Azura April 2020 Refit

Orianababes

Hello All

i have been looking to find out what is being “refitted” in the 2020 refit. There are a number of threads about the need to change cruise dates due to the moving of the refit date but these don’t give much detail about that refit.

Has anyone heard fact or gossip about what is being done to the ship?

Good question.

I tried to get the answer to that recently from someone at P&O who I thought might know, but she had no idea.

We first cruised on Azura years ago, before the last refit, but I have to say that the last refit achieved little, if anything, for the suites.

With two cruises still booked on Azura, post-refit, I hope they do a comprehensive job of it. The recent experience, at least so far as the accommodation was concerned, wasn’t positive.

6 hours ago, Orianababes said:

Hello All

i have been looking to find out what is being “refitted” in the 2020 refit. There are a number of threads about the need to change cruise dates due to the moving of the refit date but these don’t give much detail about that refit.

Has anyone heard fact or gossip about what is being done to the ship?

The refit is now straight after the March Transatlantic,I have not heard what work is being done.

Refits are mostly concerned with the mechanical parts of the ship and repainting the hull etc. They have to be done and sometimes the passenger areas/cabins get attention, but nothing that would not be cost effective.

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Refits are mostly concerned with the mechanical parts of the ship and repainting the hull etc. They have to be done and sometimes the passenger areas/cabins get attention, but nothing that would not be cost effective.

Azura will be 10 years old next year and like a land hotel will be looking a bit shabby by now, so hopefully P&O will be planning a full spruce up with new carpets and soft furnishing everywhere, and all new bigger TVs where you can actually read the rolling news bar from the bed, and no longer have to stand in front of them.

18 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Interesting.  But if that means that the furnishings, showers and plumbing aren't renewed - as they would be in an hotel after that level of usage - it doesn't bode well.  The suite we had was in a very tired state a few weeks back - uncomfortable saggy sofa etc, shower that refused point blank to drain, flickering lights that couldn't be fixed, and a sort of 'off' smell in the bathroom.

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Interesting.  But if that means that the furnishings, showers and plumbing aren't renewed - as they would be in an hotel after that level of usage - it doesn't bode well.  The suite we had was in a very tired state a few weeks back - uncomfortable saggy sofa etc, shower that refused point blank to drain, flickering lights that couldn't be fixed, and a sort of 'off' smell in the bathroom.

furnishing, plumbing etc is renewed if it needs to be but extensive changes to public rooms would have to be justified on economic grounds. I think us passengers tend to think a refit is a redecoration when the main emphasis is usually the mechanical aspects of the ship.

An example of a complete refit/refurb is the Celebrity Galaxy moving to TUI cruises in 2009 where apparently 50 million euros was spent on facilities and the cabins to suit the German Market. When it moved to Marella cruises last year more millions were spent on alterations to make it more suitable for the British market.

It is not a moan but a worry. I hope they don't try and convert the Glasshouse into a restaurant. The venue on Azura and Ventura is IMO a highlight of the ship. The version on Aurora is not as good and IMO the one on Britannia is poor.

We are on Azura on the 19th April so I would imagine that is possibly the first cruise after the refit. It would be nice if the cabins and public areas are refreshed but nothing we can do if they are not.

On 6/10/2019 at 4:38 PM, Harry Peterson said:

With two cruises still booked on Azura, post-refit, I hope they do a comprehensive job of it. The recent experience, at least so far as the accommodation was concerned, wasn’t positive.

At least you have the consolation of not coming across our old friend Docco because he said he had cancelled three future cruises and would take his custom elsewhere. Maybe you have the cabin he cancelled.

14 minutes ago, pete14 said:

At least you have the consolation of not coming across our old friend Docco because he said he had cancelled three future cruises and would take his custom elsewhere. Maybe you have the cabin he cancelled.

🤣🤣

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Danamis said:

We are on Azura on the 19th April so I would imagine that is possibly the first cruise after the refit. It would be nice if the cabins and public areas are refreshed but nothing we can do if they are not.

As you say, nothing you can do. Refits cost a vast sum though, and I'd hope they'd do a decent job of it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the refit will happen between 3rd April and 19th April 2020. Just back off a Baltic cruise and there were parts of the ship that looked tired i.e carpet in room and buffet but no major issues. Might look for a Med cruise after the refit. I like Ventura and Azura.

• 2 months later...

We are on April 19th cruise as well. Our first P and  O cruise on Azura was in April 2015 right after a refit. The carpet in the cabin was grubby so no replacement there. Also there were lots of buckets around the ship catching water from leaks. I hope this cruise will not be a repeat. This will be our 5th time on Azura.

• 1 month later...

I was on Azura in June for a Baltic cruise, our cabin was actually fine, and the planet bar looked good too. The ' Clifton ' shop had been added. No idea what will happen, don't bank on new tv's !!!!!!!! or bathrooms either, that would be impossible in the 2 week re fit turnaround. ( Britannia come out of her first  this weekend !!!! ) Note too that for 2021 Azura works out of weeks about - Malta on the fly cruise - instead of Oceana.