Stockholm in July, HOHO or ship transfer?

Hi,

We will be on the NCL Getaway in July and I am trying to decide between the HOHO bus or to get the ship's transfer to Gamla Stan. We want to see the Vasa museum (what a surprise!) and a couple of other smaller museums on Djurgarden then I would like to visit the Nobel museum and wander around Gamla Stan. We are docking at Nynashamn so I know we have to allow 2 hours of our day just for travel to Stockholm.

Would just like to hear opinions on the HOHO vs just getting dropped off in Gamla Stan.

Thanks!

We docked in Nynashamn last  year and did the HOHO bus from the port. We thought it was a good choice because it not only gave us transportation into the city and back to the ship but also sightseeing and transportation around the city. It dropped us in a location convenient for walking to the castle and other sights in Gamla Stan and they gave us good instructions for when to meet back at the drop-off point to go back to the ship. We also did the HOHO boat cruise while there.

• 2 weeks later...

I too would appreciate any additional comments. We’ll be visiting in August (on a cruise) so I researched the HoHo buses and boat tours. Many negatives noted, most importantly the long wait time between buses. There was also a suggestion to use the very efficient public transportation instead. Not sure which way we should go. 

As for public transport from Nynäshamn to Stockholm.

You could walk (or pay for the shuttle bus) from the ship to the train station in Nynäshamn and
go with commuter train to Stockholm city station. Then you have to walk about 100-150 meters to
 where the tram departs. The tram will take you to Vasa (Nordiska museet/Vasa stop).

From Vasa to Old town you can use the harbour ferry Djurgårdsfärjan (runs every 10-15 minutes),
and then just walk from Old town to Stockholm city station.

However remember that train traffic might suffer from delays due various reasons,
such as people taking short cuts over the tracks (=traffic is stopped).

However the HoHo buses are not really a good way of transporting yourselves around
since it won't go straight from Vasa to Gamla stan but rather a detour around the city (like Frihamnen)
so it takes extra time to get from Vasa to Gamla stan while Djurgårdsfärjan goes straight
from Djurgården to Skeppsbron (Gamla stan). Occasionally it might stop at Skeppsholmen

(but I thinks it's quite rare with passengers to/from Skeppsholmen).

We are also going in July on NCL Getaway and decided to just do the ship transfer. I would do the train, but my mom has some mobility issues and I think that is the easiest for our family. I was going to do HOHO bus - but after reading so many negative reviews I opted to go this route instead. Think it really depends on what you want to see. Planning on taking the ferry to see Vasa, then ferry back to Gamla Stan. If we have time I might squeeze in City Hall. If not - just walk around Gamla Stan and get back on the ship.

What I read about HOHO - is that often you might be waiting for the bus to get filled before it will depart. And it didn’t go straight to places we wanted to go too. With the shore excursion credit, it made more sense for our family. Train honestly seems like a really good option, but I don’t want my mom to get tired before we’ve even begun sightseeing. Good luck!

This is what we did in June: looked at the transpo options at the little store right outside ship: HOHO bus route map looked inconvenient, also seemed expensive. They also had the train schedule there (or look up online), seemed like one was leaving soon so we bought at that shop an all day card that worked on all public transportation (train, bus, tram, ferry - so easy!). To get to the Nynashamn train station you can walk- I saw several people do this, following a blue line marked on the sidewalks- probably would take you 15-25 mins depending on how fast you walk. Our ship ended up offering $5 dollar shuttle bus to the station, took 5 mins so we did that. Took 45-50 mins on train I think, to Stockholm City stop. When we exited I asked workers/info desk how to get to Vasa, they said a tram is right outside across the street, also gave us a transportation map. After visiting Vasa, I asked the museum worker how to get to Gamla Stan, they said the ferry is a a few minutes' away- walk toward the water. The weather was great and so the 7-10 min or so ferry ride was extra beautiful! I ended up taking a detour to have lunch at Gondolen (a bit of a walk from where ferry dropped us, but nice, unique place high up). Then we walked to Gamla Stan, enjoying the sights (some areas very touristy though) and the best fika break at hidden garden of Grillska Huset! (A must is the cinnamon bun). There are many informative walking tours offered in Gamla Stan, we eavesdropped on some (not on purpose, it was just hard to avoid hearing them, there were so many!) From Gamla, I debated taking a tram back into the main city but we ended up walking across the pretty bridge all the way back, also managed to walk around City Hall area- very pretty. They hold the Nobel Prize banquet there every year. Then we just asked people where train station was. It wasn't too far. Look for commuter train signs once there. We shopped a little there waiting for our train to Nynashamn. ONE CON: The train experienced an unexpected delay. In retrospect, I should have just stayed on the train but we got off after it had stopped for like 10 mins. We found other, fellow cruise goers outside who tried to call back to the ship or order ubers. In the end, we got a taxi and it cost us $90 USD shared between 4 passengers. So beware! Don't wait for the absolute latest train! I wouldn't say it ruined the trip-  Stockholm was so pretty. Maybe if we missed the ship haha. It was an extra cost yes, but it gave us a story to tell! Enjoy your trip and hope you have good weather! 

10 minutes ago, Mandika said:

This is what we did in June *text*.

The tram that you can use to get to Vasa departs from Klarabergsgatan, next to Åhléns department store.
From Stockholm City you can use several different exits but Klarabergsgatan exit is probably  the best one to use.
The tram stop is just to the right when you get out.

Also there is no trams to/from Gamla Stan, just head left at the Palace and then right on Västerlånggatan.
Continue straight ahead past the parliament (Stallbron, Riksgatan & Riksbron) then take a left onto Strömgatan
after the second bridge (Riksbron).  Then just left and then right past Sheraton.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/59.3284181,18.0637901/Stockholm+City/@59.3303211,18.0584511,151m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m14!4m13!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d18.0631018!2d59.3283117!3s0x465f9d5f75d8fd83:0x9509898c4cab7c93!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f9d607c0d4e79:0xaf45e010e373b0b8!2m2!1d18.0581951!2d59.3301694!3e2

Comments please for 4 older cruisers as a plan for Stockholm:  Take a trip on HOHO from dock at about 9AM, getting off at the VASA museum.  Then take ferry to the Gamia Stan for a walk around & maybe lunch before taking a taxi back to the dock.  Our NCL cruise leaves Stockholm at 4PM.  We realise that we can't "see everything" & are not interested in a death march.  We are not too concerns about reasonable costs........guys, if you spend all this money for a cabin, a hundred dollars or so to move four people to see such a beautiful city as Stockholm is not asking too much to us.

Thanks in advance for your input.

On 7/12/2019 at 1:16 AM, TheBear60 said:

Comments please for 4 older cruisers as a plan for Stockholm:  Take a trip on HOHO from dock at about 9AM, getting off at the VASA museum.  Then take ferry to the Gamia Stan for a walk around & maybe lunch before taking a taxi back to the dock.  Our NCL cruise leaves Stockholm at 4PM.  We realise that we can't "see everything" & are not interested in a death march.  We are not too concerns about reasonable costs........guys, if you spend all this money for a cabin, a hundred dollars or so to move four people to see such a beautiful city as Stockholm is not asking too much to us.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Depends on where your ship will berth but as far as I can see your ship will berth at Frihamnen and

then public bus #76 would be a better choice than HoHo buses.