Athens Hotels

ct49

My wife and I will be on a Eastern Mediterranean cruise in June of 2020. We will depart from Athens an end in Venice and plan to spend at least two nights pre and post cruise.

I am interested in your favorite hotels in both cities and a short reason why you like that hotel.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

I will bestaying at the Athens Hilton for one night on points.

2 nights at the Electra metropolis hotel.  It has a pool, a view of the acropolis and is around $250/night. 

We will be going on a Windstar cruise and they use the Grand Bretagne. A bit expensive when we travel with the kids. 

In Venice  I like the hotel metropolis. It’s on the grand canal near the Danielli.  It’s in a 15 th century palace and has an amazing breakfast. 

if you are looking at 5 star hotels in downtown Athens, Grande Bretagne and Electra Palace are the best, as they are also situated right at Syntagma square. Hilton, Hyatt and Intercontintental are also fine, but are 2-3 miles away from Syndagma.

Athens: Have stayed at Grande Bretagne and its neighbor + partner King George many times. Why do we keep going back?

Very central location for walking, but the metro is right outside. Also, super easy to tell your taxi just to take you to Grande Bretagne or Syntgama Square — even if they don’t speak English, they will know these landmarks.

Amazing view from the rooftop bars and restaurants. Worth splurging on the breakfast buffet one day (if you don’t have Marriott status that includes it) just to try so many Greek items.

Impeccable service from housekeeping and front desk. After a day in the Greek sun and heat, there are no words to describe the godsend of reliable air conditioning and a decent shower. I have also stayed in places with AC that is barely lukewarm and showers so small I cannot stand in there without touching the wall (and I have a healthy BMI!).

Take one of their hotel history tours and a wine class in their wine library. 

Edited by GlennaRoseGoes
  • Like 1

I also have stayed at the Grande Bretagne twice -- in addition to the things mentioned just above, I loved having a cocktail on the rooftop and watching the sun go down, with a view of the acropolis. But I also want to point out that you can do that even if you're not staying at the hotel (and I recommend it!). 

However, a more reasonable option I can wholeheartedly recommend is the Athens Gate hotel. It is very clean, modern, with absolutely fine air conditioning and shower, and also has a rooftop with great views in both directions (e.g., of the acropolis and of the temple of Olympian Zeus on the other side of the hotel).  It is literally steps from the Acropolis museum and the Acropoli metro stop, as well as being on the doorstep of the plaka.