Buy insurance after the fact/very close to sail date?

MrMike45

My SIL and brother had a trip to Paris booked far in advance. Did not purchase trip insurance. Two weeks before they were to go, my dad became very ill and was in the hospital (at age 97). She purchased trip insurance within a week of the trip from a major carrier (don't know which one) and did indeed have to cancel the trip. She got a letter from the doctor in charge of him and the insurance company was fine with that. There were no issues. My dad recovered eventually. Is it morally right? I don't have an opinion on that. But it was perfectly legal. Most carriers have a "Cancel if you or an immediate family member get sick, or die or are injured". The "for any reason one is far more expensive.

On 5/3/2019 at 7:49 AM, RedRover96 said:

Most of that type of insurance has a buy within "X" amount of days after booking, so doubtful.

I don't think this is true ... my cruise is next February, I booked this January. Have only now started to look into trip insurance. They ask for my first payment date and I enter January 2019 and they still give me quotes. Also, when I have bought insurance through NCL, I have never purchased it until I make my final payment.