Virgin Atlantic won't take scooter!!!

daju22

Hi,

Almost booked a flight on Virgin Atlantic Newark to London next August. Checked with Virgin before I completed the booking with consolidator.

Was on the phone with Virgin supervisor for an hour. They will not carry our 97 pound go-go scooter on the plane!!!!!

They said they would ship it cargo in 2 or 3 days! By then we'd be on the cruise.

Be careful that you don't book Virgin if you're taking a scooter to Europe.

I'm going to call British Airways as their website says they carry scooters on the plane in baggage. Seem to be more friendly to disabled passengers.

I am surprised. We flew Virgin Atlantic with my husband's power chair several years ago and there were no issues.

Note: We also flew British Airways two years ago. They asked for weight information about the chair, but had no issues about carrying it with the luggage.

I also say call back and talk to the special needs department and let them know you have a mobility assistance device (scooter does have several meanings in the UK). Also thell them you can't walk without it. I think you got a dolt on the phone the first time, because Virgin Atlantic will not accept any unaccompanied baggage on flights originating in the US.

Candy

You either got stuck with an incredibly stupid supervisor or he/she didn't understand what you meant by scooter. Virgin Atlantic *does* accept scooters which are transported with the baggage... in the cargo section of the plane.

Connie

I flew Virgin Atlantic this past August and I personally saw them putting three scooters in the baggage hold. This was a flight from Dulles to London Heathrow. Something isn't right here. Virgin has always gone the extra mile to accommodate me and my disability every time I've flown on them. I rather like the explanation of thinking your scooter is a Vespa type motor bike and not a vehicle for the disabled.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

I was really excited about flying on Virgin. I've sent them emails about this problem and will write to Mr. Branson.

I was very clear that my husband is disabled. They said that they would carry the folding wheelchair, but not the scooter.

I must have been talking to a "dolt" supervisor (a man named Vicky in England). He said they won't carry it because of "security" and that it was "too heavy and more than our baggage allotment". He had me on hold for a loooong time while he called the airport.

Maybe they thought my disabled husband could ride a two wheeled scooter? That would be a trick!

I was very clear about needing to ride it to the door of the plane, and that all of the American based airlines take the scooter in baggage free of charge.

I think I'll try for British Airways or Continental.

They have an earlier flight time for us anyway. Oh well, sometimes things work out better if you don't get what you want:) .

Will just keep checking for sales on the flights I want.

Thanks again for all your posts and experiences!

It was Virgin Airlines that destroyed our last wheelchair on our flight to England. It was split right down the middle.

I would also be surprised about not being able to take a scooter. Wonder if the issue is trying to gate check because of the weight and having to transport it from the gate to baggage hold. If you would have baggage checked it and then used an airport wheelchair to the gate, would they have transported it?

Hebe,

A supervisor named Vicky(a man) based in England ,who doesn't know anything at all apparently, said they wouldn't transport it at all on the flight we were on. He stated security and weight as the reasons.

Virgin does transport scooters. I confirmed it with the Special Assistance Department by email. You can't call them toll-free. If you want to talk to them which you must do to bring the scooter, you have to call the toll free American number and ask for the Medical Agent!

What a runaround I've gotten.

Still may take their flight as it's a one-way and the best price even though it flies out at 9:45 PM and gets to LHR at 9:25AM. One-ways are extremely expensive!

So sorry to hear that they destroyed your wheelchair! Hope they replaced it! Wonder if anyone else had a problem with them.

Depends on what happens when I call the Medical Agent today.

• 2 weeks later...

Once I finally found a US rep to talk to in claims - I had no problem getting it replaced after we got home. It was just the problem of trying to get something to replace it in London. Maybe we can find something for you in a few days was just not acceptable.

I agree their prices are good. Check Cheaptickets.com or cheapair.com. We got that one way to London last year -- $209.00 with tax.

Deb

Hi Deb,

Glad to hear you got your chair replaced. Seems that you must speak to an American rep. so that they understand you.

Never speak to anyone based in london.

I'm waiting for a medical rep to call so that they can have all the details for our flight concerning the scooter. Sure is a roundabout way of doing things! They should just train their regular reps or have a computer screen with all of the questions to ask.

That was a super price for a one-way! I just paid 382 per person. Don't know if prices would come down, but they seem alot higher at all sites and even the cruiseline price is double!

Thanks for your help,

Judy

Hi,

Old TA secret!!!

The price of a one-way ticket is generally more than a return trip believe it or not, so the way you get around it is to book the lowest rate return excursion the airline offers (and only worry about your outbound leg).

Once you get to your destination, you phone them up and say that there was an emergency and you'll relinquish the ticket for the return leg (which you had no intention of using anyway).

Cheaper seat and no hassles.

Ciao for now!!!

Hi,

Old TA secret!!!

The price of a one-way ticket is generally more than a return trip believe it or not, so the way you get around it is to book the lowest rate return excursion the airline offers (and only worry about your outbound leg).

Once you get to your destination, you phone them up and say that there was an emergency and you'll relinquish the ticket for the return leg (which you had no intention of using anyway).

Cheaper seat and no hassles.

Ciao for now!!!

Captainron,

Are you talking about booking a round trip then canceling the return? I thought about it and was too worried about them coming after me for the full price of the tickets.

Let me know how this works for booking future one way flights.

Thanks,

Judy

Hey you Daju 22,

You hit it right on the head.

Book your return excursion fare if it's cheaper than a one-way ticket. Once you get to your destination you call up the airline and advise them that you're no longer able to travel on the return day of the ticket. You know you will not get any $$$$ back, however you are providing them the courtesy of opening up a seat for the date you will not use. You could tell them that you will contact them for future travel arrangements as required. T

They have no right to chase you down as you paid for the entire RT ticket. Nothing says you have to use the rtn leg. The specifcs are that if you do so that you are locked into that fllight on that date at the posted departure time.

Ciao for now!!!

Hi Captainron,

I'm flying New York to London. Just worried about security. They'll want to make sure you leave the country won't they. Seems like a risk. Have you ever done this internationally since 911?

Thanks a bunch,

Daju,

When was the last time immigration officials in Britain asked you to produce your return portion of the ticket?

Generally, they will ask you for your passport, and in many cases (like Frankfurt), you walk through the red light line only if you have anything to declare. They will ask you how long you'll be in the country, but I have never been asked to produce a rtn or onward ticket. For example, you might be flying on an "open jaw" whereby you fly into London but return from Paris , Frankfurt or Rome. You might be on an open ticket or in the case of extensive travel, have no ticket and purchase when you are ready to rtn home. In such a case, you would not have an airline ticket anyway.

In travelling around the world for over 35 yrs, I have never been asked to produce my return ticket except in the most remote locations, and in the seventies I actually got asked in Sydney, Australia, but that was it.

Ciao for now!!!

Captainron,

Since I've only been to Europe once before in 1997, I don't remember what they asked me!:eek: It was too exciting to remember. Heathrow had horrible lines and soooo many people.

So I wonder if the airline would bother to find you? Someone on another thread a while ago said they do that. When you return, they have a huge bill for you-full fare prices!

Since you're the expert, I guess you have done this before.

Thanks for your help,

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again,

Well, I got another email reply from my January email about taking our scooter on Virgin Atlantic. I'm really upset. Anyone with Virgin flight experience that can help me reply to this man. He says I definitely can't take the scooter!!! How do you respond to this man. I took out the case # and my name. Here's the email:

Our Ref:

08 March 2006

Dear

Thank you for your email detailing your concerns to us.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to you. I

assure

you that no discourtesy was intended.

I have just spoken to Vicky from our Customer Relations team. He

informs

me that on receipt of your request to carry your husband's scooter and

foldable wheelchair in the baggage compartment of the aircraft, he

contacted one of our staff at JFK airport. The lady representative

there

informed him that this was not possible due to two reasons; firstly the

scooter weighed 97 lbs., which exceeds our baggage allowance of 70 lbs.

Secondly, since the scooter runs on a gel battery, it could create a

possible safety hazard since gel batteries are inflammable.

As with any other safety issue, this is not one where we can

compromise. I

can appreciate your disappointment especially since you and your

husband

needed it for your cruise. I also apologise for any conflicting

information that may have been available on our website. I have passed

on

your comments to the relevant department so that the necessary

amendments

can be made.

Furthermore I understand that other airlines have allowed you to carry

this

equipment on board in the past. We are not in position to comment on

the

policies of other airlines, but trust that you will understand our

position

in this regard.

In closing, I want to thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Your

present feelings are appreciated, however, I do hope that you and your

husband will not judge us on the basis of this particular experience.

Yours sincerely

Winston D'Lima

Customer Relations Executive

Thanks alot for your help. I already bought the tickets too!

I like your idea of contacting Richard Branson.

Good luck...................I can't believe this either............... What would happen if you just called the regular reservations number and said you were just calling to make sure they had your notation for your scooter and your wheelchair?

Hi Desrt,

I have talked with a rep. A "medical agent" was supposed to call me back to check on our needs. This seems to be the way its handled at this airline. Have not heard from anyone from Virgin by phone.

Will have to call again. I thought that since we weren't flying til August that the agent just didn't get back to us. Guess she forgot about our need.

I'm just flabbergasted!! This man is a C R "Executive" and should know the airline policy for assistive devices.

Should never have asked any questions. Just hope it's the confusion over the term scooter, but I explained that to them.

Judy, I'm so sorry you are having trouble. I hope someone sees the light soon and it is all well taken care of. It's too bad that you have this hassle when you are so looking forward to your cruise...

Laine

Wish I had some great suggestions for you.....................:(

I guess I would remind them that even though they are not a US airline, they are bound by the rules of the ACAA because it's a direct flight departing or arriving in the US. Assitive devices are not counted as baggage under the ACAA and are not subject to baggage allowance restrictions. Also, the ACAA specifically permits the transport of gel cell batteries.

The mans' name was Vicky???

edited to add, perhaps you should contact the DOT hotline -- it's for ACAA consumer matters like this. 866-266-1368 <during biz hours>

Candy

Thanks Desrt and Candy,

I think it's solved. I finally got a call from the medical agent who is in Florida last night at 9 PM. She apologized for the mistakes and said they would transport our scooter. She said they wouldn't let him ride it to the door of the plane, but I guess that's alright as long as they take it. Does Virgin have to let you ride it to the door of the plane? Is there a rule?

In researching all of Virgin's policies, I found that they call scooters motorized buggies-I think. Maybe that's where the confusion lies.

Thanks for your help. Glad this problem is solved. Candy, the DOT number you gave me may be very useful in the future. Will check out the policy of the ACAA on the internet.

Yes, the man's name was Vicky (not sure if I spelled it correctly) and we are leaving from Newark, not JFK, but the agent at JFK should know the rules. This is truly a major language barrier. Anyone who flies with Virgin should make sure they talk to an American customer service rep.

The American number for Virgin Atlantic is: 1-800-821-5438

The American Special Assistance number is: 1-800-862-8621

I've learned alot from this experience. Don't take no for an answer. Keep calling until you speak with someone who knows what they're doing.:o

Your help is invaluable.

Much appreciation for your time.

Desrt,

It sure is a big relief!!

I asked them to correspond with email if they had further questions. A rep from Britian wrote today. Wanted to know more about the scooter and my husband's health. Asked if he could be of further assistance. Also said the scooter can be ridden to the door of the plane. Asked if I can also take the wheelchair to the door.

I think it's a good idea to get things in writing.

Thank you!!!!!!

People on these boards are wonderful!!!

Archived