The First Enchanted Princess Cruise in 2020

turquoisesea

I am considering changing our “Maiden” Enchanted Princess cruise in 2020 to what Princess is now calling the “preview” Cruise. (9 days earlier).  Is this a mistake?  We were on the Majestic Princess for her third cruise and everything was fine. But is the first cruise really a problem?

Yes there are reasons that the formal Maiden Voyage is usually not the very first cruise after floatout.

In Enchanted's case it could simply be that the formal launch ceremony is scheduled for Southampton out of convenience.

But any sailings before the Maiden Voyage are subject to cancellation should any need for a few more days in the shipyard surface. Princess is simply gambling that the relocation of the ship from the yard in Italy to the dedication in Southampton can be done as a revenue sailing. And if they do pull it off likely most of your fellow "passengers" will be travel agents and second line corporate bigwigs who did not rate an invitation to the Maiden Voyage. They will probably be allowed to board very early so expect to be shut out of The Sanctuary, Chef's Table, Royal Afternoon Tea, the Ultimate Ships Tour (if running) or anything else you need to sign up for upon boarding. And almost certainly embarkation lunch in the MDR will be reserved for those groups alone. And who knows many venues will be reserved for private 'dos at various times of the cruise--including huge blocks of reservations at Specialty Restaurants.

You did notice that the preview cruise is only nine days while the maiden voyage is ten? Lower OBC for the former if you book under the current promotion. If I were you I would certainly stay put.

That 9 day cruise was originally 11 days. I had it booked when it first came out, but they dropped 2 ports, shortened it, with $15 offered for the inconvenience.  I cancelled it, not worth paying to fly to Europe for a cruise with a bunch of sea days.