scooter/cabs??

Marishabee2

I am taking my parents on a cruise this fall and this will be the first time with a scooter. We use a lift at home to load the scooter but will not have it along in florida. Do the cab drivers help you load it?? How much extra do you tip?? I realize I need a van taxi but can I expect he will help me load? We want to take our own instead of renting as we will be at the Holiday inn across from bayside and are hoping to spend the evening before enjoying Miami. Any hints on scooter travel would be appreciated.

Mary

We've always "ordered" a handicapped accessible taxi when we come out of the airport and get one that you can either drive up into, on a ramp, or that has a lift, that you drive on to, and it raises into the van. There are tie downs to keep the scooter from rolling. You do need to make sure you have a handicapped room at your hotel so that you can get the scooter into the door......... :) It's really not much trouble..........only thing different is that you might be waiting a little longer for an accessible taxi. There are also services that you can order accessible transportation ahead of time........you can Google for them, or maybe someone on this board will post.

We have used both regular as well as HC taxis. My husband uses a power chair that folds up and the cab drivers have been always placed his chair and all our luggage in the taxi for us.

I assume you have a HC cabin. If not, you will need one as most scooters are too wide for regular cabin doors and most cruise lines do not allow you to leave scooters in the hall..

As far as suggestions for scooter travel:

- Take any removable, breakable parts on the plane with you

- Take a extension cord with you in case the placement of the cabin plug is

not a good place to park the scooter during recharging. A surge protector

or other multi-plug unit is a good idea too since there is usually only one

plug in the room

- Consider taking (or renting) a manual chair in addition to the scooter for

use in ports that do not have curb cuts.

Hi Mary,

I use a Pride Go-Go scooter which is 18.5" wide and 37" long. It has three wheels. I think the 4 wheeled version is 20" wide. I've never had a problem going through "normal" doorways, either at home, in a hotel, or on a cruise. Once in awhile the cabins are too small to enter and turn the scooter around. When that happens, I back into the room as it is easier than backing out. At least I know I won't be running over anyone :).

It really does depend on the type and size of scooter you will be using, as to whether you will need HC rooms/cabins or not. Also, just how much mobility the person has. For instance, I can walk some, just not very far. I can also do the step up into the bathroom on the ship. What I can't do is step into a bathtub to take a shower. Once you determine the limitations you can usually figure out how to solve any problems.

If you are staying in the Holiday Inn in Miami they may know who to call for taxi-van service for sightseeing. I would certainly ask them for a recommendation.

We have always found that the drivers are willing to "load" the scooter but we sometimes have to tell them the best way to lift it or place it in their vehicles. I put signs on mine that say LIFT HERE. People who don't know often try to lift it by the tiller and the seat.

Also, do put address labels on each part of the scooter.

If you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to answer if I can.

IrisF

Thanks for all the useful information. I was going to rent a scooter for a week and the cheapest I could find $245. So I just bought go-go for $795 online with all the extras, free shipping and no sales tax. I test drove one at a local store but they we $300 more for the same model. Sailing 2/19/06 on costa magica.

Archived