What would you like to see on the Challenger series?

flagger

Just two things for me:

1. Stop nicking the passengers for sodas - $1.50 for a 12 ounce can of Coke??

2. Make the ships a little more elegant in design. I understand that everyone wants a balcony, but does the ship have to look like an apartment building on a barge? I'd pay a little more to cruise on a truly elegant ship, like the old SS France/Normandy.

One question: Where in the world did you find a $1.50 soda? More like $3 when you consider the 15%!!

NO PERSONAL CHOICE DINING, EVER, EVER, EVER!!!!!!

Less than 3,000 people (TOO MANY NO MATTER WHAT SIZE THE SHIP!)

A Concierge lounge like RCCL

NO HOKEY STUFF: climbing wall, ice skating rink, water slide, etc

Keep the sorbet and the iced towels

Find some more interesting ports to take these new ships to!!

- I'd like similar or better space ratio as the M class

- Washer/Dryer on each floor

- Wall mounted Flat Screen TVs in the cabins

- A dark spot on deck for astronomy / stargazing

- I'd like the vanity to be more like on the C class, lots of storage, drawers, lighting, not like the M class + nightstands like C class.

- Bring back the T-pools like on C-class

- Xbox etc. rentals or sign outs with games or a game area for these.

- Cappuccino cards for the Cova Cave

Mostly I'd like to see me and hubby on the ship alot :)

Tina

I like that on Princess there is the OPTION of traditional dining, but there are still choices for those who want choices without having to sail on another line. It would be nice for Celebrity to emulate.

Would be nice to see self leveling pool tables.

If Celebrity decides to offer an anytime dining option, I hope that they won't emulate Princess. Just read the Princess boards and see how much "choice" those who want traditional dining get. Every cruise seems to have long wait lists for traditional dining but Princess refuses to be flexible and adjust their dining room assignments to match the interests of their passengers on a given cruise. And it isn't like they don't know, well in advance of sailing, which form of personal choice (traditional or anytime dining) the majority of their passengers want.

This may not go over so well with some on this board, but a lot of the things that people are asking for are already available on Royal Caribbean ships (concierge lounge, self-leveling pool tables etc.);)

Sorry, one more vote against personal choice dining.

Also, as far as the 'class' thing, Cunard still has the separate lounge for Grill Class passengers (separate dining rooms by class of stateroom, too) and it still works well. People mix in all the other venues and you meet people from every category, so other than asking someone, or following them around, you really wouldn't know that there was any separation by category of cabin, or that there was access to a private lounge. And if you did find out, doesn't it make sense that people who pay more get more?

So what's the concern?

I think either people want to make sure that a.) no one else gets anything they didn't get, or b.) they're worried that people with access to a private lounge won't deign to socialize with everyone else. Well, guess what, if that's how they feel, ya' probably don't want to be around them anyway, so the cruise line has just done you the favor of making those folks PAY to stay away from you!:D

So back to what I'd like to see:

A nicer buffet experience for lunch. There are times I don't want to wait for the nice service at lunch in the dining room, but that doesn't mean I want lesser quality food.:) Not always bad, but sometimes....

It would be nice to have another specialty restaurant choice- like Prego or Kyoto on Crystal. Maybe a second choice of an ethnic cuisine would help fullfill the desire for personal choice dining, too. Well, except for the extra fee, I guess.:rolleyes:

And extra special perks for cruise critic posters who are about to reach 2000 posts (man, do I REALLY talk that much?:eek: )

Andrew

I would like to see realistic limits placed on how many people are allowed to stay in a cabin, depending upon its size. We once took a cruise on a ship (not Celebrity) that supposedly accomodated 2,200 passengers, but wound up having 3,400 instead because of additional passengers in a significant number of its cabins. Consequently, service aboard that cruise was awful because there were way too many passengers per crew member, and we felt as if we were on an overcrowded NYC subway at rush hour during that entire cruise.

I have it under very good authority that the ship has already been designed and blue printed. A senior staff member on the Summit claimed to have seen them. He wouldn't say anything about it though.

I would not want any kind of class system on a cruise ship. The people that pay more already get more, there rooms are bigger and nicer. I would never go take a cruise on Cunard for this very reason. I wouldn't mind a lounge (one lounge) for suite passengers and people that are Elite in the Captains Club. In fact I hope they did design this lounge. But, in no way do I think they should section of the ship for people in different cabin categories. Suite passengers should not get their own dinning rooms and lounges. One reason I think cruising is so great is that everyone can have the same experience whether in a suite or in an inside cabin. Why should the person in the inside cabin be told they cannot go somewhere because they didn't pay enough for their cabin.

I like Royal Caribbean but I agree with those that said they do not want the rock wall, ice skating, etc...

I really don't know what Celebrity can do with a bigger ship. It seems to me that they will just expand what is already on the Millennium class ship, bigger lounges, bigger pool, bigger buffet area, etc...

They do need to fix the buffet. I like the way RCI does it with islands instead of one big line. I hope X did something about this in their planning.

I think that cruise ships began a gradual move back towards a class system when they started setting aside special lounges for those who booked suites, and folks tell me that there are places on deck on the QM2 where access is restricted to those who dine in the Queen's Grill. Frankly, I believe that those who pay more and book suites are entitled to special amenities IN THEIR SUITES, not in the public sections of the ship. RCI with its concierge lounge has democratized it somewhat by allowing Diamond members of its C&A Society access regardless of the class of accommodations they have booked. The cruise experience has changed over the past few decades. At one time I could tell people that once you were outside your stateroom everyone was treated royally regardless of what they paid for their cruise. Nowadays that is far less true than it used to be. Not sure there is anything we can do about that, things change.

As to the interest in a video wall or movie screen out on deck, I might be in favor, but not if, as I understand happens on Princess, the movies etc. are shown from early morning until late at night. Movies out on deck after dark are one thing, but during the day I would find them an unpleasant distraction from the quiet enjoyment of the pool deck.

The funny thing here is that I'm not always on the recieving end of those privileges. But I understand them. Of my four Celebrity Cruises, only one has been in a suite.

"Class" and "Status" and "Privilege" do seem to push everyone's buttons. But the class system we were trying to do away with in this country(U.S.A.) is one of birth right, not of wealth (as we approach tax season, many would disagree!:D ). Talk to most any US citizen, and they'll tell you they want to be rewarded for their work with more money, so they can spend it on a better quality of life for themselves. If you choose to spend all your money on one cruise in ten years, and I choose to spend a little on ten cruises over those same ten years, we're free to do that. But for the one vacation versus ten, yes, I expect that you will get extra service, amenities, etc., both in AND outside your cabin. It's the way things work. The key here is to remember that, whether pampered or not, you and I are not better or worse people, you're just being given the value that you paid for, and I the value that I paid for. But this always seems to fall on deaf ears in this democracy we live in. People can't feel comfortable with their own self-worth if someone, somewhere is getting something they're not. :rolleyes:

:D But if we're truly going to democratize things, then do away with the fee for the specialty restaurant, because it's a public space, but is reserved for only those who pay more! Same with all the spa treatment rooms, same with the Thallasotherapy pool on Century class ships, the Persian Gardens on M class ships, and with shore excursions for that matter. Hmmm, people who pay more get more. Seems pretty darned democratic to me.

And, to make a point, it's not considered a 'public room' of the ship if, like your own stateroom, it's reserved for those who paid for it. :)

Gee, we'll all be cruising on freight ships with canvas bunks before you know it.

:D But don't worry, I CAN cruise on ships without private lounges and have quite the good time, so if they don't have 'em, I'll survive. But I still get to want 'em for that one cruise every once in a while where I splurge, even if I don't get 'em! It's all good, as they say.

Andrew

I have it under very good authority that the ship has already been designed and blue printed. A senior staff member on the Summit claimed to have seen them. He wouldn't say anything about it though.
That would only make sense. They'd have had no chance of getting anyone to provide them with a quote for the construction without the prints.

Suite passengers should not get their own dinning rooms and lounges. One reason I think cruising is so great is that everyone can have the same experience whether in a suite or in an inside cabin. Why should the person in the inside cabin be told they cannot go somewhere because they didn't pay enough for their cabin.
Your logic would seem to indicate that all of the fans at the local stadiums should have access to the Club Level food court, even if they've paid for bleacher seats.

If I pay for a first class seat on United, I get a considerably better meal than I would in coach.

Speaking of United (and other, first class) there are many fewer of us per head. Nice not to have to wait.

There are all kinds of situations where this occurs. Why should cruising be any different if the lines want to arrange things that way?

Dear Blazerboy,

Your response regarding the private lounge is well-stated as always. Love reading your posts on these boards. They are always informative, well-stated, and "fair and balanced" I also agree with your comments regarding the improved lunch buffet.

Also, I totally agree that cruise critic members with over 2000 posts deserve their own private lounge (free drinks, lots of fabulous food, and a little extra pampering!!) Ha! Ha!

Happy Sailings,

Nancy

Your logic would seem to indicate that all of the fans at the local stadiums should have access to the Club Level food court, even if they've paid for bleacher seats.

If I pay for a first class seat on United, I get a considerably better meal than I would in coach.

Speaking of United (and other, first class) there are many fewer of us per head. Nice not to have to wait.

There are all kinds of situations where this occurs. Why should cruising be any different if the lines want to arrange things that way?

I don't necessarily disagree with you. However, it is only fair to point out that only a decade or two ago, there were no class distinctions on most cruise ships. Whether or not the current situation is an improvement is really a matter where folks can and do differ.

Think space usage.

Expanded T pool area - maybe adults only T pool and jacuzzi's.

The T-pool on all Millie class ships are for adults only. No one under 18. If you see a kid in there, notify a crew member. On our last Infinity cruise we actually saw two crew members stationed by the entrances to the T-pool. A couple of times they told kids they couldn't come in and sent them away.

:D But if we're truly going to democratize things, then do away with the fee for the specialty restaurant, because it's a public space, but is reserved for only those who pay more! Same with all the spa treatment rooms, same with the Thallasotherapy pool on Century class ships, the Persian Gardens on M class ships, and with shore excursions for that matter. Hmmm, people who pay more get more. Seems pretty darned democratic to me.
I must disagree with you. All passengers whether in a suite or in an inside cabin have the option to partake in these amenities. Nobody is stopping anyone from using them. The option is always there.

People that pay more for their suite do get more. They get more space in the suite. They get more amenities in the suite. They get all kinds of things in the suite. The key phrase here is "in the suite". You pay extra for the suite not for the amenities outside of the suite. If people in the suites think they should be getting better amenities then there are other cruise lines out there that can serve them better.

I would have no problem with a (one) lounge that is for suite passengers and elite level Captain's Club members but to have different dinning rooms and other core amenities, in my opinion, is just plain snobbish.

By the way,I took a look at the definition of the word democratic and one of the definitions listed was "Not Snobbish". So, if Celebrity wants to be democratic then more power to them.

There is only one stadium. There are many different cruise lines. With different cruise lines people can choose which one fits them best. With there only being one stadium, it has to fit all kinds of people.

If a cruise line wants to arrange there ships with a class system there isn't anything I can do. I just wouldn't give them my business and I guaranty that most people would do the same.

How many times have I heard people say that they don't want a cruise line to be all things to all people? If Celebrity did this they would be taking it to an extreme.

OK back on topic. I would like to sea a Conservatory with real plants and trees. The plastic ones on the summit were nice but I think it would be cool to have a real garden on-board.

As a frequent cruiser having achieved elite status, I hate the thought of having to share a lounge with a nouveau-riche, landlubber on his first cruise in a suite...:eek:

I want to see a dance floor with real wood, large enough to hold more than 15 couples...

I want to see a second show lounge... as on the larger Princess ships... for alternative entertainment, whether comedians, speakers... movies.

I would like a separate dining room or level for passengers who want to have their own choice of dress code or dining times.... with rules enforced.

I was told by a staff member that self-serve laundries would lower the star rating from a FIVE ***** to a FOUR ****. It seems doing your own laundry puts you in a lower class as well as on a terrorist list for having dangerous irons on board:rolleyes:

Hey, Eric! The good news is that, while we disagree on the theory (I Love Cunard , but wasn't advocating that Celebrity have separate dining rooms, too.) the reality is that, other than that potential separate lounge, Celebrity is not going to go further. And even the lounge idea is just that. An idea. But I like the Celebrity product very much as it is, so this is all pretty academic. Again, it won't really bother me if Celebrity stays the same. I just tend to yammer on sometimes about social theory. It's so frustrating to me when people feel threatened by what others might or might not have, instead of feeling comfortable in their own skin. If you get a suite, and that gets you extra perks, more power to you.:)

C 2 C, I cruise a lot too, and, in my 20's and 30's, used to worry about having to associate with the nouveau riche, but go over it really quickly. When ya' think about it, there aren't that many Rockefellers or Vanderbilts left to go on cruise ships these days, and you should also remember that they were considered noveau riche in their time as well. And as we say in our family (we joking call our selves the Nouveau Pauvre) "Better new money that no money at all" :D

Some of the nicest people I've met on cruises were the "flashy sequined nouveau riche" folks ( in my case, they were from Texas and Las Vegas, but we even have them on Beacon Hill in Boston, and Pacific Heights in San Francisco;) ) and the worst were the people who sneered at them. Everyone has a story, and they're all interesting, no matter the background, social class, economic standing, etc. Gauge crusiers by whether they're fun, out going, and/or interesting, not by when or how they acquired their money!

See, Eric, I just can't let the 'social theory' stuff go.:o

Back to the post topic!

(Oh, and thanks, Nancy, for the nice compliment!)

Andrew

Have you never stayed in hotels that have club level lounges?

Got a question for all posters that would like to see a consierge or suite level level lounge. Is this a step away from the "elimination of the classes" a few decades ago?I'm verklept. Talk among yourselves.:)

Archived