Noordam pics

Copper10-8

I don't think these are current pictures because of the Library.

I thought the Noordam was coming with the New York times upgrade for the Explorers Lounge.

I did see some pictures on a post from this website. It was a few pictures

when she was being built. You might try doing a search for Noordam Pictures.

Usually, Steve G. (ShipCafe) visits the new ships and provides us pictures. Now why hasn't he journeyed to the north of Italy to get some shots for us? :confused: ;)

It will be nice to see pix of her out of the shipyard and heading across the pond.

I haven't seen anything yet - if I do, I'll let everyone know.

Also, FYI, NOORDAM, like all the ships built for HAL by Fincantieri, is being built at the Marghera (Venice) yard, not Monfalcone (Trieste). Generally speaking, Princess and Carnival ships are built at Monfalcone, and Costa ships are built at Sestri Ponente (Genoa).

Those aren't Noordam...

...those are pix of Westerdam

Funny, when I clicked on those two pics and tried to safe them, it told me the top one was Zuiderdam and the bigger one Oosterdam so now we have them all covered except the one we're looking for;) BTW, thanks for setting me straight on the shipyard locations, Doug!

so now we have them all covered except the one we're looking for

Ah, well, the transgressions of that page are many! Aside from having photos of the wrong ship, it calls her a "boat" (big no no!), gives her the wrong passenger capacity, and misidentifies the Pinnacle Grill as the "Main Dining Room"!

Geek Cruises, perhaps, but not for ship geeks ;) ...

I thought the Noordam was coming with the New York times upgrade for the Explorers Lounge.

The Explorations Cafe is NOT taking the place of the Explorer's Lounge. On Vista ships the Explorer's Lounge is aft on the Lower Promenade deck; that's NOT where they're putting the Explorations Cafe Powered by the New York Times. No, the Exploration's Cafe is taking the place of the Internet Center and Java Cafe area as found on the other Vistas. Here's the deckplans, with the Oosterdam on the left and the Noordam on the right:

promdeckplan1.jpg

You might note that the Library is not being touched in this redesign.

In the future, when they drydock the other 3 Vistas for upgrades and repairs, they'll convert them to this standard too.

The Explorations Cafe is NOT taking the place of the Explorer's Lounge.

I might add that while, unlike the Vistas, it has consumed the Library on the S- and R-class ships, it is not taking the place of the Explorers Lounge on any ship. (Not that you implied that - just wanted to make it perfectly clear :) .)

My son is in Mestre, Italy working on the Noordam. When I spoke with him Weds. night, he said that there are going to be lots of festivities at the shipyard this weekend. They are supposed to be leaving the shipyard on Sunday spending a few days in Venice before starting the journey across the Atlantic.

He said that everything is coming together and she is a beautiful ship. No pics though, that's a no, no at this point. ;)

Oh, you mean the inaugural roll call. Since my cruise will be 11/25/05, I wouldn't have looked there, and others wonth either. Here is the URL posted on the 2/22/06 roll call: http://www.nedcruise.info/noordam-4.htm

The ship looks pretty but huge. I also wonder if all of the pictures are actually the Noordam, since the Showtime pic shows people performing. Are there test shows? In any event, the stern picture clearly shows the word "Noordam". It also says "Nassau", which seems to conflict with the statement that the registry is Dutch.

The photos on this page are excellent.

The aft photo shows the reduced "stair-step" effect that we've heard about which results from the lengthening of the decks. There's still a slight forward-leaning slope, but it's not nearly as much as with the other Vistas.

She looks GOOD.

Oh, you mean the inaugural roll call. Since my cruise will be 11/25/05, I wouldn't have looked there, and others wonth either. Here is the URL posted on the 2/22/06 roll call: http://www.nedcruise.info/noordam-4.htm

The ship looks pretty but huge. I also wonder if all of the pictures are actually the Noordam, since the Showtime pic shows people performing. Are there test shows? In any event, the stern picture clearly shows the word "Noordam". It also says "Nassau", which seems to conflict with the statement that the registry is Dutch.

Great pics thanks!:) You make a good point! The "Noordam" and "Nassau" names almost look like they've been air-brushed in

My understanding from PRINSENDAM is that until the ship's ownership is transferred from Fincantieri to HAL - the ship is temporarily registered in the Bahamas.

Once HAL officially owns the vessel, its up to them to change the flag and paint the new port of registry on the stern...

...so somebody in Venice is probably awake tonite painting new letters on Noordam's butt

;)

Joanandjoe, thanks for that link....the ship does look beautiful. To answer your question about the performers, yes they are doing rehearsals. They've been over there for almost a month. My son is working in the theatre...production assistant, stage crew and whatever else they need. They did a show for the shipyard workers on the weekend and apparently it was much appreciated.

As far as sending pics, they've only recently gotten the internet up and running and he said it's still way too slow to send pictures. They leave Friday, have a stop in Spain and then it's on to Boston.

Here is the URL posted on the 2/22/06 roll call: http://www.nedcruise.info/noordam-4.htm

Hmm... I don't seem to be able to get that to load. From responses below I gather that it's just me. I'll try back tomorrow, as I'm eager to see what she looks like!

The ship looks pretty but huge.

Well, the Vistas are big ships - but they don't seem that huge to me as I've been on much larger vessels.

Actually, everything, even the VOYAGER-class ships, don't seem all that big compared to QM2. Even the larger FREEDOM OF THE SEAS won't - she'll be "bigger" in terms of tonnage but QM2 will still be longer, wider, taller, etc. so will still "feel" bigger. There really is nothing else like her.

It also says "Nassau", which seems to conflict with the statement that the registry is Dutch.

As Brian says below, she was built under Bahamian registry, and then when ownership transfers from Fincantieri to HAL, she beomes Dutch.

This is done for purely financial reasons - among other things, it lets them avoid certain taxes.

I think the last HAL ship to start out under the Dutch flag must have been PRINSENDAM (I), also the last HAL ship to be built in a Dutch yard.

Just yesterday in a local newspaper (Noord Hollands Dagblad) some photos were published of the transfer on the Wharf to HAL of Noordam I will try to find out if they have those photos published on a different link maybe.

John, I couldnot find the dutch article and the photos back on Internet.It was taken over by todays newspaper already and the archive doesnot really work.

However I made a scan of this article of yesterday with their photos and sent it to you by e-mail.

I also sent another article without photos that was published in De Telegraaf.

Archived