Smoking and Coco Cay

On 5/29/2019 at 10:47 PM, broberts said:

Non smokers appreciate this sort of information as it makes it easier to avoid the areas entirely.

Amen.  However, that's only a temporary solution. Perhaps some real eye-opening education would be of assistance.

Smokers burn through 6 trillion cigarettes every year, and most are just randomly tossed into the environment. Butts contain microplastics and harmful chemicals. That doesn't infer smokers are bad people at all, rather...their additive habit is ultimately harmful to everyone in one manner or another. Enablement harms everyone. 

Affect of cigarette butts...

Then again...if a picture is worth a thousand words...these depict the effects of allowing ANY smoking.

Bird_Butt.jpg

bird-cigarette.jpg?format=300w

cigarette-litter-1_orig.jpg

cigbuttsbeach_daniellerichardet.jpg?w=64

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/1/2019 at 7:52 AM, time4u2go said:

Off-topic, but I always thought "gatour" meant "Georgia tour".😮

Lol,

I went to a certain large Florida university, back in the days before the Internet, when bulletin board systems, Arpanet, Compuserve, Genie, etcwere means to communicate "online".  Let just say gator was already taken, so I turned it "french".

Thanks from me too! I haven’t smoked for 10 years, but I am married to a guy who has not kicked the habit and it is better to know where they are located so he is not spending his vacation day searching.  Smoking is legal and we if we are free people then we get to choose for ourselves.. I wonder how many people realize that they use to given soldiers going to war packs of cigarettes and almost every military camp in WWII was named for a cigarette brand? My only point is that some people began smoking at a time when it was everywhere and accepted. Those people aren’t suddenly evil and immoral.  FYI I wish people would not drink, alcohol is far more damaging to the world as a whole than smoking will ever be, but I see no one yelling or moralizing about that (as they hold their gin and tonic).  

Also I’m so confused by the Bird and cigarette pictures. Our wildlife is damaged horribly by all the plastics we use and I would venture to say that the impact of cigarette butts to wildlife is very minimal in comparison. If there is a stand to take against smoking, and I have no idea why someone would choose this particular thread with a positive intent as a place to do it unless  the place to do it unless their need is just to fight with people,, the harm to wildlife seems an invalid one (especially when I have little doubt those same people buy soda in large plastic bottles and occasionally drink from a plastic cup).  Can't there just be an occasional thread where no one decides to throw virtual grenades?

Edited by 2Beeze
  • Like 1