Mexican Rivera Questions

Hello, 

I hope I do this right. And I want to apologize for such a long post.  This is my first post as I just joined today. I am already relieved to found this forum.

My daughter is confined to a wheelchair (manual, custom, doesn't fold) and we love to travel but she doesn't handle flying very well so we are starting to do cruises, trying to stay with starting / ending port driving distance - road trip. Went on our first one last year and have two more booked. 

Q1.
We live in San Diego so I have really been considering to go on a Mexican Rivera cruise. It just would be so nice to go out of a port locally (San Diego, Los Angeles, Long Beach). Not crazy about the ports, but that is okay as we will find something at each one to do. My concern though is Cabo where it's a tender port. Do people that are in wheelchairs able to tender to port (I know it depends on weather) or do they have to stay on ship? Worst-case scenario if they let me, I could carry her onto the tender, hold her while on tender and carry to get off tender but someone would have to help put her chair on / off tender if that is even allowed. I really hope this makes sense.. I just really don't want to be stuck on the ship when in port, but I totally understand if the water/weather conditions were not safe then that would be okay, a disappointment, but ok. I just don't want to go on cruise knowing that one of the ports we can't get off. 

Q2. 
Can you give me some recommendations on what to do in each port with someone in a wheelchair? We are pretty good at dealing with dirt hard roads/paths, sand (short distance), curbs with no cutouts, medium hills. We do enjoy walking/strolling. We would like to see some highlights if possible. I am thinking of doing the one that includes La Paz and Loreto.

Mazatlan

Puerto Vallarta

Cabo San Lucas

Ensenada

La Paz

Loreto

Q3. 
Anything else you would like to share with us is welcomed. 

THANK YOU ALL so much for your help, info, and suggestions.. It is greatly appreciated!! 

Michele 

Hello my son and I just came back from the Mexican Riviera a couple weeks ago and I used a scooter. We was on NCL Bliss. Cabo San Lucas is a tender stop and I was told first I could take my scooter but at the door I was denied. But I think you can was a wheelchair only if the person is able to step onto the tender. 

No she will not be able to tender if she is incapable of getting herself up and down stairs and into the launch... and the step depth will vary based on tide and sea conditions.  They will not allow you to carry her, nor can the WC go on unless it can be folded

My husband uses a scooter and is not able to handle stairs and so he did not even try to get on the tender at Cabo San Lucas.   We were on the Royal Princess.  Then when I was on the tender, the medical staff brought on 2 wheelchair "patients".  I was surprised to see that our tender had a ramp not the usual stairs.

I don't know the reason the two wheelchair patients were being taken off at Cabo but they were wheeled on and off easily.  It might just be because the Royal is a newer ship with newer survival craft that have a ramp.

I spend winters in Puerto Vallarta and have a Travelscoot.   I have never arrived by ship so I don't know about the port and getting off the ship.    I do know that I have some problems with the lack of cut-outs and the cobblestones are very bumpy with my scooter.    If you can get a van at the port they could drive you to the Malecon.   That is a pedestrian only street right beside the ocean with all kinds of stores and restaurants for miles.    There is even a lane for bikes that you could use but it's very wide street so lots of room for everyone.   There are plenty of areas to sit and watch the world go by and numerous statues and lovely ocean views.

On 5/5/2019 at 10:08 AM, CRUISEWITHH said:

My husband uses a scooter and is not able to handle stairs and so he did not even try to get on the tender at Cabo San Lucas.   We were on the Royal Princess.  Then when I was on the tender, the medical staff brought on 2 wheelchair "patients".  I was surprised to see that our tender had a ramp not the usual stairs.

I don't know the reason the two wheelchair patients were being taken off at Cabo but they were wheeled on and off easily.  It might just be because the Royal is a newer ship with newer survival craft that have a ramp.

I just found out that some tenders in some ports have roll on capabilities so this makes it a lot easier to roll on/off a wheelchair. 

On 5/10/2019 at 8:57 AM, mexico8 said:

I spend winters in Puerto Vallarta and have a Travelscoot.   I have never arrived by ship so I don't know about the port and getting off the ship.    I do know that I have some problems with the lack of cut-outs and the cobblestones are very bumpy with my scooter.    If you can get a van at the port they could drive you to the Malecon.   That is a pedestrian only street right beside the ocean with all kinds of stores and restaurants for miles.    There is even a lane for bikes that you could use but it's very wide street so lots of room for everyone.   There are plenty of areas to sit and watch the world go by and numerous statues and lovely ocean views.

Thank you... 🙂