Carrieres lumieres

shiphound

On 5/13/2019 at 8:52 AM, shiphound said:

I saw something about this show in some limestone caves not real far from Marseilles.  http://www.carrieres-lumieres.com/en/home  Does anyone know of an excursion that goes here?

Apparently in some limestone caves near Marseilles, there is an interesting show of Van Gogh.   http://www.carrieres-lumieres.com/en/home   We are on Celebrity Reflection in October and there is a Celebrity excursion called Villages of Provence where the explanation is:

Explore the culture, art, and history of Provence on this visit to two of the region’s charming villages: Saint-Rémy and Les Baux-de-Provence. Your adventure begins with a scenic stroll through the heart of Saint-Rémy-de-Provence. Experience some of the best shopping in Provence. Browse artisanal shops, galleries, craft stores, boutiques, and charming cafés. Discover the local artist studios. Visit one of the village’s impressive art galleries where you’ll view impressionistic art while listening to music. The art gallery is located in a stunning ancient quarry that has inspired the imaginations of artists and writers for centuries. Then, travel to the village of Les Baux-de-Provence, located on a rocky promontory 800 feet above sea level. Admire stunning examples of medieval and Renaissance architecture, and marvel at the town’s fortress overlooking the valley. Enjoy free time to wander the town, browse the shops, and explore local cafés.

Does anyone know if the "art gallery in the stunning ancient quarry" is the Carrieres Lumieres?  We will contact Celebrity, but our experience has been that people on the phone don't really know the details of the excursions, so we thought we would check here as well.

1 hour ago, shiphound said:

Apparently in some limestone caves near Marseilles, there is an interesting show of Van Gogh.   http://www.carrieres-lumieres.com/en/home   We are on Celebrity Reflection in October and there is a Celebrity excursion called Villages of Provence where the explanation is:

Explore the culture, art, and history of Provence on this visit to two of the region’s charming villages: Saint-Rémy and Les Baux-de-Provence. Your adventure begins with a scenic stroll through the heart of Saint-Rémy-de-Provence. Experience some of the best shopping in Provence. Browse artisanal shops, galleries, craft stores, boutiques, and charming cafés. Discover the local artist studios. Visit one of the village’s impressive art galleries where you’ll view impressionistic art while listening to music. The art gallery is located in a stunning ancient quarry that has inspired the imaginations of artists and writers for centuries. Then, travel to the village of Les Baux-de-Provence, located on a rocky promontory 800 feet above sea level. Admire stunning examples of medieval and Renaissance architecture, and marvel at the town’s fortress overlooking the valley. Enjoy free time to wander the town, browse the shops, and explore local cafés.

Does anyone know if the "art gallery in the stunning ancient quarry" is the Carrieres Lumieres?  We will contact Celebrity, but our experience has been that people on the phone don't really know the details of the excursions, so we thought we would check here as well.

Yes it is.

We visited the Carrieres Lumieres  on a private tour while on the Reflection a couple of years ago.

http://www.carrieres-lumieres.com/

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1

I highly recommend a visit to Carrieres Lumieres. It is a truly unique experience whether you are interested in art or not. 

We visited in October last year and really didn’t know what to expect. It’s held in a vast old quarry, underground, with soaring ceilings. Huge images are projected onto the quarry walls, which are irregular in shape and accompanied by a sound track as you walk through the darkened quarry. Surreal. 

It’s presented as a show which I think ran for about 30 minutes and is replayed on a loop. 

Spectacular is not an exaggeration. Still get goose bumps reminiscing about it. Plenty of other sights in the immediate area too. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Boatharbour said:

I highly recommend a visit to Carrieres Lumieres. It is a truly unique experience whether you are interested in art or not. 

We visited in October last year and really didn’t know what to expect. It’s held in a vast old quarry, underground, with soaring ceilings. Huge images are projected onto the quarry walls, which are irregular in shape and accompanied by a sound track as you walk through the darkened quarry. Surreal. 

It’s presented as a show which I think ran for about 30 minutes and is replayed on a loop. 

Spectacular is not an exaggeration. Still get goose bumps reminiscing about it. Plenty of other sights in the immediate area too. 

Yes.  I have heard wonderful things about it.  Right now the show is Van Gogh.

We did this excursion while on the Symphony of the Seas.  The description online said "visit a local art gallery".  Boy were we surprised when we got to the Carriers Lumieres! It is just a stunning display of technology and art.  We thought it was just going to be a short visit to a local gallery. 🙂 You cannot go wrong with this excursion. Les Beaux and St Remy were breathtaking too.  This was one of the highlights of our cruise!  I just ran out of the lavender soap I bought in St Remy, now I need to go back!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, scottygirl said:

We did this excursion while on the Symphony of the Seas.  The description online said "visit a local art gallery".  Boy were we surprised when we got to the Carriers Lumieres! It is just a stunning display of technology and art.  We thought it was just going to be a short visit to a local gallery. 🙂 You cannot go wrong with this excursion. Les Beaux and St Remy were breathtaking too.  This was one of the highlights of our cruise!  I just ran out of the lavender soap I bought in St Remy, now I need to go back!

Thanks.

On 6/15/2019 at 3:44 AM, C-Dragons said:

heart of Saint-Rémy-de-Provence. Experience some of the best shopping in Provence. Browse artisanal shops, galleries, craft stores, boutiques, and charming cafés. Discover the local artist studios. Visit one of the village’s impressive art galleries where you’ll view impressionistic art while listening to music. The art gallery is located in a stunning ancient quarry that has inspired the imaginations of artists and writers for centuries. Then, travel to the village of Les Baux-de-Provence, located on a rocky promontory 800 feet above

Be aware that the gallery in a quarry that they mention is in St Remy while the Carrieres de lumieres is located in Les Baux which is not an art gallery but a kind of light and sound presentation. You should spend about an hour here so check the duration of the tour to see if they can do that or ask for more details

We contacted customer service at Celebrity and they got back to us with more detail on this excursion.  The write up they have is that the excursion will visit the Cathedrale d'images.  When I googled Cathedrale d'images, I got https://www.myprovence.fr/en/travel-guide/entertainment/cultural-places/les-baux-de-provence/2568-cathedrale-d-images  The write up also described visiting a Van Gogh exhibit, so it sounds like it does go there.  We are supposed to have received an email with the write up, but have not gotten that yet.  I will post it when and if we get it.

10 hours ago, shiphound said:

We contacted customer service at Celebrity and they got back to us with more detail on this excursion.  The write up they have is that the excursion will visit the Cathedrale d'images.  When I googled Cathedrale d'images, I got https://www.myprovence.fr/en/travel-guide/entertainment/cultural-places/les-baux-de-provence/2568-cathedrale-d-images  The write up also described visiting a Van Gogh exhibit, so it sounds like it does go there.  We are supposed to have received an email with the write up, but have not gotten that yet.  I will post it when and if we get it.

That link is definitely to Carrieres de lumineres at Les Baux.  

Celebrity’s description is muddled though as it implies the “art gallery” is in a quarry in St Remy. It’s not. 

Van Gogh spent many years hospitalised in St Remy. Some of his most famous works were painted looking out at the views from his hospital room. There is a Van Gogh walk from the town centre that takes you to the institution where he stayed. It’s still in use today. 

We did a private excursion  in May from Marseille to Carrieres de lumineres with Provence Connection - 

http://www.provence-connection-tours.com/tour1.html.

It was a goose bump experience, loved it so much it was one of the highlights of our 6 week trip. We had a long port day so also made it to Pont du Gard, the popes palace in Avignon and several Van Gogh locations that still look remarkably the same today as they do in his paintings.

It was an amazing day!

The line for tickets was quite long, so if you go privately I strongly suggest you pre-purchase your tickets online as we went straight in with no waiting.