Recs for salmon fishing in Ketchikan with kids?

Dani24

We’ll be in Ketchikan July 31st off the Grand Princess, and I’m hoping to find a good salmon fishing excursion that will take my daughter (who will have just turned 7).

Growing up, my family was big into salmon fishing and I started salmon fishing when I was 5. Caught my biggest (16.5 lbs) when I was only 6.5 years old! Unfortunately, due to a variety of circumstances I have not been in a decade, and am not equipped to take my daughter on my own. But I would LOVE to share that experience with her, because there is nothing like fighting a big salmon and reeling it in (except maybe eating it!) 

I took my mom to Alaska last year, and she wanted to fish for salmon.  Mom was using a wheelchair at the time due to injuring her knee after we landed in Alaska, but we were able to go on our excursions including our Ketchikan fishing excursion which was her favorite of the whole trip.  We both caught our limit of one king salmon each despite it being a time of year when certain posters here always say no one catches fish then (I actually caught 3 but could only keep one).  Neither mom or I are super experienced fishermen.  I actually had never caught a fish before, and neither of us had been fishing in a LONG time.

We went with Captain Nick at Chasin Tail Charters.  He was awesome!!!  He rents the boat, so you are not with other people—just your group.  He was very patient and super knowledgeable about all things fishing.  The boat was clean and comfy with plenty of seating space and clean restroom onboard.  He also has some snacks onboard.  His website specifically states they welcome kids.  https://www.ketchikan.fish/ketchikan-fishing-charters/#captain

Oh, and a bonus, he will call the eagles over which is just SO AMAZING.

I will make one very small warning which is not about this captain, but I did hear some salty language coming over the radio from some of the other captains on the water that day.  Enjoy!78BEAC81-76AE-4813-A365-068DFB6877D1.thumb.jpeg.da381fb560438c9e26ee9d41fd165f76.jpegD780D82E-6605-497F-9ABC-831722AF9B2D.thumb.jpeg.494aad2e798f31c2830a7b765d8020eb.jpeg

We have had great fun with our kids just fishing off the dock and bridge at Creek Street. It's much more cost effective than booking an excursion - just rented the rods and the bought the fishing licenses right there by Dolly's House on Creek Street. In recent years we actually brought our own gear and purchased the licenses online. Children under 16 don't require a fishing license so you won't need one for your daughter. It's a fun way to spend a morning - just another option to consider.