, bowlegged, instinctively ready for any surprise the sea might present. His left hand holds a cruise card, his right a little deck plan map, (Newbie!). If you listen carefully you can hear a monosyllabic mantra, “Sevruga, Sevruga“. He’s on his way to the Veuve Clicquot Champagne Bar for a rendezvous with his sweetie, some caviar, champagne and beaucoup helpings of delightful tête-à-tête. His map says he’s there, but instead of seeing Veuve Clicquot he sees Starbucks. Even the best made Depends won’t help here. Photos to help visualize the dilemma. If you get a little queasy , quick, think about pilates.

sidebyside.jpg

Don‘t worry, if that sailor was me I wouldn’t really shoot myself, though I’d probably have to head back to the cabin for a wardrobe adjustment.

Actually, I like Starbucks. Free WIFI for my laptop and decent coffee, I’m easy. Picture a happy sailor stepping along QM2 deck 3, toes pointed outward, bowlegged, instinctively ready for any surprise the sea might present. His left hand holds a cruise card, his right a little deck plan map, (Newbie!). If you listen carefully you can hear a monosyllabic mantra, “Sevruga, Sevruga“. He’s on his way to the Veuve Clicquot Champagne Bar for a rendezvous with his sweetie, some caviar, champagne and beaucoup helpings of delightful tête-à-tête. His map says he’s there, but instead of seeing Veuve Clicquot he sees Starbucks. Even the best made Depends won’t help here. Photos to help visualize the dilemma. If you get a little queasy , quick, think about pilates.

sidebyside.jpg

Don‘t worry, if that sailor was me I wouldn’t really shoot myself, though I’d probably have to head back to the cabin for a wardrobe adjustment.

Well, I guess I've found my new diet.

I suddenly no longer feel hungry for dinner.

Karie <G>

• 5 months later...

I thought I would mention that my last two voyages in the QG on the QM2 caviar was not available. When it was available the quality was not of the past high standared. I suppose my advice would be do not count on it and find it a pleasant surprise if the taste strikes you and it is available.

Well, I'm obviously not the high-falootin' sort (can't even spell it!) but I saw a reference to Seabreeze and figured I should toss in my "Go Mainland!" =)

Any of you seen what they've done to *my* school? It's monstrous!

Well, I'm obviously not the high-falootin' sort (can't even spell it!) but I saw a reference to Seabreeze and figured I should toss in my "Go Mainland!" =)

Any of you seen what they've done to *my* school? It's monstrous!

Well, I might have... if I hadn't gotten lost landing late at night and decided to run over to the Civil Air Patrol hangar (Where I spent many a Tuesday night), discovered Embry Riddle had pretty much taken over all land not covered by the speedway and the airport (and a couple of hotels where the baseball fields used to be!) and proceeded down Clyde Morris Blvd THE WRONG DIRECTION! I ended up in Port Orange before I realized it (Since Clyde Morris used to dead end at the airport/speedway!) (Was heading for Ormond, where I grew up, and where Dad still lived)

Sadly, it was one of the first times I realized what an enormity my father's death was to be in my life. I had been on my way to see him when he went into hospice in Ormond Beach. He died (three weeks ago today) before I could get there. Turning around, I thought, "When did they build this out! I'll have to ask Dad...." Suddenly I realize there was no longer a Dad to ask. It was some unGodly hour of the night, I had just gotten lost in the town I grew up in, and I lost my best friend and greatest hero in the world. I just started bawling.

But, I do believe I noticed last visit that Mainland had grown considerably, too.

Went down to the lighthouse at Ponce Inlet. Probably haven't been to Ponce Inlet since High School. (I graduated in 72) Wow! What used to be miles of nothing- scrub palms, and such, is now condos, and more being built daily!

<sigh>

Nothing stays the same.

Karie,

Who is sorry for bringing everybody down. (Myself too. It's going to take me along time to stop crying at the drop of a hat. And thanks again to everyone on these boards for helping me get through this. Your friendship has been invaluable. I still haven't told some of my closest friends. It's too hard to call them, and y'all lived through it with me.)

I thought it odd as well, however, was not a big deal. I only wanted to state what had happened to me on two voyages, on my other voyages it was available. I would feel bad if somebody booked passage assuming that this "staple" would be available without question only to find that it depends on the suppliers the line deals with.

I find this very strange as it's always available - Sevruga caviar (used to be Beluga!!!) in the Queens Grill on QE2.

Not just the QG - I don't think I've been on the QE2 when they haven't wanted me to eat it at least once.

As I have said there were two occasions which it was not available on QM2 in the Queens Grill. Apart from this it has been available on both Queens. My reason for pointing this out is stated in my previous input. I am happy that you have not experienced this and I hope that these times were isolated and the problem corrected.

International caviar trade banned

by International business news (international-business-news) @ Wed, 07 Jun 2006 21:43:32 -0500

BBC: The global trade in caviar and other products made from the wild, endangered sturgeon fish has been banned. "We were unable to approve the export quotas for this year," a spokesman for Cites, the convention for trade in endangered species, told BBC News. The ban was imposed for scientific reasons and to bring an end to illegal poaching in the Caspian Sea, he said.

Sevruga sturgeon are raised commercially for their caviar in California, Uruguay, France, etc.; Beluga is still all wild and endangered (and, probably polluted as well). IMHO the QM2's Sevruga is OK (good flavor, so-so texture) but should never be your main reason for dining there.

And "snowshovel", if you and your Great White North buddies want to play hockey at sea, try that line with the ice skaking rink.

I'll gladly forgo any fish eggs next time I'm on either the QE2, QM2, or for that matter QV if I can have smoked Lake Michigan whitefish, a glass of white wine from the Lelanau Peninsula, and a slice of Michigan cherry pie!

I wonder if the grill chefs could rustle ony of this up, next time I'm in one of the grills?

Archived