Any Reason for Canadian Currency?

BRKNFL

We are cruising one way from Whittier to Vancouver. Trying to determine if there will be any reason for us to carry some CAD with us. In addition to ending in Vancouver, in Skagway we will take the White Pass Rail up to Fraser, BC and then come back by bus with Chilkoot Charters. Is there an opportunity to purchase anything in Fraser from locals? Or do they transfer you from rail to bus pretty quickly? I thought I read somewhere that we would be fine with a no foreign transaction fee credit card in Vancouver? We will only be in Vancouver for half a day.

Thanks for your help!

You won’t need Canadian currency unless you want to use a vending machine and that would be very unlikely unless you are in the airport.  Fraser will accept US currency or credit card.    There should be ample time in Fraser before you board the bus.  You can use your credit card in Vancouver.  Tips will be in US currency.  

With just a half-day in Vancouver and a brief chance to shop on the Skagway excursion* you can almost certainly get away without acquiring Canadian cash in advance - unless you want to tip Canadian folks in cash or buy very cheap items like an individual bottle of water for a buck or two.

In general any time you're tipping a Canuck they will gracefully accept your weird all-green papery money, provided it's done At Par (i.e. no asking for a quarter back when you hand over a buck!) If you have to buy a small item that's below the minimum for Credit purchases, you'll often be able to hand over US Greenbacks and get change in real money, involving pretty colours that ensure you never hand over a fifty instead of a five when you're liquored-up and of course a woman on all the coins & notes (two different women on some of them, go feminism!)

*of course you'll have a chance to drop extra cash on an excursion! Canadian vendors are no less money-hungry than Americans, they're just more polite about extracting every last cent from you schmuck tourists 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've been to Fraser twice and neither time did I see anything to buy there.  Unless I missed it.  There's a border crossing check-point and the train station with bathrooms.  That's about it. If you go on to Carcross, there are some shops and a restaurant or two.  Something I've noticed in both Carcross and Victoria:  If something is priced $20, they charge you either $20 Canadian or $20 USD.  If you're paying in USD, you're paying more. I saw one shop that had two cash registers; one for USD and one for Canadian.  But the items only have one price tag.  Seems a little dishonest.  But, otherwise, when I've docked in Victoria (or when I landed at the airport in Vancouver) I'll get some cash from an ATM ($50-$100 depending on what I think I need) to pay for small purchases or cab rides.  My credit union debit card gives a good exchange rate without a service charge.

I never travel to a foreign country without obtaining a small amount of that country's currency before I leave, if it's possible to do.  

I have observed  the "ugly American" trying to use US dollars to purchase an item in a local store and observed the clerk's reaction to such.  I don't want to be such an "ugly American".  I want to use whatever currency that is used wherever I am to pay for whatever I purchase or for any gratuity that I provide, if I don't use a foreign fee free credit card. 

• Like 3

I always think it's polite to use the local currency if you pay cash--and not everyone takes cards.  It's also an added layer of safety...just in case something unexpected happens.  That said, you'll probably be fine without.

I withdrew cash the first time and then just kept my leftover Canadian dollars for the next time I went back to Alaska.  And trust me, you'll want to go back to Alaska. 🙂    

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Melinda Brasher said:

I withdrew cash the first time and then just kept my leftover Canadian dollars for the next time I went back to Alaska.  And trust me, you'll want to go back to Alaska. 🙂    

This is what I do as well.  No need to convert US dollars to Canadian dollars and then back again.  Each time one does so, there is that exchange rate difference that "nips" one.  

I've been to weeklong conferences in Vancouver and never needed to get Canadian cash. I use a travel credit card without a foreign transaction fee for all purchases big and small. Even cabs and parking meters take a credit card. When I need to tip a valet guy I give them American cash and no one has ever looked down their nose at that. Don't waste your vacation time standing in line at a bank!

Hubby likes to be cautious so we will have some Canadian currency for the just in case or wall item purchase instances... 

I hear both sides... those that say not needed...others who think you should.... 

• Like 1