Monaco to Nice via bus or train

mickeyfanz

We will be in Monaco from 8am-5pm and would like to visit Nice in the morning and come back to Monaco in the afternoon. We have 9 people (4 senior citizens) so I am trying to keep the amount of walking/stair climbing to a minimum. I would prefer to take public transportation, either bus or train, to Nice.

Which mode of transportation would be easiest getting to with our group? I know the bus ride is longer than the train but if the time it takes to get to the station is much less, than maybe it would be the better way to go. Anybody know which is less painful to get to from the port?

I was thinking of staying in Nice through lunch with the idea that maybe food is cheaper there than in Monaco?

Thanks for any tips!

Both Monte Carlo and Nice are cities best explored on foot.  Using either the train or the #100 bus will involve substantial walking so if these folks have mobility limitations the group might want to consider hiring a private guide/driver.

You do not say the starting point so I will assume you are talking about a cruise ship that docks in Monte Carlo.  From the pier, the bus stop is a lot closer then the train station.  And the bus stops in Nice may or may not be more convenient then the train station depending on where you plan to go in the city.   But for me, if going to Nice in the morning my top place to start is the Flower Market.  This is not anywhere near the train station and a pretty long walk from the nearest bus stop.   As to lunch, it is not a matter of where the food is cheaper as there are plenty of eating options (in all price ranges) in both Nice and Monte Carlo.  You would have access to everything from street food (at the Flower Market) to Michelin Starred restaurants (in both cities).  

Hank

On 6/10/2019 at 1:33 PM, mickeyfanz said:

I was thinking of staying in Nice through lunch with the idea that maybe food is cheaper there than in Monaco?

In France and Monaco, all restaurants post their menus outside the door.  Since most of them also have sidewalk tables, you can take a look at what people are eating and how popular it is.  Most importantly, just about every restaurant has a blackboard saying what the "plat du jour" or daily special is.  That would be your best value and, probably, best meal.  There are also a number of food stalls in the Flower Market. 

I second the suggestion of getting a private driver.  Arrange for transportation and pick up only.  You do not need a guide in Nice.  While you are there you can also ride the tourist "petit train" which takes you all around the old town and up to the "castle" gardens to admire the wonderful views.  

For the private driver I recommend friend-in-france.com.  Email them for a price quote. 

https://www.friend-in-france.com/

For the "petit train," look at this:

https://www.seenice.com/activities/guides/les-trains-touristiques-de-nice-676156

You do NOT need to buy tickets ahead of time.