how steep Star gangway

grantyandgrandma

My DN will probably need to use Her walker to get from the shuttle to the ship and up the gangway is it steep? She is quite independent so doesn't like to make a fuss so Iam just trying to get some info. We are also bringing a wheelchair but will hope not to need it. It folds and we can carry it onto the ship. Sea air, nice fellow pax and pampered by staff hmmm she may even ditch the walker.

Are you talking Alaska or Mexico??

If you are talking Alaska. The gangway was not very steep in Seattle, Juneau or Victoria. Either Skagway or Ketchikan was very hard to get on and off on the gangway. (I think it was Ketchikan.)

In Juneau, they will tender you over (in the little boats) for the first few hours until they can dock later in the afternoon. Once they dock (about a mile from town -- there is a free shuttle), the gangway is not steep.

Gangways are unpredictable due to tides, will be "steeper" at times depending, on ports. So best would be to prepare her for the possibility of needing assistance which should be available. And go with her independence, it's a good thing. :)

It varies greatly how steep but believe me too steep for a walker. since you have a wheelchair with you USE IT. You will need to use it on the ship or she is never going to get anywhere or see anything.

I use a wheelchair and scooter myself.

call the cruiseline and tell them you will need boarding assistance they will have wheelchairs and attendents to push them, you can use your chair and an attendent will get you through check in and then push her up the gangway and onto the ship and to your cabin.

Have you visited the Disabled board on here? lots of good information there.

If you want independence then you use whatever tools give it to you. She doesn't like to make a fuss, well there will be more fuss over her falling on the unstable ship with a walker than if she allows someone to push her to where she is going.

The gangway out of Charleston was almost too steep for my MIL, who is very able to get around. And I had just pulled a muscle in my leg, and it was very difficult for me. Felt like Mt. Kilimanjaro (sp?)! But at other times it was much less steep. Be prepared.

Shay

Archived