Rooftop Terrace movie noise

Boatharbour

Has anyone stayed on deck 11 of the Millenium and have any recent feedback about the impact of noise from the movies showing on the Rooftop terrace?

I’ve found some  fairly negative comments on the cabin spread sheet reported in 2016 and  wondered if Celebrity has addressed the issue?

The only AQ cabins available for our booking are port aft side. Thank you. 

We have sailed in a couple of the rear facing aft cabins above the bar. We could hear the sound from the movies when we were on out balcony but not in the room. It was not really obtrusive, we are sailing in a side cabin on deck 11 later this summer (like you, the ones at the back had gone when we booked).

Edited by downsmead

If you are sailing before November, I would love to hear your feedback about any noise from the movies on the side cabins of deck 11. If you’re sailing after that, I’ll let you know of our experience!

The cabin we have booked seems to be directly under the screen on deck 11. The position of the speakers is probably more relevant however. The only other options were near the steps immediately above the aft bar or opposite the fitness centre. I’m not sure if we’ve made the right decision. 

It seems strange that Celebrity would classify these as AQ1 if there is noise from the movie screening above. Rather at odds with the  whole Aqua relaxation concept associated with the Persian Garden etc. We have only sailed in aft cabins and loved sitting on our balcony.

For the record, Celebrity  has told me that these cabins are not listed as being impacted by noise. 

You will hear some sound on the balcony. You will not hear anything in the stateroom.

I was on the Summit recently and hoping that they would show some recent movies at night--much like they do on other cruise lines. They didn't. They did show some movies during the dinner hours, but that was too early for me. I was hoping for later--like a 10:00 to midnight recent movie. It never happened.

At night they show much quieter nature shows. My assumption is that they discovered feature movies were too disruptive to the deck 11 balconies so they only play them in the early evening--when most are at dinner.

Edited by MightyMike

I was on the Constellation last October and had Aqua 1130 aft, next to staircase. 

LOVED this room, and actually are booked into it again this October !

we really were not bothered by the movie noise at all, we also watched a few as well, which was really nice, because we were so close! Have to go the bathroom? Just walk down the aft steps to our room in 2 minutes. 

Also, having that cabin right by the stairs worked great for us! We would move our little table close to the stairs, go down to Sunset bar, get a few drinks, lean over the railing, place them on the table, then go get a plate of cheese and crackers, place them on the table, etc...

i also brought with with me some removable contact paper and put up a little barrier on the left side of the glass so we had privacy from prying eyes below.  Worked perfectly! 

460E6B26-AC73-4568-8BCC-8ACAC7053E68.jpeg

E7C04F40-C26C-421A-8F2F-6669C2D61BA3.jpeg

01BC2AA1-BE55-47AB-879D-4FF5C7795288.jpeg

On 5/5/2019 at 9:46 AM, MightyMike said:

You will hear some sound on the balcony. You will not hear anything in the stateroom.

I was on the Summit recently and hoping that they would show some recent movies at night--much like they do on other cruise lines. They didn't. They did show some movies during the dinner hours, but that was too early for me. I was hoping for later--like a 10:00 to midnight recent movie. It never happened.

At night they show much quieter nature shows. My assumption is that they discovered feature movies were too disruptive to the deck 11 balconies so they only play them in the early evening--when most are at dinner.

Thanks Mike. That seems reassuring. 

I like the concept of outdoor movies myself, but not if it disturbs others. Silent movies ( similar to the silent disco) would work well though!

7 hours ago, Boatharbour said:

Thanks Mike. That seems reassuring. 

I like the concept of outdoor movies myself, but not if it disturbs others. Silent movies ( similar to the silent disco) would work well though!

Just to give you a bit of a heads up in case your experience might be dissimilar to Mike's. I think, in all fairness, that there is something about your personal schedule/habitual use of your stateroom and the movie schedule as to how you will, or won't, be impacted by the movie "noise." For example, you'll never be bothered by the noise from a Silent Disco, anywhere on the ship, if you're a participant at the Silent Disco. For me, I love to celebrate sailaway on my balcony which absolutely coincided with a movie being played, or a movie concert type video being played, at every single sailaway of the itinerary. It was extremely disturbing to me. 

You alluded to the speakers being an issue as a possibility. Ultimately, it was the speakers that sent me to Guest Relations. They were placed in such a way that there was a buzzing, vibrational sound that echoed within our stateroom. It was the most annoying type of flying mosquito, chirping cricket, locust type of noise as an analogy of the type of annoying sound that was created. Again, this might not have disturbed other occupants because of personal schedules in the stateroom versus the movie time schedule. It was serendipitous that I was in the stateroom and there was a Comment Card on the desk and I decided to let them know my feelings about the changes that have been made to AQ, regarding the movie theatre intrusion into what I've always loved about being on Deck 11.

The outcome of my complaint is that engineering got involved and the speakers were moved. They had been placed along the railing of the upper deck and were, therefore, directly above the balcony edge of our stateroom. The moving of the speakers was such a relief to me! But then came the back and forth... I don't know why the speakers had to continually be moved back to the position where they were a disturbance, but they were. In memory, I had them moved about 4 times before I gave up and let it be. 

For me, it was a fight and a simple decision to not book on the side of Deck 11 in the future. I don't want to post as a Negative Nelly, but to just inform about the speaker situation and the assistance from Guest Relations in the event that your stateroom use versus the movie timing becomes an issue. A cautionary tale is my simple thought and the reason for my posting to you.

I just checked my records so I can tell you we were in 1101. I know that doesn't make any sense? Why would the speakers be positioned down the side, away from the movie screen? I can't even tell you the reason because it made no sense to me as well. I can only repeat the information that I received from Guest Relations who, by the way, were very helpful and concerned.

Edited by Member123

4 hours ago, Member123 said:

Just to give you a bit of a heads up in case your experience might be dissimilar to Mike's. I think, in all fairness, that there is something about your personal schedule/habitual use of your stateroom and the movie schedule as to how you will, or won't, be impacted by the movie "noise." For example, you'll never be bothered by the noise from a Silent Disco, anywhere on the ship, if you're a participant at the Silent Disco. For me, I love to celebrate sailaway on my balcony which absolutely coincided with a movie being played, or a movie concert type video being played, at every single sailaway of the itinerary. It was extremely disturbing to me. 

You alluded to the speakers being an issue as a possibility. Ultimately, it was the speakers that sent me to Guest Relations. They were placed in such a way that there was a buzzing, vibrational sound that echoed within our stateroom. It was the most annoying type of flying mosquito, chirping cricket, locust type of noise as an analogy of the type of annoying sound that was created. Again, this might not have disturbed other occupants because of personal schedules in the stateroom versus the movie time schedule. It was serendipitous that I was in the stateroom and there was a Comment Card on the desk and I decided to let them know my feelings about the changes that have been made to AQ, regarding the movie theatre intrusion into what I've always loved about being on Deck 11.

The outcome of my complaint is that engineering got involved and the speakers were moved. They had been placed along the railing of the upper deck and were, therefore, directly above the balcony edge of our stateroom. The moving of the speakers was such a relief to me! But then came the back and forth... I don't know why the speakers had to continually be moved back to the position where they were a disturbance, but they were. In memory, I had them moved about 4 times before I gave up and let it be. 

For me, it was a fight and a simple decision to not book on the side of Deck 11 in the future. I don't want to post as a Negative Nelly, but to just inform about the speaker situation and the assistance from Guest Relations in the event that your stateroom use versus the movie timing becomes an issue. A cautionary tale is my simple thought and the reason for my posting to you.

I just checked my records so I can tell you we were in 1101. I know that doesn't make any sense? Why would the speakers be positioned down the side, away from the movie screen? I can't even tell you the reason because it made no sense to me as well. I can only repeat the information that I received from Guest Relations who, by the way, were very helpful and concerned.

4 hours ago, Member123 said:

Thank you for your frank opinion and detailed response which is quite alarming. I think our expectations would be in line with yours. 

One of the main reasons we enjoy the balcony is to relax in peace and quiet. It’s a sanctuary away from the hustle and bustle of shore excursions and shipboard life. While some may not find the sound from movies, bars and entertainers intrusive, I would prefer not to hear them from my balcony. 

As you say it comes down to when and how often the movies are shown. Typically we use the balcony at sail away, in the afternoon and pre dinner. Sea days, we use the balcony a lot. 

Unforutnately, there were few other cabin options when we booked. We haven’t sailed for several years so were unaware of the changes to the rooftop terrace. It was only a chance remark on a review that alerted me to the changes and the potential noise issue.

It’s not a good enough reason to cancel, but we will keep a lookout for a cabin in another area if one comes up. It’s good to know that Guest Relations were responsive to your complaints. Perhaps between now and our sailing a permanent solution may be found.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy a good time as much as the next person, but when I’m on board my cabin and balcony are my quiet places. 

• Like 2