12 HOURS IN FAIRBANKS BEFORE FLIGHT HOME

Ought To Be Cruising

We will be released from our Cruise/Land tour around 9am and we fly home at 11pm,  We have rented a car.... I would love suggestions on something to do during the day until the flight home. We will be in Fairbanks several days so we will be doing most tourist tours with our cruise package.  Any suggestions would be appreciated ,

We had the same situation in 2017!  We originally planned to drive to Chena Hot Springs (60 miles) and spend the day there but my friends son, who lives in Fairbanks, wasn’t really interested.  So instead, we went to see Beauty and the Beast at the movies (yes, really...was kind of nice to just chill), the local ice museum, out to lunch and to North Pole.  Even with that we arrived at the airport many hours early. It was a long flight home!

I would love to have a day in Fairbanks!  I would contact the Arctic German Shepherd Rescue, and see if they could use a couple of volunteers for the day.  The lady that runs the rescue is an amazing example of the Alaska spirit, and also happens to be a world class photographer!

We will be in Fairbanks soon (we leave in a week). We were looking for uniquely Alaskan things to see and would have loved to have a walk with the reindeer. Sure can't do that at home. Will not work out for us as they are booked the day we are there https://runningreindeer.com/

We will likely take a walk at Creamers Field Nature Trail in the evening. From Alaska.org "This path was constructed to provide a place for hikers to view the plantlife around interior Alaska. This is a unique trail that allows hikers to view things that would be impossible to hike without a trail. There are all types of wildlife and small plants. Waterboots are recommended in spring." Might be good to stretch your legs before the flight.

The University of Alaska Museum of the North is supposed to be fantastic if you want to check that out.

Hope this is helpful. We haven't been yet, but I have been enjoying the research and planning.

16 hours ago, ppatick said:

I’ve never been to Fairbanks, our cruise was round trip from Seattle. Sorry, maybe someone else will be more helpful.

deleted

Edited by donaldsc

AKStafford has provided the website for our Visitor and Convention Bureau.  Our local newspaper, the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, also has a visitor's guide they publish on their website (www.newsminer.com).

I don't know what our OP means by "most tourist tours" but I suspect they are referring to the Riverboat Discovery and Gold Dredge No. 8.  Both attractions are owned by the same family and so a number of the cruise tours do both as they can be timed for an easy pairing.  

But I would suggest the Museum of the North and also the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum.  Friends of Creamer's Field does guided walks at Creamer's Field daily.  And if the cruise tour doesn't include a photo stop at the Alaska pipeline viewing station north of Fairbanks consider a quick drive out to Fox.  Depending on the day of the week I would also suggest visiting the Tanana Valley Farmer's Market; the market isn't open daily.  The OP needs to check visitor guides for local festivals/events.  If they are in Fairbanks around the summer solstice there are a number of solstice celebration activities.

I completely forgot to mention the absolute BEST EVER thing in Fairbanks. We did it the day before our flight and therefore wasn’t  thinking of it. Try and book a visit to Running Reindeer Ranch. Best few hours ever!

9D7A0113-A8D5-462C-A5CE-A6426A974DD4.jpeg

9EDD6039-FEF1-4A1A-9F7C-27EEDEA26A30.jpeg

Edited by BullyLvr
  • Like 1

Another vote for Running Reindeer Ranch if you can book it, we had a blast  (even when the baby got a case of the zoomies and ran into my husband almost knocking him down LOL babies will be babies).

20170606_104246_resized.jpg

20170606_112942_resized.jpg

20170606_114654_resized.jpg

20170606_121616_resized.jpg

• Like 1

Chena hot springs is my first choice with a stop at the pipeline viewing station along the way.  University of Alaska is very scenic and has a nice museum.  There is also a large animal station if you go after May 27:  Animal Park.

You might be tired of big meals at the end of a cruise but the Pump House has an amazing weekend brunch and the Turtle Club in Fox has great prime rib.

It’s nice to wander around Pioneer park.  They have a salmon cookout in the evening.  Good views of the river.

There’s also a weird fabric store that features an amazing variety of furs: https://www.alaskarawfur.com/  worth a stop if you’ve got a few minutes.  And if you don’t have a Fred Meyer store where you live it’s a good place to shop - a little of everything.

the airport is very tiny so don’t worry about long lines at security

Have a great cruise!

47 minutes ago, New Mexico 8 said:

Thanks to everyone for all your ideas,,  they sound great, can't wait to see how many we can get in in one day.

Please remember to report on what you did and how everything worked out.  And have fun on your cruise and post cruise tour.

We just spent the day in Fairbanks and here is what we did. We rented a car and drove out the Chena Hot Springs road to hike to Angel Rocks. After the hike we continued to the end of the road to the hot springs just to look around. Since it was Memorial Day weekend it was really crowded. When we returned to Fairbanks we stopped at the Morris Thompson cultural and visitors center. This place was a great place to learn about the history and people of Fairbanks. It had some really neat exhibits and tons of maps and brochures. There were some informational movies too. We really enjoyed it and wished we had stopped by earlier. 

Edited by Eileen G