Packing for Epic Mediterranean Cruise

I am hoping you all can make me feel better as I am driving myself crazy thinking about what to pack/bring on our Epic Mediterranean cruise.  We leave in 4 weeks to head over to Rome where we will stay for 3 nights before boarding the ship.  I’ve read, researched and scoured the Internet for ideas of what people wear but want to know from you CC’s who have been on this cruise what you wore on a summer trip.

One of our days in Rome we have the Vatican and St. Peter’s Basilica tour.  So we are respectful and won’t be turned away, we will all (me, DH and DS(15)) wear something that goes past our knees and have sleeves.  For the other days are shorts ok?  I’ve read that Italians don’t wear shorts and we would stick out like a tourist.  I imagine that almost everywhere we go it with be filled with tourists so how much will we really stick out.

When visiting the ports on the cruise will most people be in shorts?  Carry backpack or just leave it at home?  Do you wear jewelry (wedding rings, watches) or are you afraid of thieves?

Thank you for the help!

We did this cruise many years ago, but frequently go to Rome.  The important thing is to keep your shoulders and knees covered when touring so you can go into every building.  If it's hot, I just tie a scarf around my bag and put it on my shoulders to go inside.  Pick pockets are huge and are mostly children.  Belt bags that can also be worn crossbody are a good idea.  Hire a car to go from Rome to the port.  Early in the day it's 30-45 minutes, and longer as the day goes on.  The port is cute and has some things to see that you can just walk to.  You don't need to dress up on the ship, so that keeps packing fairly easy.  Also remember that nearly all of your walking in port will be on cobblestones.  I splurge on shoes that give sure footing.  I also suggest getting mole skin with adhesive and bringing a small scissors with.  That way you can take care of blisters right away (buy in the foot aisle at any store).  You can buy blister kits which are different than just band aids.  I have used them and they work (been spending more on shoes ever since...).  Take many photos and bring a portable battery charger when you tour.  Also, do not put your passport in any of your luggage after customs.  Keep it on your person.  You don't want to spend you valuable time in an office.  Use yelp to find great local restaurants.  I'm not a huge foodie, but it's really amazing.  Also hotel concierce can help with suggestions and reservations, which you will need if it's a good one.  Harry's Bar is not far from the spanish steps (10-15 min walk).  Go have a famous Peach Bellini.  Have a fabulous trip...so much to see, such beauty. One last tip, keep your tours to very small (5-10 ppl or less) and you will be able to see much more and learn a lot.  Def worth the extra money.

Sticking out as a tourist is pretty impossible to avoid.  Taking precautions not to be an easy target is about the best you can do. Kids with expensive cell phones in back pocket, having your purse easily accessible or open, husband’s wallet in pants pocket... all things to avoid. I don’t like the money belts around waist or over neck and under bra because they make me hotter/sweaty. I try and just bring a cc, id, travel insurance card, cell phone and cash needed for the day on my person in a little cross body small bag that zippers and I keep my hand on the zipper pull when in crowds or lines. I have husband use a smaller wallet than he normally does and have him put in a zipper pant or shorts pocket and have him bring a different cc just in case one of us is victim. I usually get euro as needed from a bank machine with my debit.  I stick with the deutsche bank bankomats just because my bank doesn’t charge on those.  

Standing in lines, crowds is cause to be extra careful.  Just by getting enough sleep and being present and alert to your surroundings is likely enough to avoid issues.  Pickpockets target the easiest victims so just by virtue of making yourself a harder target you reduce your odds. Upon flight arrival you’re likely carrying a good chunk of euro... I know I’ll be tired/jet lagged so taking a car service to hotel and from hotel to ship lessons the opportunity for pickpockets plus it’s so much easier.  I have my hotel lock up my valuables until departure. I send an email to myself with all important information needed.  I also take a picture of port information every day I get off ship in case for some reason I don’t make it back in time. 

Im a fan of capris.  They are very popular in Europe for men too.  Nice because they cover the knees and then your bare skin isn’t sticking to a hot seat, stone wall... and no worries about dress codes. Synthetic golf or sports shirts for men are are much easier in the heat, look smart and don’t wrinkle. I wear blouses that are loose. I don’t wear tank tops just because they expose more skin to sunburn.  Don’t go for fashion with shoes.  Go for comfort & safety ie no flip flops. I got these women’s Columbia freezer coil shirts at Costco for Disneyworld trip last week and they were great in the horrible heat and humidity. I wore those along with capris in wdw and was just as cool as shorts and a tank top and no sunscreen hassle. They sell for men too.

like another poster mentioned- spending extra for small group excursions is soo worth it.  It cuts the hassle and stress factor way down and you learn so much more. 

Have fun and drink lots of water! 

Oh and best to leave the Rolex and expensive jewelry at home.  Wedding ring fine. Jewelry I don’t bother with.  I have husband wear an inexpensive watch. They don’t want a cheap watch but if you’re wearing a Rolex they will try and target you. 

Edited by littlelulu01

The Med is usually warm to HOT in June. DH has worn shorts on all of our Med cruises, except for Rome day due to the Vatican. I rotated between shorts, capris, and sleeveless sun dresses. Personally, I found that dresses worked best; they actually felt coolest and most comfortable. On Rome day, I wore a maxi dress and tied my sweater around my shoulders for the Vatican visit. It was soooo hot! I recommend placing a light scarf around your shoulders for your Vatican visit. I never needed my sweater in port; it was only useful on the AC bus and on the ship. It can get chilly in the evenings at sea, so have some pants or leggings and a sweater.  

I highly recommend you not your with your backpack. If you have to, wear it on the front only. I use a crossbody purse abroad, and hold one end with my hand as we walk; it works well. I would not wear nice jewelry. Blend in as much as possible. Beware of distractions like someone asking if you dropped something or asking for your opinion on something; they’re usually working in a ring to pickpocket you. There are tons of pickpockets, so be vigilant, but at the same time, I feel very safe in Europe! 

Have fun! You’re going to my favorite region of the world!!

Thank you for all the responses.  One thing I love about NCL is that you don’t have to dress up so that’s less clothes I have to bring.  I know there is a laundry special for the passengers who board in Barcelona and they pick it up on Wednesday.  Since we board in Rome on Wednesday I am hoping that there is another laundry day special for us.