Early saver - price drop on higher category but my category is sold out!

2011mom

I am cruising on the Sunrise in November.  We have a spa balcony on the Panorama deck, cat 8P. There are no other cabins for 4 that are available on this deck.  However, there are some available on the Spa deck, 8S, and the price has dropped so that those are significantly cheaper than what I am paying for my 8P.  I prefer the Panorama deck because the balcony is covered, so you can sit on your balcony in the shade.

Is it ever possible to price match to a slightly higher category?  And, on a related note, what do people think about those uncovered balconies?

Thanks!

You have to price match to the same category with the same number of guests.

You can possibly upgrade to a higher category, but check with your TA or Carnival to be sure.

Personally I wouldn't want the uncovered balcony, but that's a matter of taste/choice.

Happy sailing.

I just ‘upgraded’ from a lido deck balcony to a spa balcony for a price drop! I called Carnival and they did approve the upgrade even though it was a LESSER  price for the higher category cabin.    The person I talked to just needed to put me on hold for a few minutes to get approval from her superior as I was actually going to be paying less money for the upgrade!  I was already paid in full, so the price difference shows as OBC.  I may have just gotten lucky, but I am very happy to be paying less money and gaining spa perks.  

I will say it can not hurt to call Carnival or your TA and ask!

For those who say it isn't possible, my 2020 Legend cruise no longer offers 2 people aft balconies, but you can book them for 3 or 4 people. 

Well... the 3 person rate dropped below my 2 person rate! I wanted the same room I had because like you, it was a balcony issue and I wanted the non-slopped balcony on 4. My TA got us an almost $600 price drop on the cruise. No room change, no booking change, just a loss of the $50 OBC that Carnival was offering when we booked. 

I did go in with a  backup plan of adding my DS onto the booking and just having him be a no show if it came down to it, but happily didn't have to deal with all of that. In truth if I would have asked here first, I would have been told "Nope it has to match exactly" which... really isn't the case. So call and see! 

• Like 1

A few years ago (inference:  might be different now), I had a 6K on the Glory (huge corner front-facing cabin with floor-to-ceiling windows), and they were sold out (there are only 2 on the ship).  When balconies dropped to $250 lower than what I paid, I called and "moved" to a balcony cabin.  That way, my original cabin showed up in inventory with a new lower price.  I then immediately changed cabins again back to my original cabin and got a significant price drop.  This was not an early saver rate (I think it was a past guest rate), so there was no problem in "downgrading."  There was a chance that in the couple of minutes that my original cabin was vacant that somebody else could have snatched it up, but, because it was a few hundred dollars, I took that chance, and it worked out for me.  I got the price drop and kept my preferred cabin.  I think if you have a good PVP or get a good agent on the phone, it makes a difference.