Dinner at the Eiffel Tower

deec

Our pre-cruise time in Paris this fall will no doubt be filled with long days but hopefully merriment and wonder too.  Any experiences at the Eiffel Tower restaurant for sunset.  I know it is $$$ and we must make reservations early.

We will be staying at the Meridien E'Toile with another couple.

An alternative idea. Book your dinner at the restaurant at the top of La Tour Montparnasse and you can look AT La Tour Eiffel while the sun sets - and also all of Paris.

It's in the same general direction from Le Méridien Étoile.

https://www.tourmontparnasse56.com/en/   

http://www.cieldeparis.com/en/

Edited by Lutèce
Added link
  • Like 1

We did 58 Tour Eiffel for dinner this summer. In comparison to Jules Verne, the price is much more palatable but I have heard that the food at Jules Verne is better. We ate around the time of sunset but the sun set so quickly that it was not much of a beautiful experience, and to be honest, it wasn't the primary reason why we went to eat so it wasn't something we were looking out for. 

You can book a seat right by the window with a view of the Trocadero if you want, but this does cost extra. We did not purchase this option, but were seated very close to that window so it was not worth purchasing for us. However, when we went deeper into the restaurant, we found that some tables were quite far away from the windows in the centre of the restaurant, so it's just luck of the draw. 

The dinner was good, but not as fine as we were hoping. Of course, part of the reason why it was so expensive was because of the location, and we thoroughly enjoyed that. It came with a welcome glass of champagne, a glass of wine (and we were offered refills or multiple glasses of different types), three courses, and mineral water as well as the ticket to the Eiffel Tower, with access up in a special elevator so we did not have to wait nearly as long as everyone else. 

Service was good, but we did notice that meals were not "made to order" but rather, cooked cruise-style as we would receive our order in a matter of minutes. Good for a hungry stomach, but a sign that the restaurant was not incredibly fine..

All in all, we had a good experience and felt it was worth the price for a once in a lifetime experience. We probably would not do it again and spend the money "on land" for a higher quality brasserie, but I would recommend that if you can, you should do it once. Make reservations soon though, because this restaurant only does 2 seatings and places fill up quickly.

The metro in Paris connects the city quite well, so we took the metro in from the 1st arrondissement (where we were staying). It's about a 20 minute metro ride from where you are staying, which is quite manageable.

Edited by simplyrubies

The "Jules Verne" topic seems to come up a few times a year on CC (and some other sites where we are active).  IMHO, going to Jules Verne for dinner is one of those insane things that some folks just have to do.   Yes, it is an excellent restaurant (certainly not the best in Paris) and works hard to keep its Michelin rating.  It is also a special experience and one of those travel things that you will never forget!   In Jules Verne you will get good food, excellent service, and a world-class wine list (with prices to match).   I once told a good friend, "if you have not spent much time in Paris, have the money, and want to do something over the top....go for it!  Otherwise, Paris is full of excellent restaurants and you can eat very well without paying Jules Verne prices.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 8:56 AM, deec said:

Our pre-cruise time in Paris this fall will no doubt be filled with long days but hopefully merriment and wonder too.  Any experiences at the Eiffel Tower restaurant for sunset.  I know it is $$$ and we must make reservations early.

We will be staying at the Meridien E'Toile with another couple.

Is it your first time to Paris and/or a once in a lifetime trip? If so, then I can understand although still, having been to Paris many times, and been up to the top of the Eiffel Tower on my first visit and the Tour Montparnasse, and I go look at the Eiffel Tower every time I have been to Paris, I would rather SEE the Eiffel Tower while I dined than be IN the Eiffel Tower while I dined. I just LOVE looking at the Eiffel Tower, but maybe it's just me. Now if they had a restaurant in the Arc de Triomphe, there I think I would eat because it's a fine view in every direction, really. 

The Tour Montparnasse is quite close to the Eiffel Tower and near-ish to the height so you get a great view too which includes the Eiffel Tower which, when it gets to twinkling at night time, is pure magic. It only twinkles for five minutes on the hour, but if you're at dinner for two hours you'll see it twinkle twice for ten minutes and it's amazing. And who knows, maybe it will be lit up in a special color(s) that night? 

Anyway, I don't mean to dissuade you from going to Jules Verne if it is a dream your party has been set on, I know it will be lovely. I only mean to enhance your Paris experience all the more. If it were me, I'd plan for a Michelin (L'Arpege? They and many have prix fixe menus, tasting menus, lunches, etc) meal elsewhere in Paris, go up the Eiffel Tower anyway, and you'll be seeing it for sure many times more throughout your visit, no doubt. 

Also, if you do go to Montparnasse, there's crepes everywhere. Delicious. 

No matter what you decide to do, as you stated, indeed it's up to you and I hope it's wonderful!

• 4 weeks later...

We went years ago and it truly was a "once-in-a-life time" experience!  I was celebrating my 25th year at work and they gave us $500 CDN towards anything we wanted to use it on.  We had already booked a week in Paris with another couple so guess what I wanted to do lol.  Think August 2002.....I faxed the Jules Verne in March.....couldn't get a window seat but did get 8:00 p.m. reservations.  We did see the sunset and the meal was about 10 courses.  I know I had chicken and it wasn't the best I had ever had but the ambiance was a 10+.  Our bill with for 4 with 2 bottles of wine was $1260 CDN!!!!!  The $500 I put towards the total sure helped.  We went in a lounge area for a drink after dinner and did not leave until very late.  We still talk about that evening and how wonderful it was.  Go for it!!!

• 3 weeks later...