How long does it take to get off cruise in Naples Port? (NCL Norwegian Epic)

ericktexas

Hi,

We want to take a private boat tour in Capri (not part of the cruise tours) and we need to take a ferry (SNAV) from Naples Port to Capri.

Our cruise (NCL Norwegain EPIC) stops at Naples from 7AM to 7PM, and we need to buy the ferry tickets in advance.

How long does it takes to get off the ship at Naples?

The ferry options are 8AM, 8:35AM, 9:10AM and 9:30AM. 

Would I be okay booking the 8AM?

Thanks

I have not ever visited Naples on a ship as large as the Epic; however, you SHOULD be able to make the 8:00 ferry.

If you prepurchase your tickets, do you get the actual ticket to print out, or do you still have to stand in line at the ferry ticket counter?  If it's the former, you should be in good shape.  If it's the latter, I would hustle to be one of the first off the ship if possible. 

While the ferries depart from the pier beside the cruise port, the port is large and if your ship is furthest away it can take a good 10-15 minutes to walk to the ferry pier.

I am risk averse, so out of an abundance of caution, I'd probably go with the 8:35 option. If you can't make the 8:00 ferry, it's rather expensive to purchase additional tickets, as I don't think you can use the ones you purchased for a later ferry.

If you do purchase in advance, be sure to buy directly from the ferry company and not from a third party site.

Also, note that the 8:05 departure leaves from Porta di Massa, not Beverello.  It's about a 10 - 15 minute walk from the cruise port.

Edited by euro cruiser

29 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Also, note that the 8:05 departure leaves from Porta di Massa, not Beverello.  It's about a 10 - 15 minute walk from the cruise port.

If that is the case, I'd definitely go with the 8:35 from Molo Beverello.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 4/30/2019 at 9:59 PM, CdnTravelGirl said:

We were in Naples last May on the NCL Epic. We were able to debark with enough time to purchase tickets for the 8:35am ferry. The purchase time on my ticket stub says 8:13am.

Just wondering how difficult this process was and when you arrived on Capri? Did you repurchase your tickets? I’d like to do this but am a bit nervous as we are a family of 5, but experienced travelers.

Agree that you should only consider a ferry from the nearby Molo Beverello. Once you arrive on Capri, head directly to the small ticket office that is located near the end of the pier and purchase return tickets on one of the lines that takes you back to Molo Beverello.  We suggest taking a boat that will get you back at least 1 hour before you must be back aboard.  

I do suggest that you get off the ship soon after it is cleared, so you have some extra time to walk over to the ferry port and obtain your tickets.  

Hank

8 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Agree that you should only consider a ferry from the nearby Molo Beverello. Once you arrive on Capri, head directly to the small ticket office that is located near the end of the pier and purchase return tickets on one of the lines that takes you back to Molo Beverello.  We suggest taking a boat that will get you back at least 1 hour before you must be back aboard.  

I do suggest that you get off the ship soon after it is cleared, so you have some extra time to walk over to the ferry port and obtain your tickets.  

Hank

Thanks! I appreciate the response!!!

Posted (edited)

There are only two operators offering high speed service from Molo Beverello in Naples to Capri, NLG and Snav.  These crossings all take 50 minutes.

NLG has crossings at 8:35, 9:30 and 10:40.  This year for the first time I'm seeing the 8:30 crossing sold out on-line.  You may still be able to purchase in person, however.

NLG » Sito Ufficiale

Snav has crossings at 7:00, 9:10, and 10:15.

Traghetti Croazia, Sicilia e Sardegna | Aliscafi Eolie, Pontine e golfo di Napoli - Snav

If you have time in the morning you can also purchase your return tickets then.  There is no financial benefit to purchasing from the same supplier as these are all one-way tickets, so just pick the time you want.

Edited by euro cruiser

45 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

There are only two operators offering high speed service from Molo Beverello in Naples to Capri, NLG and Snav.  These crossings all take 50 minutes.

NLG has crossings at 8:35, 9:30 and 10:40.  This year for the first time I'm seeing the 8:30 crossing sold out on-line.  You may still be able to purchase in person, however.

NLG » Sito Ufficiale

Snav has crossings at 7:00, 9:10, and 10:15.

Traghetti Croazia, Sicilia e Sardegna | Aliscafi Eolie, Pontine e golfo di Napoli - Snav

If you have time in the morning you can also purchase your return tickets then.  There is no financial benefit to purchasing from the same supplier as these are all one-way tickets, so just pick the time you want.

Just wanted to add to Euro Cruiser's comments.  The tickets for the two different companys (NLG and SNAV) are not interchangeable.  A ticket for one company is no good on the other.  In about 50 years of extensive cruising (with many visits to Naples) we have never been turned away from a high speed ferry because of it being sold out.  If so-called overtourism has finally caught up to these ferries, that is a shame.  Our norm has always been to simply walk over to Molo Beverello, and purchase a ticket on the next ferry, regardless of the operator (they are both good).  

We have never even considered buying a ticket in advance.  Why  The weather and our own preference to keep our flexibility.  There have been times where we thought we might go to Capri, but instead decided (at the last minute) to stay in Naples, take a ferry to Ischia, head to Caserta, etc.  Not only does our ultimate decision depend on our mood (at the time), but we tend to change our plans to fit the weather.  The crowds we saw in Europe, (April and May), did cause us some concern about "overtourism."   It sure does not help the situation when some cruise ships now carry in excess of 4000 souls, and there can be multiple ships in a port   As a personal note, when folks book these monster ships and then complain that everything is crowded, they get little sympathy from this guy.  That being said, our next ship (in Europe) will only carry about 600 passengers, but we still need to be concerned about sharing ports with a few monster vessels.

For folks that love mega ships (we do cruise on some of them), you reap what you sow.  Consider that on the island of Santorini, it would take over 6 hours to move 4000 passengers down the cliff (on the cable car).  When there are 3 or 4 other ships, one can just imagine the grid lock.  Such is that state of tourism in parts of Europe.

Hank