Here is the Updated Suite Amenities List - "Let The Pampering Begin"

amygutman

18 minutes ago, amygutman said:

Oh my. 

Had to Google "RTFM".

Agree...buyer beware and all of that. 

Didn't mean to rile folks up - just wanted to be helpful and post a list of benefits that has a darned clear explanation written on it. Like with all things, there are exceptions to rules (which I think above posters have noted) - no intention to mislead or imply special treatment. 

As per another board posting about suites, I'm going to go sniff my stolen Haven shampoo bottle and calm myself down...😟

Amy

I had to google it too😂😂😂😂

On 6/1/2019 at 7:24 AM, amygutman said:

Hmmmm...interesting. 

We have the fridge emptied as well to fit the iced tea and almond milk, but our butler always leaves 2 cans of diet soda out for our son as a special treat (he is only allowed soda on Fridays and on cruises...parenting! 😌).

100% Agree that the contents of the fridge are definitely not free - and your butler clearly states this when you check in (and it's on the cruise information as well) but we have absolutely never been charged for soda in the room that has been left for our son - we also tend to "pre-tip" our butler to thank them in advance for our week ...this likely helps! Amy

Amy...SUPER helpful post...!  Thank you...!  We'll be in an OS on the Jewel in September, so nice to see this listing so far in advance.  (Have done OS several times before--and yes, the double balconies on this ship are awesome, too--but a couple of years ago...so was wondering whether options had changed...!) 

Two questions for you...

1.  We've always tipped the butler as we go along (we tip when he delivers meals via room service and then again at the end)...but have never tipped at the beginning.  How do you do that--like when you first meet him...?  The first time he brings you something...?  Do you do that in addition to tipping as you go, too...?  Or just once at the beginning and then at the end...? 

2.  Do you recall what mixers were available...? 

Thanks so much...! 🙂 

7 hours ago, Yo Adrienne said:

Amy...SUPER helpful post...!  Thank you...!  We'll be in an OS on the Jewel in September, so nice to see this listing so far in advance.  (Have done OS several times before--and yes, the double balconies on this ship are awesome, too--but a couple of years ago...so was wondering whether options had changed...!) 

Two questions for you...

1.  We've always tipped the butler as we go along (we tip when he delivers meals via room service and then again at the end)...but have never tipped at the beginning.  How do you do that--like when you first meet him...?  The first time he brings you something...?  Do you do that in addition to tipping as you go, too...?  Or just once at the beginning and then at the end...? 

2.  Do you recall what mixers were available...? 

Thanks so much...! 🙂 

The Jewel looks absolutely beautiful - I am sure you will have a great time. 

I really do not know what mixers are available, but I will email our pre-concierge and try and get a list. I will also take a photo when we get on board to post so you can see the actual choices. 

As for "pre-tipping"...this is a controversial topic that has riled many folks up on prior Boards. We have found that no matter where we stay - hotel, resort, cruise...a little "Hey...thank you so much in advance for helping us to have a great vacation" always helps. Our service on NCL - be it a balcony, suite or Haven has always been outstanding, but that is certainly not everyone's experience. 

For the concierge, butler and housekeeper, we usually give $50 in advance when we meet them - my hubby does the "guy money hand-shake" and usually says very directly "We appreciate you taking care of us this week". Maybe it helps...maybe it doesn't. In the grand scheme of what we spend on a cruise, it's not a huge amount. The benefits are enormous....extra treats, soda, special tours (we have been able to visit every galley on every ship - which is an amazing experience), last minute reservations,  extra bottle of wine delivered to the room, birthday and anniversary treats,"free" photos delivered to the room, and even a personal visit from Santa on a Christmas cruise for our son. 

There are many folks who absolutely would disagree with pre-tipping - they only tip at the end of the cruise, and only if they feel uber-satisfied. It's important to remember that butlers and concierges are not in the regular tip pool...what they receive from you is their entire tip for the week. No matter how good or bad your experience is,  you have an entire staff of workers - some you see, some you don't, who spend 10-14 hours a day for 8 months at a time working hard to make sure you have the time of your life. Spending a little extra to make sure it's a great week is certainly fine by us - and we have been lucky to have always had a positive experience!

Have a great time on the Jewel, and I will try and get you info on the mixers. 

Amy

11 hours ago, amygutman said:

The Jewel looks absolutely beautiful - I am sure you will have a great time. 

I really do not know what mixers are available, but I will email our pre-concierge and try and get a list. I will also take a photo when we get on board to post so you can see the actual choices. 

As for "pre-tipping"...this is a controversial topic that has riled many folks up on prior Boards. We have found that no matter where we stay - hotel, resort, cruise...a little "Hey...thank you so much in advance for helping us to have a great vacation" always helps. Our service on NCL - be it a balcony, suite or Haven has always been outstanding, but that is certainly not everyone's experience. 

For the concierge, butler and housekeeper, we usually give $50 in advance when we meet them - my hubby does the "guy money hand-shake" and usually says very directly "We appreciate you taking care of us this week". Maybe it helps...maybe it doesn't. In the grand scheme of what we spend on a cruise, it's not a huge amount. The benefits are enormous....extra treats, soda, special tours (we have been able to visit every galley on every ship - which is an amazing experience), last minute reservations,  extra bottle of wine delivered to the room, birthday and anniversary treats,"free" photos delivered to the room, and even a personal visit from Santa on a Christmas cruise for our son. 

There are many folks who absolutely would disagree with pre-tipping - they only tip at the end of the cruise, and only if they feel uber-satisfied. It's important to remember that butlers and concierges are not in the regular tip pool...what they receive from you is their entire tip for the week. No matter how good or bad your experience is,  you have an entire staff of workers - some you see, some you don't, who spend 10-14 hours a day for 8 months at a time working hard to make sure you have the time of your life. Spending a little extra to make sure it's a great week is certainly fine by us - and we have been lucky to have always had a positive experience!

Have a great time on the Jewel, and I will try and get you info on the mixers. 

Amy

Amy, this is SO helpful...all of your info...!  

We've been on the Jewel (in the OS) several times (and absolutely LOVED it), as well as the Pearl and Sun (OS on both)...and have always tipped throughout, as well as at the end.  (On one of our recent cruises, the butler was wonderful and it was a pleasure to tip him every time he did anything for us--as well as at the end.  On another cruise, the butler was "fine"...we tipped along the way with him, too, but he wasn't quite as good as we'd hoped...we did still tip at the end, too.)  

I've seen posts talking about the tipping at the beginning--yup sounds controversial--but it also sounds like it's worked well for you, so I really appreciate hearing your perspective...! 🙂 

As for your upcoming cruise...where are you headed...?  We're absolutely "addicted" to Alaskan cruising, so having the two balconies is wonderful for viewing glaciers and wildlife.  We also did an OS on the Jewel for a Baltic cruise...absolutely fabulous.  Plus the amount of space for the longer cruises is wonderful...! 

Will look forward to hearing/seeing anything you can share about your upcoming cruise...!  Safe travels and happy cruising...! 🙂 

It is customary to tip a butler at the end of the cruise.  Any good butler will view a tip before he has provided service as a bribe.  Tipping every time they do something for you may also be viewed as insulting.  One lump sum at the end of the cruise is more appropriate.  Same idea for the concierge.  

1 hour ago, gizfish said:

It is customary to tip a butler at the end of the cruise.  Any good butler will view a tip before he has provided service as a bribe.  Tipping every time they do something for you may also be viewed as insulting.  One lump sum at the end of the cruise is more appropriate.  Same idea for the concierge.  

I'm just curious (not trying to pick a fight) but what is your source?

I'm wondering has anyone asked the Butler or Concierge how they view it or is everyone just guessing?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Shoppie124 said:

I'm just curious (not trying to pick a fight) but what is your source?

I'm wondering has anyone asked the Butler or Concierge how they view it or is everyone just guessing?

That is just the accepted tipping etiquette in the situation.  Since tipping is something that is done after a service is provided, you wait until the service is over and then tip.  Since your butler will be your butler the whole cruise and will be doing things throughout the cruise, once that service is coming to an end is when you tip for that service having been acceptable, good, exceptional or whatever.  

3 hours ago, gizfish said:

That is just the accepted tipping etiquette in the situation.  Since tipping is something that is done after a service is provided, you wait until the service is over and then tip.  Since your butler will be your butler the whole cruise and will be doing things throughout the cruise, once that service is coming to an end is when you tip for that service having been acceptable, good, exceptional or whatever.  

Definitely a valid opinion - but I have to gently disagree with the concept of insulting via tipping.

There are very few folks who work on a cruise ship who aren't saving every dollar to send to their family or use to better themselves / their situations. We have gotten nothing but smiles and genuine appreciation for any tip we have given - be it at the beginning, middle or end of a cruise. 

Having had the same staff members of different ships actually remember us - my son's name, my specific drink quirks, and one awesome pool boy who we helped celebrate his promotion to assistant butler / engagement to his fiancee with an extra financial gift who then invited us to his wedding celebration (!!! would have been amazing BTW) - tipping isn't just good for the staff, it is good for the soul. We work hard, and are grateful for the gifts we have been given - in turn, we thank people for the gifts that they give us. 

Amy

• Like 2

20 hours ago, amygutman said:

Definitely a valid opinion - but I have to gently disagree with the concept of insulting via tipping.

There are very few folks who work on a cruise ship who aren't saving every dollar to send to their family or use to better themselves / their situations. We have gotten nothing but smiles and genuine appreciation for any tip we have given - be it at the beginning, middle or end of a cruise. 

Having had the same staff members of different ships actually remember us - my son's name, my specific drink quirks, and one awesome pool boy who we helped celebrate his promotion to assistant butler / engagement to his fiancee with an extra financial gift who then invited us to his wedding celebration (!!! would have been amazing BTW) - tipping isn't just good for the staff, it is good for the soul. We work hard, and are grateful for the gifts we have been given - in turn, we thank people for the gifts that they give us. 

Amy

I was not in any way saying one should not tip.  I feel tipping is so important.  These people are doing something I would not want to do, and they deserve to be tipped, especially when they do above and beyond the minimum.  I did not say tipping is insulting.  I said it can be looked at as insulting when one pays someone off before they have even performed a service that would result in a tip after the service is done.  It can be viewed as insulting because it implies that you think the person is not going to do a good enough job unless you bribe them before hand.  

3 hours ago, gizfish said:

I was not in any way saying one should not tip.  I feel tipping is so important.  These people are doing something I would not want to do, and they deserve to be tipped, especially when they do above and beyond the minimum.  I did not say tipping is insulting.  I said it can be looked at as insulting when one pays someone off before they have even performed a service that would result in a tip after the service is done.  It can be viewed as insulting because it implies that you think the person is not going to do a good enough job unless you bribe them before hand.  

Ah...makes sense and I agree, it's an interesting perspective. 

I still don't think of it as a bribe..more like a "pre-thank you", but I suppose it's semantics. You don't "pre-tip" a waiter (though as a former waitress living off of tips, I would have LOVED that 🤗).

Have a great afternoon! Amy

• Like 1