Car Rentals in Rome?

I would suggest really considering what you want to see before you decide on renting a car. Once you actually get into Rome from the port, it's quite easy to get around. However, the driving is absolutely crazy - the worst of any of the ports I was in. Even though our driver does tours daily, we still were caught in traffic jams, demonstrations etc and a few times had to leave the van, walk to where we wanted to go, and he caught up with us.

there's enough info on these boards on ships tours, private tours and do it yourself that i would probably recommend investigating these options first, unless you're not doing central Rome and want to do the surrounding area.

Frances

We travel to Rome a lot,and we have friends who go on a regular basis and they will not even rent a car anymore and especially to drive into and around Rome.Take the train in and as Keith said use public transportation and/or walk.You would never see all you wanted if your drove.

If you are planning to rent a car to tour Rome itself, I wouldn't recommend it. You can just walk and use the mass transporation. Traffic in Rome was heavy and chaotic at times.

Keith

Traffic is bad, parking is impossible. In many places, people double and triple park, you can be blocked in and not be able to get.

As the others say--forget driving in Rome, you would have to be a Grand Prix driver in a sherman tank to survive! In two days last november we saw 2 accidents that are unlikely to happen in other cities. Car rammed a police car at a red light--silly thing to do but that is how they drive. Other one two car lanes one way with single bus & taxi lane other way, car lanes blocked so guy pulls to go wrong way down bus lane, knocks over a woman looking to her right for buses etc. They do not respect pedestrian crossing either so watch out when you are walking, also likely to find scooters on sidewalks at speed! having said all that you can walk between most areas with short bus or metro rides in between walks. Enjoy.

Archived