Currently on the Armonia - Captain just announced we will not be docking in Havana 😢

travelingtink

If you want to think about how much of a mess this has to be at management, realize the Opera is basically "arrested" and under investigation, so you not only have a ton of lawyers dealing with the Italian CG and port, but not real idea of when the ship will be back underway...it's up to the CG and investigators....literally day-to-day....no idea when to fully provision or do any real planning

Then you have this wild pitch from the USA that throws any Cuban itinerary into a tail spin, and "finding a port" I am sure isn't easy when not an emergency...you have staffing, security, space, pilots, and overall general timing with in-port, outbound and inbound scheduling....you can't just "show up" with a cruise ship, pull up and say "we're here!"

Like I said, MSC offices have to be madhouses right now with people running around like their hair is on fire

• Like 7

2 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

If you go back to the full release from yesterday, it says (paraphrased) "Cruises, private boats, etc, must cease ASAP"

Something like that

This is the notice I read which said some were "grandfather"

In accordance with the newly announced changes to non-family travel to Cuba, OFAC is amending the regulations to remove the authorization for group people-to-people educational travel.  OFAC’s regulatory changes include a “grandfathering” provision, which provides that certain group people-to-people educational travel that previously was authorized will continue to be authorized where the traveler had already completed at least one travel-related transaction (such as purchasing a flight or reserving accommodation) prior to June 5, 2019. Please note that travel-related transactions continue to be permitted by general licenses for certain categories of travel and certain authorized export transactions.  For more on authorized travel to Cuba, please click here

2 minutes ago, travelingtink said:

Looks like MSC is giving everyone $200 plus of you had booked one of their excursions you get another $100 if I’m reading this correctly. Admittedly I’ve had a lot of rum to offset the sadness lol.

C41B9157-22C2-4FFC-8E69-BD1BF25D8A08.jpeg

Yep. That's what it says. I hope we all get offered that.  Actually,  I'd prefer 50 pp. As some ppl in same cabin have separate accounts.

14 minutes ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Exactly 

This is ridiculous.  $200 for the four of us, credit only? RCL is giving 50% per guest REFUND on all remaining 2019 sailings as I read it...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RumRunning said:

Apparently Norwegian is also offering a 50% refund on all current sailings and a 50% credit on future bookings. 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/20964-norwegian-sets-cuba-refund-policies.html

Yep... I generally sail NCL, RCCL, or Celebrity.... should have stuck with them. I doubt MSC is gonna offer anything close to those.

I spoke to MSC regarding our cruise on 17th June out of Miami which we have booked as a two week back to back and although they don't have alternate ports yet the lady on the phone told me they will be offering no refunds, no compensation and no on board credit for future sailings.

To be fair she really sounded like sh could not be bothered with me and maybe she just didn't know so was running with that but i really do hope we get something. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jayhawk said:

This is ridiculous.  $200 for the four of us, credit only? RCL is giving 50% per guest REFUND on all remaining 2019 sailings as I read it...

Maybe you need to write to Trump and ask him to refund it!  His decision has caused the crap storm not MSC!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sidari said:

Maybe you need to write to Trump and ask him to refund it!  His decision has caused the crap storm not MSC!

Tell that to all the other lines who are doing their best to keep people happy and keep customers. Looks like MSC doesn't care. That's fine. A lot of us first timers will be only timers. It makes MSC look real bad if they do nothing when everyone else us doing something. 

1 hour ago, abbeytravelstheworld said:

I spoke to MSC regarding our cruise on 17th June out of Miami which we have booked as a two week back to back and although they don't have alternate ports yet the lady on the phone told me they will be offering no refunds, no compensation and no on board credit for future sailings.

To be fair she really sounded like sh could not be bothered with me and maybe she just didn't know so was running with that but i really do hope we get something. 

Let us know when you hear something. I imagine they will inform ppl in order of sailings.

3 minutes ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Tell that to all the other lines who are doing their best to keep people happy and keep customers. Looks like MSC doesn't care. That's fine. A lot of us first timers will be only timers. It makes MSC look real bad if they do nothing when everyone else us doing something. 

Why should the cruise lines pay out for a decision that is beyond them and brought on at short notice by a Third party. The cruise lines and passengers have had this forced on them by the US government who should be the ones putting their hands in their pockets.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, sidari said:

Why should the cruise lines pay out for a decision that is beyond them and brought on at short notice by a Third party. The cruise lines and passengers have had this forced on them by the US government who should be the ones putting their hands in their pockets.

Agreed but customer satisfaction is real.  They know this because they have a matching status program to increase business.  If folks have paid to go on the oldest and one of the smallest ships in their fleet with many coming from overseas for the sole purpose of visiting Cuba and it doesn't happen, there is extreme dissapointment.  A significant percentage would they cancel if they could.  Most importantly, as some have said on this board, if they come back with a couple of hundred dollars credit per cabin compared to what RCI or NCL are offering, chances are many will not return.

• Like 2

Why should MSC pay ANY compensation because a port is cancelled, in this case almost an Act of God.

Cruise lines do not care about customer satisfaction, they know they can fill their ships no matter what happens, thats why the are getting bigger with a greater passenger load.

The cancelled cruises to Cuba are just a small percentage of the world wide MSC operation.

10 minutes ago, hankerka said:

Agreed but customer satisfaction is real.  They know this because they have a matching status program to increase business.  If folks have paid to go on the oldest and one of the smallest ships in their fleet with many coming from overseas for the sole purpose of visiting Cuba and it doesn't happen, there is extreme dissapointment.  A significant percentage would they cancel if they could.  Most importantly, as some have said on this board, if they come back with a couple of hundred dollars credit per cabin compared to what RCI or NCL are offering, chances are many will not return.

Don't argue with him. He doesn't understand basic economics of supply and demand. My 5 yr olds have better sense.

I have to say, I have not been that impressed with MSC so far. I've been on over 20 cruises with NCL, Carnival, Disney, Celebrity, HAL, Princess and RCCL. MSC has the worst customer service out of all of them. Already leaning towards not sailing again... so whatever  they decide plus the cruise will make it or break it.

This is hardly any different than your cruise to Havana being diverted because of a hurricane.

That isn't MSC's fault and you're entitled to pretty much, nothing!

It's an Act of God

This really is a "something is better than nothing" situation.

They COULD give you a full refund and 50% off on your re-book. They could also give you a unicorn that poops rainbow soft-serve ice cream.

Here's a FACT, MSC hasn't announced a policy for re-booking yet, only what they're doing for a ship at sea caught in this storm....

Hurricane Trump

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Don't argue with him. He doesn't understand basic economics of supply and demand. My 5 yr olds have better sense.

I have to say, I have not been that impressed with MSC so far. I've been on over 20 cruises with NCL, Carnival, Disney, Celebrity, HAL, Princess and RCCL. MSC has the worst customer service out of all of them. Already leaning towards not sailing again... so whatever  they decide plus the cruise will make it or break it.

But I do understand that entitlement belief by some does not always mean you will get it!