Sydney to San Francisco, Diamond Princess, April 2006

Piratical

Hi,

I am Aussie and new to this newsgroup but just thought I would drop a line. My husband and I are cruising from Sydney to San Francisco in April this year. We have only been able to get a cabin on Emerald Deck with an obstructed view and have been waitlisted for an upgrade to a balcony cabin. I note that several sites are advertising vacant cabins in the last few days. Has anyone had any luck in the past with gaining upgrades - we do realise we will be paying more but it is a long cruise so we figured it might be worth it? Just would like some reassurance that it might happen.

Has anyone sailed on Diamond Princess with a cabin with an obstructed view - note that we may also have lifts close by our cabin. What is the outside noise like. I am guessing the cabins will be soundproofed.

Would love to hear from anyone else who is booked on the same cruise.

Thanks for your help.

:)

Hi,

I am Aussie and new to this newsgroup but just thought I would drop a line. My husband and I are cruising from Sydney to San Francisco in April this year. We have only been able to get a cabin on Emerald Deck with an obstructed view and have been waitlisted for an upgrade to a balcony cabin. I note that several sites are advertising vacant cabins in the last few days. Has anyone had any luck in the past with gaining upgrades - we do realise we will be paying more but it is a long cruise so we figured it might be worth it? Just would like some reassurance that it might happen.

Has anyone sailed on Diamond Princess with a cabin with an obstructed view - note that we may also have lifts close by our cabin. What is the outside noise like. I am guessing the cabins will be soundproofed.

Would love to hear from anyone else who is booked on the same cruise.

Thanks for your help.

:)

Come join our roll call for this cruise. We have about 40 couples, including several aussies taking this cruise. Click on the link below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=65929

Tom and Lorraine

If you want to meet others who are on the same cruise as you..I would suggest that you take a look at the "roll calls" area of the cruisecritic board.

If you really want a balcony cabin I would suggest that you call your travel agent and see if they can get their hands on one of the "vacant" cabins.

..being close to the lifts is not a problem...you will not hear anything.

Enjoy your cruise!

We did LA to Sydney a couple of years ago, great cruise.

If sites are showing available balcony cabins I would grab one before they are gone. As you say, it is a long cruise and you will need some space to 'get-a-way' and a balcony is just perfect for that.

Upgrades are rare on this type of sailing as they usually sell out. I would not wait and take the chance of receiving one if I could pay the difference and be assured of getting what I want.

Although the cabins are not what I would call 'soundproof' I doubt you will get any noise from the lifts in the cabin you currently have booked.

Reference being close to elevators (lifts) - usually the only noise you will hear is the occasional drunk or group of people who forget to lower their voices.

In very heavy seas, you might hear more! On our trans-Atlantic on Golden Princess, 8-02, West of the Azores, we hit two large storms - and we could hear the forward elevator cars banging about in the shafts as the ship was fighting for headway. On that trip we had bow-slap spray raining down on our balcony on Caribe Deck (deck #10), and several windows along Prom Deck shattered due to the ship's flexing and bouncing.

We did a San Francisco to Sydney trip 9-00 on the old Sky Princess (now Pacific Sky), and it was great - with smooth seas all the way, including the Tasman Sea which has a reputation for getting rough on occasion.

Hi there,

We have emailed you from the CC roll call group on this cruise!

My Dad was on Emerald in an obstructed rear outside cabin on our last cruise, it was very nice, with a large picture window..he really enjoyed it.

See you over on the Diamond Dusts roll call page!

S&D

BAB00012.gif.6e60b06a1901982e407c51f14d73973b.gif

Archived