Hawaii reef safe sunscreen

Jetswdo

For those of you who sun burns easily (like me- fair skin) can any one recommend what reef safe sunscreen to purchase, that is water resistant (for snorkeling) ?

I have read that unfortunately the reef safe ones do not protect the skin as well as the usual sunscreens, so I am trying to figure out which product that is acceptable in Hawaii, will be the best that I can do for my skin. Thanks, Anita

I don't have an answer, but I want to commend you for doing right by the oceans!  We were in Hawaii 32 years ago, and again 2 years ago, and there is a dramatic drop in the fish you can see on snorkeling trips.  I was so sad to see this decline in just our lifetime.  Sunscreen use isn't the whole problem, but it is part of it.

Most sunscreens mention it on the bottle. Sun bum is reef safe. I was really surprised to find that Aldis sunscreen is this year. Also I've seen Alba listed a reef safe. 

I believe it's just oxybenzone and octinoxate that's banned, but it's hard to remember that when other o ingredients are still ok. 

What a great question, and you've already received a couple of good answers, so let me add something that doesn't answer your question --  In addition to suns screen, 'Rash guards' can be really effective for snorkeling since they cover the arms and shoulders.  Although they are more expensive than sun screen the shirts can be worn around town and on board ship.  They are making them better all the time.

Aloha... you can buy it once you get to Hawaii. Our ABC stores carry a vast array of reef safe sunscreens, as does Target, Wal-Mart, and Costco. You will also find that most of the snorkel boats provide sunscreen on board that is reef safe. 

I'm very fair skinned and haven't found it hard to find one that works...most of them are mineral based (e.g., titanium dioxide) and are just impossible to fully rub in, so I've gotten used to being a little bit powdery white. 

Pro tip: in the water here, you will see that most locals wear a rash guard, which offers sun protection and lets you avoid having to completely cover your body with sunscreen. You can pick them up in the same stores. 

4 hours ago, travelmatron said:

What a great question, and you've already received a couple of good answers, so let me add something that doesn't answer your question --  In addition to suns screen, 'Rash guards' can be really effective for snorkeling since they cover the arms and shoulders.  Although they are more expensive than sun screen the shirts can be worn around town and on board ship.  They are making them better all the time.

I was about to post this.

I bought a rash guard before my first cruise and wore it while on an all-day speedboat excursion. Surprisingly, I did not get burned at all! No need to slather greasy lotion all over myself. 😄

Another vote for rash shirts - I now wear a bikini top with a rash shirt over top and even went to wearing skirted swim leggings.    I really don't like slathering sunscreen all over myself yet I am very fair as well and don't want to burn.   I find them very comfortable - you don't feel like you're baking in the sun.      I don't think this is much of an issue in Hawaii but rash shirts and leggings also protect against jellyfish stings which was a problem when snorkeling in Costa Rica.

Wow!  Thanks for all the responses.  I do wear rash guards as we do a lot of snorkeling on these cruises. My face, bottom of my feet, neck, and around my armpits-- during the times when exposed to the water and the sun- That's where I need to be careful. Skin is very sensitive to everything. I finally ended up purchasing from Amazon (unfortunately very expensive- so will just use for these kind of trips) Kokua Hawaiian Reef Safe  SPF 50--  natural zink sunscreen-- after extensive research- had the least complaints of sunburn from fair skinned persons like me.

Hopefully I won't have problems with it.  So far my only problem with it is the price!  Any way, thanks for the wonderful responses.