Virgin Atlantic won't take scooter!!!

daju22

Thanks Desrt and Candy,

Does Virgin have to let you ride it to the door of the plane? Is there a rule?

Yes. Under the ACAA it's your right to stay in your wheelcahir or scooter until you get to the door of the aircraft PROVIDED the wheelcahir/scooter does not have batteries that have to be removed for transport. Gel Cells do not have to be removed, merely disconnected, again per the ACAA.

And like I said, the ACAA now applies (in theory) to foreign airlines, although with some it's not that easy to enforce. (Air France and Luftstansa come to mind). But I'm thinking BA should be more cooperative, as Britts are usually sticklers for any law.

It's also worth noting (just to know what you are dealing with in the UK when you talk to a Customer Service rep over there) that the DDA (very much like our ADA) does not cover air travel; and in fact if you travel on a domestic carrier (Scott Air comes to mind) they don't even have to accept disabled passengers if they cannot board on their own.

Candy

Thanks alot Candy!

I really needed your help and support. It would have been a costly mistake if we had to change airlines. Good to know that the British DDA is so different than our ADA.

Keep up the great work!

Archived