FJORDS

griffster

Yes, Norwegian Krone.

The ships reception will change for you and add it to your on board account, not the best exchange rate, but does the job.

Cash points are readily available and everywhere except the toilets takes card.

As I'm sure you know, Norway is very expensive, so eat well on the ship before and after.

Have a fantastic time and pack for all weathers.

Andy

16 hours ago, griffster said:

HI DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ONE CAN USE CASH IN THE FJORDS. WE GO THIS SATURDAY ON BRITTANIA?

I spent a week in the fjords and didnt use cash once. Everywhere takes cards in fact cards are prefered. No point changing money for a poor exchange rate and risk having some left that will be useless.

I will agree though Norway is very very expensive so eat and drink well on the ship.

Edited by clarkttopcat

Hi, 

We are on the Norway cruise going this Saturday. My brother lives in Norway and he has told us that it is a cashless society and everywhere prefers you to pay by card. But you will need some change for the public toilets.

Em

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Jersey Emma said:

Hi, 

We are on the Norway cruise going this Saturday. My brother lives in Norway and he has told us that it is a cashless society and everywhere prefers you to pay by card. But you will need some change for the public toilets.

Em

Except the public toilets next to the Tourist Office in Bergen - cards only!!!

2 hours ago, SquishTheWhale said:

Also interested in this. So really we only need a very minimal amount of cash? Will even things like buses take card?

Yes, we took about £50 worth of NoK on our last trip (left over from the trip before!) and still gave most of it forbour next cruisevto Norway next month.  We use a Halifax Clarity card for virtually everything.  

In Tromso we caught the local bus up to the cable car and bought our tickets from a machine adjacent to the bus stop using our card.  There wasn't a machine at the bus stop by the Arctic Cathedral for our return so we did have to pay the driver - in cash.  It cost almost twice as much!  But on the whole, CC are widely used in cafes, for the cable car, HoHo, even the church admission and museum entrance fees etc.  We came back with almost as much cash as we took.  I don't intend to supplement that for next time.

Edited by kruzseeka

If anyone does go completely cashless then check what your card provider charges as some charge by individual transaction rather than by currency exchange. The rates can be steep if you are per transaction and use the card for several small purchases.

You also get the tax back in Norway, usually at the last port, for items costing over a certain amount. We have bought several more expensive items like Dale jumpers and got the tax back in cash if they come onto the ship or later via card by sending off the tax claim form which the shops usually provide with bigger purchases. Helpful lot the Norwegians.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

If anyone does go completely cashless then check what your card provider charges as some charge by individual transaction rather than by currency exchange. The rates can be steep if you are per transaction and use the card for several small purchases.

You also get the tax back in Norway, usually at the last port, for items costing over a certain amount. We have bought several more expensive items like Dale jumpers and got the tax back in cash if they come onto the ship or later via card by sending off the tax claim form which the shops usually provide with bigger purchases. Helpful lot the Norwegians.

Lots of fee free credits cards out there that wont charge you a penny in fees. I got a great exchange rate on mine with zero fees.

From memory the tax can be claimed back after around £60. You filled out a form and presented to reception on the second to last day of cruise.

8 minutes ago, clarkttopcat said:

Lots of fee free credits cards out there that wont charge you a penny in fees. I got a great exchange rate on mine with zero fees.

From memory the tax can be claimed back after around £60. You filled out a form and presented to reception on the second to last day of cruise.

There are some that are free but some high street banks charge £1 for every transaction which is why people need to check.