One week to go until our first cruise

schattenfell71

Hi again,

it is only one week to go until our first cruise and we are counting the days until leaving.

I will post some questions over the week until leaving here and hope that you can help me with your experience.

Our first harbour will be Zeebrugge and we want to see Brugge. The Cunard shore excursion will be a bus transfer and then a 20 minute walk into the city. It will cost us $128.

I have seen that there are privat shuttles available to book from the harbour to the city of Brugge. I have contact one of them and they would bring is to the city and back for 100 Euros.

I do not know what to do. Going with Cunard for a little bit more and I know what do expect or using the privat transfer and hope that the driver will there on time.

What would you do or what are your´re experience at Zeebrugge.

Sorry for my horrible English!

Edited by schattenfell71

I would say you are leaving this quite late but would look at alternatives to Cunard. Check out your roll call and see if any one is interested in sharing mini bus transfer to Bruges. We did same last year for a fraction of the ship transfer - mini bus pick up at terminal and drop off practically centre as smaller buses have access to central areas. Otherwise look at options for small group transfer.

You DO NOT want to take the Cunard excursion.

There are registered taxis right outside the gates. The charge is regulated by the government. 50€ (one way) per vehicle. The same fixed price for sedans and minivans, no matter how many passengers.
You can arrange in advance or at the port. (It's either a very short walk to the gate or they run a free shuttle, I forget). WIthout exception, the cars are all recent model and kept spotless by the owners/drivers.

Another KEY difference is that the Cunard buses must drop off at a parking lot about a 20 minute walk (on cobblestones) from the city center, whereas taxis can take you right there. Assuming you want to also do a return, the driver will tell you where and when he'll meet you for the pickup and give you his phone number.

Unfortunately, Cunard will tell you nothing about this alternative.

• Like 1

Thanks for your help.

I will preorder the privat transfer but when can I leave the ship and have to come back?

The Cunard excursion will begin at 9.00 am so I guess this will be the time for me too. I guess the ship will leave at 5.00 pm so going back at 3.30 or 4 pm would be ok. Am I right?

If the ship leaves at 5:00, all-aboard should be 4:00.

I checked my notes and we chose a pickup at 11:00. (I figured why not have a chance for breakfast on the ship, and no need to get to the city before everything's open) You may want to choose earlier.

We had a pickup at 3:00. You may want to ask the driver what time they recommend.

It looks like you have your trip arranged. In case anyone else needs a resource, I just checked my notes. Following advice from a CC forum, we contacted Rony of Rony's Taxis - rony@ronystaxis.com. I can highly recommend him.

Hi,

We have done this trip many times and always book a private taxi to take us. They will drop you off at the big square in the centre of Brugge, which is the perfect place to start your day. They will pick you up from there as well. We have never had a problem with cars not turning up at either end, and the drivers are always very helpful. 

The train is probably your cheapest option, if that is a consideration for you. However, the station at Brugge is also a good walk from the centre. I'm my mind that is time wasted at both ends of the day. That could be better used in chocolate shops etc!!

If you like waffles try Lizzies waffles which is not far from the central square. It is only small so you might have to queue but the waffles are massive and the hot chocolate is superb.

Have a lovely cruise.

Hello,

I think this or a similar question has come up in relation to both Zeebrugge and Bruges recently. 

I last went to Belgium with Cunard in December.

In short:

- there was a shuttle bus from the ship (QE) to Blankenberge which doesn’t take long. We were dropped across the street from the train station.

- trains to Bruges weren’t particularly frequent (every hour or so?). Buses left from the ship when full so it was difficult to predict an exact arrival time. I’d suggest checking and printing (or saving on your phone) the train timetable before you leave home. 

- if you have time to kill, Blankenberge town centre is ok. There is a long sandy beach with views out to the North Sea and a busy marina. If the weather isn’t great, there are two nice churches and various shops (albeit more discount/budget type). 

- I took the Cunard trip but only because it was paid for using an Amex offer and was virtually free for the two of us.

- If you do decide to take a coach trip with Cunard, it does arrive slightly out of town but I think that is mandatory for all coaches. It is not a particularly long walk to the main square and there is quite a lot to see along the way. Happy to share a few pics from the walk if you’d like to see them. 

I hope that helps. 

I have booked us a privare transfer to Brugge and back and I hope that everything will be ok.

By the way: The Cunard excursions for the other port (St.Peters Port) are online fully booked.

But I plan to go there by myself anyway.

Any tips for doing it?

Another question: We will be at the port in Hamburg at 12 am but our boarding time will be 3 pm. I gues that means that we can "check-in" ony at 3 pm. Am I right?

Any tips for getting an upgrade?

Edited by schattenfell71