Just back from Navigator of the Seas and A Perfect day at Coco Cay!

On 5/6/2019 at 5:00 PM, ginak1112 said:

I think they should have 2 restaurant where they don't allow young kids or at least limit them to earlier dining hours. Even at Chops there were kids running around.

I'm sorry, but this is inexcusable.  

I understand that employees hate to "scold" passengers for fear of offending / getting marked down on the survey / losing out on a tip, but this is an absolute safety issue in addition to an ambiance issue. 

Management should have talked to the parents about the need for their children to remain in their seats while in the restaurant, if for no other reason than a bowl of hot soup can scald a child's tender skin to the point of leaving scars... not to mention the damage a falling steak knife could cause if a child gets under a server's feet.  

People pay WAY too much for specialty dining for it to resemble an outing at Chuck E. Cheese.  

And I don't say this as a curmudgeon who hates kids -- I often ate out when my own son was growing up, and I removed him from a restaurant twice for behavior that was disruptive to other patrons -- once when he was 7 weeks old and crying, and once when he was 21 months old and acting a fool.  Never had to do it again, because he was raised to know that there are consequences for his actions, and if he wanted to eat in the restaurant, he needed to behave like someone who deserved to eat in a restaurant.  

Small children CAN sit through a fancy meal if they are taught to observe basic etiquette rules and provided with quiet activities between courses.  (We cruised with my son when he was 3yo and 4yo, and he sat in his seat and used an inside voice for every meal.)  Unfortunately, too many people don't see the need to actually teach their children the niceties of polite behavior.  

I would definitely ask management to intervene if kids were running around in a specialty restaurant.  I'd probably do the same in the MDR, for that matter.  Restaurants are not safe places for kids to be underfoot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also want to add to my previous post that my son cruised as a preschooler back in 2003 and 2004, when dress codes were still STRICTLY enforced (no jeans, no shorts, etc.).  Dinner was a pretty formal affair even on non-formal nights back then.