Cruise out of newyork

I am booked to go on the sept 16th sailing of the sunrise out of newyork.  My husband and I always get the cheers program and I am just wondering if you can use the program on the first day.  If I am remember correctly, out of newyork, you have to wait until day 2 to use the cheers....i think? 

2 minutes ago, ksmcdonald said:

On Carnival you have to wait until the day after sailing.  We just got off NCL and they let us have package drinks as soon as we got on.  

Yes, I can confirm this. Very odd huh? When we got on our NCL last time, expected to have to wait....nope, drinks were flowing with our unlimited package...

• Like 1

The difference is that NCL is set up to charge tax on drinks purchased while in NY waters (or the other states that charge sales tax like Texas or Florida), without charging the drink price to your account, while Carnival does not want to go to this trouble, so they just charge per drink, with tax, while in state waters, and then start the package.  It also means that typically, the drink package should start long before the second day of the cruise, so Carnival gets more money on per drink pricing.

• Like 2

This is a scam that saves Carnival time -

They used to charge you full for the drinks on day 1 and then they would manually go into the system and zero out the drinks minus the taxes. It was great you could get on the ship and use your Cheers package. Then they decided two to three years ago to stop it. Think about all the money they make extra the first day as people are pumped to start their vacations and have not seen their sign and sale accounts balloon with all the other stuff yet!

Royal and NCL have figured this out - 

I choose not to drink day one. It helps my liver one extra day!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Stick93 said:

This is a scam that saves Carnival time -

They used to charge you full for the drinks on day 1 and then they would manually go into the system and zero out the drinks minus the taxes. It was great you could get on the ship and use your Cheers package. Then they decided two to three years ago to stop it. Think about all the money they make extra the first day as people are pumped to start their vacations and have not seen their sign and sale accounts balloon with all the other stuff yet!

Royal and NCL have figured this out - 

I choose not to drink day one. It helps my liver one extra day!

They never ran the first day's drinks into Cheers. I have sailed from there a few times. Urban legend. As explained previously other cruise lines do have their drink packages but they are limited by brand and type while in NY. Carnival also does not charge for that first day and lose the revenue from the sale of Cheers for the entire day. Evens out fairly well. It all has to do with taxes.

23 minutes ago, Bookbug53 said:

They never ran the first day's drinks into Cheers. I have sailed from there a few times. Urban legend. As explained previously other cruise lines do have their drink packages but they are limited by brand and type while in NY. Carnival also does not charge for that first day and lose the revenue from the sale of Cheers for the entire day. Evens out fairly well. It all has to do with taxes.

First it’s not urban legend because in 2013-2015 from NY the cheers package included day one. They sold it after the ship left and they retracted the sale price of drink minus the taxes. I was there - saw it, did it and remember it. 

As as for the math if it equaling out - I could. It tell you. If the break even point is 4-5 drinks and most people who drink on vacation will usually drink heavier the first day - I think they are ahead. If you don’t drink like myself then they lose. 

The other cruise lines lines don’t limit their drinks either out of New York. I have sailed NCL and Royal and always had the same liquor in port as out in the sea. It cost the same to sell a drink regardless of the brand and taxes collected according to the price. 

1 hour ago, Bookbug53 said:

The only port that limits the brand and type of liquor while in port is in Texas, where all the liquor sold onboard must have a Texas state liquor tax label, until the ship is outside Texas waters.  Florida or NYC do not have this requirement.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

First it’s not urban legend because in 2013-2015 from NY the cheers package included day one. They sold it after the ship left and they retracted the sale price of drink minus the taxes. I was there - saw it, did it and remember it. 

As as for the math if it equaling out - I could. It tell you. If the break even point is 4-5 drinks and most people who drink on vacation will usually drink heavier the first day - I think they are ahead. If you don’t drink like myself then they lose. 

The other cruise lines lines don’t limit their drinks either out of New York. I have sailed NCL and Royal and always had the same liquor in port as out in the sea. It cost the same to sell a drink regardless of the brand and taxes collected according to the price. 

I was hoping this was still the case. I sailed on Splendor out of NYC in June of 15 and my drinks were zeroed out the first day minus taxes. 

42 minutes ago, johnnebz said:

I was hoping this was still the case. I sailed on Splendor out of NYC in June of 15 and my drinks were zeroed out the first day minus taxes. 

Sorry to be the messenger...

They stopped this once the package became available for purchase before the cruise. Its funny because the Soda package is available and they only charge the taxes of the drinks which is only 10-15 cents. I would am not sure why they cannot change this for the alcohol and include it on day 1!

4 hours ago, Stick93 said:

I will second that Stick93!  I also sailed out of NYC on 2011 and 2014 and both times we could use the Cheers package the first day.  Like you said, they just took the drinks charged that day off the bill.  

I also sailed out of NYC on the Horizon last year and they would not let the drink package start until the next morning.  Granted, they didn't charge for the first day either.  It was an 8 day cruise and I paid for 7 days of drink package.

I've also sailed out of NYC on NCL 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 and was able to use the drink package on the first day, just paid the sales tax.  

It is possible for Carnival to do it, unfortunately they just choose not to.

5 hours ago, Bookbug53 said:

you are not correct. We sail NCL out of NYC often. There is no limit on brand or type, its open bar. 

5 hours ago, Bookbug53 said:

You are 100% wrong!  I've said out of NYC:

Carnival Splendor - 2014 - Cheers drinks WERE included on first day (drinks charged then took off later)

NCL Breakaway - 2016 - drink package good for first day

NCL Breakaway - 2017 - drink package good for first day

NCL Breakaway - 2018 - drink package good for first day

Carnival Horizon - 2018 - Cheers package NOT good for first day, they only charged 7 days  instead of 8 for pkg.

NCL Escape - 2019 - drink package good for first day

Carnival definitely did include drinks on first day of Cheers as far back as 2014.  No urban legend!

Edited by ksmcdonald

5 hours ago, Liverpoollovely said:

If you have the cheers package and opt to have non alcoholic drinks (for example a soda or a bottle of water) will this be valid on cheers? Or would you be charged the price as if you did not have the cheers package? 

Charged like you have no package because you don’t have one until 6am day 2.