WiFi Plans, AT&T Day Pass, Cruise Package.....I'm confused!

Mom and I are sailing on Anthem on 6/15. I purchased Voom for 2 devices. I was looking on AT&T's website for the Day Pass when we are in Bermuda, but then saw a cruise package. I am confused as to what we need. I don't plan on making any calls, but I do have to have access to emails and texts, because I am in the middle of selling my house. What is the best configuration of all of these options? And I apologize in advance if this thread is posted somewhere! :>)

1 minute ago, staceyv64 said:

Mom and I are sailing on Anthem on 6/15. I purchased Voom for 2 devices. I was looking on AT&T's website for the Day Pass when we are in Bermuda, but then saw a cruise package. I am confused as to what we need. I don't plan on making any calls, but I do have to have access to emails and texts, because I am in the middle of selling my house. What is the best configuration of all of these options? And I apologize in advance if this thread is posted somewhere! :>)

If you want data (email) while at sea, then you are better off with VOOM than with AT&T data at sea.  AT&T data at sea is slow and expensive.

iPhone to iPhone, Messenger uses data, but if you want a more platform-independent texting option that uses data rather than cellular, I believe WhatsApp fills the bill. I've got it on my phone & desktop computer for that reason, when either my boss or I travel and we might need to reach each other. 

Richard.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

If you want data (email) while at sea, then you are better off with VOOM than with AT&T data at sea.  AT&T data at sea is slow and expensive.

And if you have Voom you can use wifi calling for phone calls and texts for no charge. You just need to turn it on before you leave home. I didn't need it but it was nice to know that I could be easily contacted if there was a problem at home.

2 hours ago, staceyv64 said:

I was looking on AT&T's website for the Day Pass when we are in Bermuda, 

Everyone covered what to do on the ship but if you need coverage while ashore you’ll need to talk to AT&T about what is specifically available in Bermuda - sounds like the day pass might be it but talking to someone may yield other options. 

Definitely use Voom while on the ship. The small amount of data AT&T provides for the super high cost isn't worth it. You'll blow through it very quickly. For $100 you only get 200MB of data.

The $10 day pass option with AT&T is the best deal for service while in Bermuda. No roaming fees outside of the $10 per day, it just deducts data/talk/text from whatever your main plan is. You have to call AT&T in advance though and make sure it is active on your account.

2 minutes ago, nws2002 said:

You have to call AT&T in advance though and make sure it is active on your account.

Actually, that can be done online. No need to call and IMHO it is better to do online than to rely on an agent. 

2 minutes ago, staceyv64 said:

This is great information, thank you all! One more question- what settings should we put our phones on, both on the ship and in Bermuda? Thanks again and Happy Monday!

When you are on the ship, turn airplane mode on then turn wifi on, when you are away from the ship in Bermuda turn airplane mode off, make sure you turn airplane mode back on BEFORE you get on the ship, the ship NORMALLY turns it's cell tower off before getting to land, but if they mistakenly leave it on it will be costly, if you dont turn airplane mode on before getting on the ship. Also make sure you set up wifi calling before leaving home

• Like 1

1 hour ago, staceyv64 said:

This is great information, thank you all! One more question- what settings should we put our phones on, both on the ship and in Bermuda? Thanks again and Happy Monday!

1 hour ago, uksimonusa said:

When you are on the ship, turn airplane mode on then turn wifi on, when you are away from the ship in Bermuda turn airplane mode off, make sure you turn airplane mode back on BEFORE you get on the ship, the ship NORMALLY turns it's cell tower off before getting to land, but if they mistakenly leave it on it will be costly, if you dont turn airplane mode on before getting on the ship. Also make sure you set up wifi calling before leaving home

At the very least, make sure data roaming is off and only turn it on when you want to use cellular data. Data roaming off will prevent any accidental data usage. It’s mainly data usage that causes those big bills.

• Like 1