Verizon wireless on Canada New England cruise

yerdua

I'm sailing on the Zaandam next week from montreal to boston and am trying to decide if I should buy one of HAL's internet plans or just use Verizon's $5/day Canada plan. All I really need is the ability to receive and make calls and texts in case of any emergency back home. I've looked at Verizon's coverage map and from what I can see, it should cover me in most areas we'll be sailing (st Lawrence seaway) and definitely in ports. The question is how far from land (and Verizon's signal) does the ship sail, especially coming around nova scotia and towards bar harbor? Have any Verizon users ever done this itinerary just with Verizon or do I really need to purchase one of HAL's plans? If I need to go with HAL, which plan - surf or social? I definitely will not be streaming. Appreciate any insight anyone may have.

I am with Verizon and currently on the Boston to Montreal itinerary.  We have a North America plan so get great coverage in all ports.  (We did these same ports last September.). We don’t buy the ship’s internet because we’re in port all day and only travel in the evenings.  I always turn my data/roaming/cellular off when we leave port, then reconnect in the mornings so I cannot comment on reception at sea.

We have Verizon. Did the NYC to Quebec City last fall.  We have the Canada/US/Mexico plan. Used it the whole time for calls, texts and data. You are limited on the data per day when outside the US but it was great for checking emails and keeping in touch with family. Did not notice any times of no service except when in our inside cabin low in the ship...

4 hours ago, yerdua said:

I'm sailing on the Zaandam next week from montreal to boston and am trying to decide if I should buy one of HAL's internet plans or just use Verizon's $5/day Canada plan. All I really need is the ability to receive and make calls and texts in case of any emergency back home. I've looked at Verizon's coverage map and from what I can see, it should cover me in most areas we'll be sailing (st Lawrence seaway) and definitely in ports. The question is how far from land (and Verizon's signal) does the ship sail, especially coming around nova scotia and towards bar harbor? Have any Verizon users ever done this itinerary just with Verizon or do I really need to purchase one of HAL's plans? If I need to go with HAL, which plan - surf or social? I definitely will not be streaming. Appreciate any insight anyone may have.

Just be aware that for much of the time you are not actually in Canada, but are "at sea" and at those times your Verizon (or other carrier) plan will not be in play.  Be careful only to use it when in port either in Canada or the US.  Not sure if there are times the ship is close enough to land that you can get onto Verizon - maybe... but  I'm pretty sure that when the ship is underway your phone will mostly connect to the ship's internet so just be careful. 

We did not find that to be true. We used our phone the whole trip. Most of the time you could see land. I never connected to the ship’s internet.

Edited by wyobean

Remember, you don't have to buy an internet package, you can a day's worth of ship's internet on any day you are not getting your Verizon signal.  I think a day's worth of ship's internet is $25, expensive but cheaper than a package, especially considering you will have signal in ports.  m--

Thank you all for the in sight. I think I'll just stick with verizon. If there's an emergency when we're "at sea" and it goes to the ship's cellular so be it. Last time we cruised there was an emergency and we had to resort to the ship's satellite phone. Now that's expensive (but sometimes necessary). I'm not planning on initiating any conversations, just want to be available if necessary.

Edited by yerdua

Here is the notification I got last night from Verizon when I plugged my phone in to recharge.  We were about six hours from leaving Sydney, NS, on our way to  Charlottetown, PEI, when this came in.

78FFEF8A-91F1-46A5-8643-59B8D054BE9D.jpeg

Yes, this is what I was afraid would happen.  I think the people who were able to connect with land cell towers on their entire Canada cruise were extremely lucky. What you received is much more common. I am always sure to keep my phones on airplane mode while cuising - either I use the ship's wifi or just do without until we actually are in port... it's too iffy otherwise - and huge charges have been known to result just from having the phone on with data roaming...

Edited by Moriah

19 minutes ago, Moriah said:

Yes, this is what I was afraid would happen.  I think the people who were able to connect with land cell towers on their entire Canada cruise were extremely lucky. What you received is much more common. I am always sure to keep my phones on airplane mode while cuising - either I use the ship's wifi or just do without until we actually are in port... it's too iffy otherwise - and huge charges have been known to result just from having the phone on with data roaming...

No no.  There are no roaming charges.  It warns us if charges are about to apply, which is what you see above.  Cruise Ship rates are pay as you go.

28201816-3802-41AA-8726-86E3CA29FB76.jpeg

Edited by *Miss G*