Lack of a Dress Code

Prince

On a seven day cruise I bring two different evening gowns for formal nights, but for our 15 day cruise this summer I am thinking about packing a black cocktail dress, a long black skirt, and black crepe pants instead since my gowns take up so much space. Has anyone else done this during longer cruises where you have to pack so much more?

I've been hearing that same bit of psychobabble since the 70's. It lets anyone and everyone off the hook for anything that might in any way offend, since the mantra is "Your response to everything you encounter in life is up to you". I've never subscribed to that theory, no matter how many times it is repeated, as it's logical extensions are so absurd.

With this frame of reference, there is truly nothing called "polite society" -- just one that forever looks the other way.

It's not that I often have any problems of this sort on my cruises, nor do I spend much time dwelling on it aboard ship. That isn't even why I've been posting in this thread. It's really because I find those who will do anything to excuse and/or ignore (in other contexts, "tolerance for its own sake") more offensive than what is being excused.

Thank You!!

This is the point which so many of us who are less able adept at phrasing well have been trying so feebly to state.

Bravo!!

. If the 10% (in my experience) of people who happen to be on your cruise and decide not to follow the SUGGESTIONS of what X would like people to wear then maybe you should find ways to focus more on YOUR vacation and not others.!

Great logic. And if someone is a chair hog, or breaks in front of you in line, or is loud and abusive, or wears a thong to formal night, just quit being a bad person by noticing, and focus more on YOUR vacation! :D

I agree completely on the 10% of people being disrespectful... but who cares.......the people who aren't following the suggestions don't care and neither should you.

".

And, using the same logic, the 10 per cent of the population which breaks laws are being respectful, but they don't care if they break laws and commit crimes, so neither should you. :eek:

BB, I'm sorry, but it seems that with each post you make you're undermining your somewhat-limited-to-start-with credibility.

for you.

. This is just my opinion and I am happy to see so many people share that.

BB, I've been following this thread since its inception and haven't been responding, but from what I'm reading the large majority of people responding are NOT sharing your opinion. They seem, rather, to be chiding you for your lack of logic and smugness in thinking that only your somewhat cloudy viewpoint can be the right one.

BB' date=' I've been following this thread since its inception and haven't been responding, but from what I'm reading the large majority of people responding are NOT sharing your opinion. They seem, rather, to be chiding you for your lack of logic and smugness in thinking that only your somewhat cloudy viewpoint can be the right one.[/quote']

True - but a difficult concept for one to accept!

But I'll post it again for reference.

Once you are on board the ship, this topic is basically irrelevant. The 90% will far outweigh the 10%, and it wont amount to a 'hill o beans'.

I have yet to be on a cruise where much attention or discussion focused on how people dressed. I think this is primarily due to 2 things. 1.) The majority will be in compliance with the suggested dress 2.) People have better, more fun, and entertaining things to do on a cruise than talk about something they get all worked up about on Cruise Critic.

I was on the January 13-23 Mercury cruise, and I observed the maitre'd deny admittance to a guy wearing shorts trying to enter the dining room one evening on informal night.

(I also observed a security officer promptly respond from her post on the balcony above the pool and remove another guy who had brought his diaper clad kid into the hot tub.)

Diapers in a pool or hot tub can be disastrous. We went on a short three day cruise on the Vision of the Seas once. Someone put their baby in the indoor pool the first day and baby had an accident in the pool. They had to close the pool for the entire cruise! And this was in rainy Northwest. So NO pool for anyone because of one stupid move by parent.

I have also seen people turned away at the door of the main dining room who were wearing shorts. I belive it was during the "Elegant Tea". I still haven't been able to talk my hubby into going to that :(

Tbelian, YOU ARE WRONG!!! :eek:

I have yet to go on a cruise where there wasn't a game of "Rate the Gown" going on during formal night.:D My, my, what creations people come up with.:rolleyes: I care about my appearance, and do notice what others wear, as well. But, that, dear sir, is part of the entertainment!

O.k., so it's shallow and immature. So I'll go straight to heck. But the good news is that other's fashion misteps/mistakes provide ammusement rather than horror, so maybe you're right about it not bothering the 90% once on board.;)

And, oh, yes, you should be VERY afraid to cruise with me!!!!! I'll silently pass judgement, I'll even think quiet thoughts, why, I'll even make mental notes of what you wear, where you probably bought it, why you shouldn't wear it, and what over-the-counter/presription drugs caused you to purchase it in the first place. (Hey, it's mean, sure, but I gotta try to get those rates down on my cruises somehow, so scaring people away seems as good a plan as any!:p )

All in fun,

Andrew

"Rate the gown" had me laughing too. I thought I was the only catty cruiser. :p Not that it effects my cruise vacation, but seriously some of the things people wear on formal night are just as funny as those that dress off the requested dress code.

Tbelian, YOU ARE WRONG!!! :eek:

I have yet to go on a cruise where there wasn't a game of "Rate the Gown" going on during formal night.:D My, my, what creations people come up with.:rolleyes: I care about my appearance, and do notice what others wear, as well. But, that, dear sir, is part of the entertainment!

O.k., so it's shallow and immature. So I'll go straight to heck. But the good news is that other's fashion misteps/mistakes provide ammusement rather than horror, so maybe you're right about it not bothering the 90% once on board.;)

And, oh, yes, you should be VERY afraid to cruise with me!!!!! I'll silently pass judgement, I'll even think quiet thoughts, why, I'll even make mental notes of what you wear, where you probably bought it, why you shouldn't wear it, and what over-the-counter/presription drugs caused you to purchase it in the first place. (Hey, it's mean, sure, but I gotta try to get those rates down on my cruises somehow, so scaring people away seems as good a plan as any!:p )

All in fun,

Andrew

\

On cruises with my girlfriends, we would get dressed early on formal nights and find the best seat in the house to people watch, martini or champagne in hand. We would watch the formal wear parade and write our scores - from 1-10 - on cocktail napkins. We still do much the same thing, we just don't use napkins any more!

Who needs a Broadway review?

But I'll post it again for reference.

Once you are on board the ship, this topic is basically irrelevant. The 90% will far outweigh the 10%, and it wont amount to a 'hill o beans'.

This is exactly what I have been trying to say.

Webecrusin - I have to disagree that most - on this thread at least disagree with me. I went through and it looks like most follow the dress code but do not allow the small amout of people who do not bother them (that is my position)

The responses have been quite amusing. People will go outof their way to tell us that they have the best cruise in the world. Who are you trying to convince?

Karyn, the Martini Bar will do nicely! But we might miss some who will try to sneak by our eagle eyes by entering the dining room from Deck 4.:(

We'll have to find some compatriots who'll stake out the Rendezvous Lounge so no one feels they can escape our scrutiny!:D

Andrew

BB5953, from your last post, it's next to impossible to figure out what the heck you're trying to say.:rolleyes:

Then I guess you shouldn't concern yourself with it and stay away from topics that are too complex!?! I don't know exactly what you would want me to say to that.

I leave this thread repeating my earlier post

"In short I think the bad news for people who get all worked up over a handful of people not following the suggested dress is that X is just not going to enforce their suggestions (most of the time). However the good news is that most people follow the suggestions of what to wear."

Happy Cruising!!!!

Archived