Bruges New Travel Restrictions

lonagarr

Having been able to access Bruges as and when we wanted when we lived in Belgium, I just don't know how they are going to restrict tourists - other than limiting or banning tourists on coaches.  

We've always been able to get there either by train or by car.  Most people on a cruise trying to get to Bruges would probably take the shuttle bus from Zeebrugge to Blankenberg (It's a short journey, so even a taxi wouldn't cost that much), and then from the shuttle bus drop off point it's a really short walk to the train station to go to (eg) Bruges.

Bruges itself might not like the restrictions - it feeds a lot of tourist businesses - so just like Venice, it's a case of wait and see.  However, I think it's a load of bunkum, the traders in both places rely on tourism, so I don't really see it happening.

I will point out though that 'facilities' were few and far between in Bruges, and that we used to use the 'facilities' (which had to be paid for to the service person) by the restaurant on the top floor of the small department store in the town centre.

Belgian chocolate - nowadays you can buy that anywhere, and believe you me, the majority of so-called Belgian lace sold in the tourist shops is made outside of Europe.  Why not try Ghent or Ypres and the immediate surrounding areas?  Hire a car, just make sure you're not late getting back to the ship.