NCL North/South Red Blend Wine

roger001

Hey.  A while back there was a thread on the North/South NCL proprietary label Red Blend Wine and who makes it for them.  Someone suggested it was the Mondavi winery in California.   While walking through our local Publix yesterday, just happened to notice a bottle of Robert Mondavi Private Selection Heritage Red Blend 2017 ($9.95) sitting there.  Having still a bottle of the NCL Red Blend 2016 at home from our last cruise, decided to do the taste test.

Gotta tell ya.....damn close!   I sampled them side by side.  I'm declaring that the Mondavi is really, really close but maybe having just a bit more flavor, richness, fruitness than the NCL....but not much.   And, I think that if someone switched glasses on me while drinking one or the other, I might not even realize it happened.  Also, they are different vintage which could influence the slight difference some.  

So in conclusion, following this very accurate and scientific test, even if Mondavi isn't the one making it for NCL, if you have a craving for the NCL Red Blend, find a bottle of the Mondavi.   You probably won't recognize a difference without a bottle of each to put side by side. 

It was my pleasure to conduct this public service for you.  I believe this evening I'll even continue further evaluation.   

• Like 6

3 hours ago, roger001 said:

I'll even continue further evaluation. 

Good idea.  We bought the Mondavi prior to our recent sailing and found that it and the N/S tasted very similar and tasted far better after the second glass.    I prefer a better red blend in my real life, but with the UDP the N/S suffices adequately.    

The NCL rose offerings are abysmal but on our sailing they had the Bon Jovi rose for a slight upcharge which saved our 11-night sailing.  

Cheers!