Digital photo package, photo resolution

We're going on a cruise later this month on Symphony of the Seas and we're interested in purchasing the all digital photo package. Do you have any ideas what the resolution of the photos are? Can they be used for larger prints? Say 12x16 or 16x20?

I just downloaded our digital photo and it's 2400x3000 and 300 dpi.

However, that includes the border that was slapped on the photo (it was taken at Coco Cay) so the actual photo is considerably smaller. Cropping out the border brings it down to 1759x2343 (I did it really quickly) and part of the border overlaps the photo itself, which makes the cropping look weirder.

You won't get 12x16 out of it, sorry to say.

1 hour ago, alevyinroc said:

I just downloaded our digital photo and it's 2400x3000 and 300 dpi.

However, that includes the border that was slapped on the photo (it was taken at Coco Cay) so the actual photo is considerably smaller. Cropping out the border brings it down to 1759x2343 (I did it really quickly) and part of the border overlaps the photo itself, which makes the cropping look weirder.

You won't get 12x16 out of it, sorry to say.

Oh, interesting - do all images have a border / are their effective sizes truly smaller than 2400x3000? Or does it depend on the image?

Unless it's changed since I cruised last year, the borders vary a lot. If you get evening photos with the special backgrounds, basically family portrait type shots (e.g.: on formal night), you don't get the big border. Prints tend to be 8x10.

When you're getting off the ship in port, and they take shots of you with the ship, island, a life preserver or whatever, then there may be a big border announcing the name of the island, perhaps with some imagery in the border around your shot. Print likely to be around 5x7 IIRC.

So if you're hoping for tasteful family photos, yes, I think you'll be pleased. Get the 'all your digital photos package' and go after every photo station you see. You can rule up a whole lot of photos by end of cruise.

• 2 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:14 PM, drrich2 said:

So if you're hoping for tasteful family photos, yes, I think you'll be pleased. Get the 'all your digital photos package' and go after every photo station you see. You can rule up a whole lot of photos by end of cruise.

Yep, this is what we do. We had some fellow cruisers who racked up over 200 photos on one cruise, but they spent a lot of time doing this. They enjoyed it though. We usually end up with 100 or so, and it doesn't take that much time.

Our Allure cruise ended 8-4-19; one of the digital file versions of what would probably be an 8x10 type portrait shot (also bought the prints but don't want to dig through the pile) is loaded into Apple Photos shows a resolution of 2400 x 3000 and a JPEG file size of 2.8 megabytes.

I think went to one of the 'port shot' pics the photographers take when you get off the ship, in this case of our little girl beside an old style ship steering wheel (whatever they call that) in Labadee, that in the past I think were used to make the 5x7 prints? It, too, shows resolution 2400 x 3000 and a JPEG file size of 2.9 megabytes this time. 

I use these photos, amongst others, in an annual Blurb 'family book,' the large landscape 11 x 13 inch format. If I try to have one of these pics fill the entire page, Blurb warns me the resolution is too low and recommends a fix. I let Blurb do an auto-fix; it shrinks it down a bit, but not a whole lot. 

Just in case any of that is helpful. 

Richard.