Need Stitches out on Norwegian Bliss

39 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

I disagree   with most of the "advice"  given above by NON medical people.   There is far more that is done-   with an assessment that licensed professional  are trained for.   It's simplistic to just tell people to take out their own.       First   10 sutures is a lot,  again an assessment of how to proceed,  by a professional is grossly superior.   The claims of  how to remove sutures is a complete violation of infection control and never would be done a professional service.     I've had to deal with the nightmare of treating  too many  dehisced wounds with secondary infections.  

I was trained by the nurses at my GP surgery in the exact method of avoiding infection. It is not difficult once shown. They gave me everything I needed to use to take with me.

6 hours ago, Iworktocruiseandtravel said:

Did you ask whomever is on your RollCall if anyone can help?  I believe on my last trip someone asked a similar question on our roll call, and a doctor, a nurse, and a paramedic all volunteered... some even had their own supplies... you may need to bring your own alcohol wipes and tweezers and cutters, but I'd rather (personally) have someone who does this routinely take them out than myself (or my husband). 

I like this idea. And the roll call has quite a few folks for this cruise.

Also, I just looked - Juneau has an urgent care center right in town. I didn't check Skagway but I am sure they do too. It is Alaska (in the US) so your insurance company should accept the billing for this (emergency care). I would get a note from the office who did the stitches as to when they should come out so the urgent care knows the timing is ok. Also, this way you will have the ability to get antibiotic cream or oral if needed.

Take them out yourself...like many have said...very easy assuming they aren't in your dominant hand.  If that's the case, have your travel companion do it.  It really is pretty easy.

Maybe this will help:

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

No joke my wife had stiches in Grenada and luckily had them taken out on board by a Dr on board using my tweezers & scissors on my Swiss Army knife.  We were on a MUCH smaller ship no medical department.  Still a great story!