Some thoughts on minibuses and transportation to Horseshoe Bay

Charles4515

I booked a last minute cruise Bermuda and New England Cruise that called at King's Wharf for one and a half days. Since I am returning in August on a ship that docks at Hamiltion and St. George I  decided to do the beach walk from Warwick Long Bay to Horseshoe Bay the first day as we arrived at 11:00 AM and Horseshoe Bay the second day. At the dock the $7 minibuses were readily available and the driver of the next van to Horseshoe agreed to drop me off at Warwick. He charged an additional $1 over the $7 which was nice. I gave him $10 for doing that.  I took the minibus back from Horseshoe and the minibus there and back the next day. Since I was solo on this cruise the minibus was the best option. Also the public buses and ferries were not operating do to a union action until the afternoon the first day.   I checked the new public bus stop the the Clocktower Mall the next day and noticed long lines for the bus and noticed that moving the bus stop did achieve a purpose, people getting off the bus went into the mall. The minibues go to the bottom of the hill at Horseshoe and picks up at the bottom which is a big advantage over the public bus. A negative about the minibuses from when I started taking them a few years ago is that the minibus drivers have added seats, and added jump seats. Back then the buses had 12 or 15 and filled up fast. All the minibuses I went on I counted about 30 or so people crammed in with someone in every jump seat. They would not leave until very seat is filled. So it takes longer before they leave and longer to get off than before. Also I don't think 30 people crammed on those minibuses with no seatbelts is safe. If there is an accident the passengers are going to be crushing each other.  Greed has won the day. In my opinion with this situation the best way but unfortunately the most expensive way to get to Horseshoe is by taxi. If you have four or more definitely share a taxi. Consider it if you are two or three. Or find others to make a group of four to share a taxi with. Personaly I don't think I will take the minibus again unless I am solo. I will take a taxi if two or more even with the extra costs. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2019 at 11:55 AM, Hatteras51 said:

Is this one way or round trip?

On 6/23/2019 at 11:57 AM, njhorseman said:

That's one way.

There are 5 adults in our party. Are there taxis that can accommodate 5 agults?

5 hours ago, p2lockhart said:

There are 5 adults in our party. Are there taxis that can accommodate 5 agults?

Yes, there are plenty of taxis that will accommodate up to 7 people. The rate will be different. The rates that were mentioned above were 1-4.  The 5 -7 rate will be about $43.

EEB7DE7B-D66D-411C-8863-16244444082C.jpeg