Is this even allowed??

carmel

We are flying in to SJ the day before our cruise departs. We are going straight to the hotel and then go out touring. The next morning, we want to do a little shopping in old SJ before boarding. I think we can board around 1pm and our ship departs at 8pm. If we do a little touring the morning of departure, we will need to take a taxi down to old SJ and then back to the hotel to get our luggage and then back to old SJ to board (I've been to SJ before and know that the shopping area is well within walking distance to the pier). What I am wondering is.......can we check in at the ship, drop our baggage (we can carry carryons while we shop) and then disembark to shop? I don't think we can do this but just wanted to check. It would be nice if we can avoid all the back and forth from Condado to old SJ via taxis.

Thanks so much for the help.

Oh, if we can't do that, does anyone know if there is a place we can leave our luggage close to the pier so that we can take a taxi down there in the morning (after checking out of the hotel), drop our luggage, shop and then check in to the ship?

You could do it two ways. You could check into the ship and then get off again, that's no problem, or, if you don't mind carrying your carryons, just give your check in bags to the porter and then do some shopping prior to doing the check in for the ship.

I would do the check in and then get off myself so I didn't have to carry around the carryons.

Are you sure however that you are boarding in OSJ and not the Pan Am pier?

Well, I guess that is the next question. My assumption was OSJ.

I will have to research that. It is nice to know that I can leave my bags with the porter or check in and then disembark. For some reason, I thought that was a no-no.

Thanks SO much for the info!

I think all RCI and Celebrity ships sail from the Pan Am Pier. I would check in first, then get off the ship to do the shopping I wanted. That way you could probably leave your carry-on bags in the cabin and when you return from shopping, your luggage might be there and it's easy to get back on the ship.

We have gone off the ship after we had lunch and it was very easy. Enjoy your cruise.

Archived