Fodor's List of 8 Dirtiest Cruise Ships

Pauser

Should I Be Too Grossed Out to Ever Cruise Again?

While reading about “pink and brown debris” can be distressing news for someone who’s booked a cruise, the good news is, the vast majority of ships received satisfactory scoresfrom the CDC. And, in fact, 14 ships (including the Disney Wonder, the Norwegian Gem, and Royal Caribbean International’s Rhapsody of the Seas) received scores of 100. So, you can still have your relaxing cruise ship experience without being haunted by thoughts of “excessive black debris” in the ice machines haunting your every waking moment. And if you’re not currently thinking of taking a cruise but end up booking one down the line, make sure to check back in with the list to make sure your ship of choice has maintained its rating of spic-and-span.

One also needs to review the detailed reports.  90% of the issues found during the inspection were probably corrected on the spot and not one of them were of immediate concern to passenger health,

As some one stated in a prior post about the BA failing the inspection, if they inspected their home the same way, it probably would have been condemned.  

CDC inspections are very thorough and they report every tiny little thing.  Some of the reported items were  fly was found while in port.  I expect to see insects while in port.  If the same CDC checks were performed on land based restaurants, I would expect them to be shut down.

Reading through the Fodors' article cited by OP, it provides links to the CDC website and the actual Inspection Report of the Breakaway on March 10:

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MTkzMDA3NjM%3d-0si0vlo9zng%3d.

And also the Corrective Action Statement by NCL: https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionCorrectiveActionReport.aspx.

I found it to be interesting reading. As stated by CDC, they do not verify that the deficiencies have been corrected by NCL until after they conduct the next scheduled or follow-up inspection.

OP, this was discussed here as soon as the CDC report came out. I don't know why it has come up again. You can be pretty sure the next time the ship is inspected they will get a 90% or above. it is like Fodors best or worst places to live: these studies or lists are only as good as the week they come out. What shows today will be totally different a month from now. Most of us enjoy reading them but put very little stock into them.  Maybe we all need to check inspections before we make final payment, ya think? Of course I am not serious.